The Student Room Group

Getting into cambridge?

Hi everyone, was just wanting to ask for everyone’s honest opinions. I believe my chances of getting into Cambridge are jeopardised due to my GCSE’s

I am 17, From Northern Ireland, in state school, studying A level English Lit, Gov and Politics, and History in Lower Sixth (Year 13 NI, Year 12 Eng). I hope to study either English, History, or Politics at uni or a combination of English and History or History and Politics (Currently undecided about the course as you may have guessed.

My GCSE Results

GCSE History A
GCSE English Language B
GCSE English Literature B
GCSE Maths B
GCSE Food and Nutrition B
GCSE Religious Studies B
GCSE Business Studies C*
GCSE Single Award Science C*
GCSE Spanish C
(1 A, 5 B’s, 2 C*’s, 1 C)

I know within myself that I have the capability to do very well at A Level, and in my upcoming mocks, I am going to work especially hard due to my high aspirations for uni. I believe in the Mocks I could achieve A* A* A (if not higher) and could achieve this on results day.

I am worried as I know that uni’s look at GCSE results, and overall, I am happy with my results. I did 9 GCSE’s in total which is 1 more than most people in Northern Ireland, But everyone interested in Oxbridge seems to have got like 4 A*s and 6 A’s.

Could I still have a realistic chance with my application if I achieve outstanding Mock results, and a personal statement to blow off their hats? I do have family links at Cambridge but I know that doesn’t mean diddly to them, but it’s a conversation starter I suppose?

If I DO have a chance, what extra/super-curriculars would be recommended? I have good work experience to talk about (BBC/ITV) with an interest in a career in Journalism, but is there any further education courses etc that could help benefit my application in any way?

Thanks all,
Ryan Smyth
My cousin's friend applied for Computer Science at King's College, Cambridge University in October 2000 and got an interview despite having only 5 B grades and 4 C grades at GCSE. Although he had AAA predicted in Maths, Physics and Chemistry and a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement. So you have a good chance, as long as you gain A star A star A in your A-Levels. 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
My cousin's friend applied for Computer Science at King's College, Cambridge University in October 2000 and got an interview despite having only 5 B grades and 4 C grades at GCSE. Although he had AAA predicted in Maths, Physics and Chemistry and a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement. So you have a good chance, as long as you gain A star A star A in your A-Levels. 🙂

Was he accepted?
Original post by rsmyth492
Was he accepted?

He got interviewed as he had AAA predictions and a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement. However, he did not prepare well for the interviews, if he had, he would have been accepted but instead he was rejected and went to Imperial College London.
Original post by rsmyth492
Hi everyone, was just wanting to ask for everyone’s honest opinions. I believe my chances of getting into Cambridge are jeopardised due to my GCSE’s

I am 17, From Northern Ireland, in state school, studying A level English Lit, Gov and Politics, and History in Lower Sixth (Year 13 NI, Year 12 Eng). I hope to study either English, History, or Politics at uni or a combination of English and History or History and Politics (Currently undecided about the course as you may have guessed.

My GCSE Results

GCSE History A
GCSE English Language B
GCSE English Literature B
GCSE Maths B
GCSE Food and Nutrition B
GCSE Religious Studies B
GCSE Business Studies C*
GCSE Single Award Science C*
GCSE Spanish C
(1 A, 5 B’s, 2 C*’s, 1 C)

I know within myself that I have the capability to do very well at A Level, and in my upcoming mocks, I am going to work especially hard due to my high aspirations for uni. I believe in the Mocks I could achieve A* A* A (if not higher) and could achieve this on results day.

I am worried as I know that uni’s look at GCSE results, and overall, I am happy with my results. I did 9 GCSE’s in total which is 1 more than most people in Northern Ireland, But everyone interested in Oxbridge seems to have got like 4 A*s and 6 A’s.

Could I still have a realistic chance with my application if I achieve outstanding Mock results, and a personal statement to blow off their hats? I do have family links at Cambridge but I know that doesn’t mean diddly to them, but it’s a conversation starter I suppose?

If I DO have a chance, what extra/super-curriculars would be recommended? I have good work experience to talk about (BBC/ITV) with an interest in a career in Journalism, but is there any further education courses etc that could help benefit my application in any way?

Thanks all,
Ryan Smyth

If you have the A level (or equivalent) predictions needed for the course, then you are fine to apply. Cambridge understand a) the context of where you took your exams and b) that trajectories and interests change.

Look at reading additional books around your subject and forming opinions and ideas around what you have read.
Original post by thegeek888

You should stop telling this story now. Some of the people how are now making admissions decisions at Cambridge were taking their GCSEs at the same time! The 2000 admissions process has nothing to do with the 2024 admission process.
Original post by threeportdrift
You should stop telling this story now. Some of the people how are now making admissions decisions at Cambridge were taking their GCSEs at the same time! The 2000 admissions process has nothing to do with the 2024 admission process.

The admissions process is still pretty much the same. Because the entry requirements have only gone from AAA to A*AA. Also, the interviews still took place, which were in a similar format. I was only trying to prove, that as long as the OP has or exceeds the entry requirements, then he will be interviewed by a Cambridge University College and perhaps even made an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending