The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Before you buy any car make sure you know what your consumer rights are. Although most dealers are reputable you need to take precautions by following advice at consumerdirect.gov.uk/cars

•Ask the dealer the right questions such as
oWhat mechanical history and mileage checks have they done on the car you want to buy?
oHow many former owners has the car had and is the full service history available?
oHas the car been modified from its original specification?
oIs the car ex-hire or similar?
•Ask for important information and answers to your questions to be put in writing before you buy so you have proof of claims - don't just rely on verbal claims or promises by the seller.
•Find out about the dealer's customer complaint procedures and whether they are signed up to a code of practice - if a problem does arise after the sale you need to know who to contact.
•Remember that if you buy a car from a private seller or an auction, you may pay less but you will have fewer legal rights than when buying from a dealer.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201037367958523/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2006 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 S 64 £3,395 29,587 miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201024361396676/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2007 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 E 55 £3,495 46,461 miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201031364797264/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2005 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 E 55 £3,495 8,759 miles

Are these too good to be true? I know nothing of cars but from what i've seen looking around these look too cheap.. opinions please. Thanks
Reply 1982
My sister was selling her 05 Citroen C2, which had only 25,000 miles on the clock for only £2750 (how cheap!?!) so as this was such a good deal, I snapped her up on the offer (although I couldnt actually drive and had never even had a lesson before). I started lessons so decided to tax and insurer my car so I could do a few lessons in that too. Ive also had it serviced and paid for its MOT. Anyway ive failed my test twice now and thinking I might just give up as I work in the town and dont really need a car, but as it was so cheap and ive spent all that money on it, do you think I should just keep it and try and pass my test... ?
Squ33zed
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201037367958523/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2006 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 S 64 £3,395 29,587 miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201024361396676/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2007 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 E 55 £3,495 46,461 miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201031364797264/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/122673/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

2005 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 E 55 £3,495 8,759 miles

Are these too good to be true? I know nothing of cars but from what i've seen looking around these look too cheap.. opinions please. Thanks

Those are suspiciously cheap - on close inspection the 2007 is a cat C which explains the lower price. This means it's been the victim of significant damage, enough for insurance companies to deem it not worth repairing so it was written off.

As for the 2005 with such low miles, it's either been clocked (total miles artificially reduced) or it really has just been used to run to the corner shop and back. It's also cat C.

The 2006 is also cat C so don't bother with any of them.

Your instinct will nearly always be right, if it's too cheap to be the real deal then it probably is. Dealers are not stupid, they will always mark up a car over its normal price- they certainly won't undervalue it.
If you want a good car for your money then go for a higher mileage example- I'd suggest going for ones with 50k+ on the clock, but not over 80 if you're going for a petrol as most cars tend to need some work done as they approach 100k. Not all do but it's good practice to not go too high.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1984
Why is it that when I go to gocompare.com looking for an insurance quote for cars that I am considering the insurance is almost always £3000, even with the Pass Plus? I know of loads of people who have got their insurance for £2000 or cheaper, and the cars I am looking at are mostly in insurance groups 2, 3 or 4, so how can I get the price down (I don't want to use the "fronting" method by the way lol)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1985
Presidential
Polo:45000 miles
Golf:50000 miles
Yaris:40000 miles

Which is most reliable and likely to last at least 5 years?

Definitely consider the Golf, avoid the Yaris unless you want to risk accelerating uncontrollably :wink:
jkmm91
Why is it that when I go to gocompare.com looking for an insurance quote for cars that I am considering the insurance is almost always £3000, even with the Pass Plus? I know of loads of people who have got their insurance for £2000 or cheaper, and the cars I am looking at are mostly in insurance groups 2, 3 or 4, so how can I get the price down (I don't want to use the "fronting" method by the way lol)?

There's a lot more to insurance pricing that the group of the car. What are the cars you're looking at? Do you live in a high-risk area? Are they new/expensive cars?

Have you tried adding your parents as named drivers?
my first car was given to me by my father...i wont say what the car is but the insurance is a hefty 55k
Lionslayer
my first car was given to me by my father...i wont say what the car is but the insurance is a hefty 55k

Pics or it didn't happen.
iwantcheese5

i could show you pictures but whats the point...i dont need to prove anything to you + some ass scratched it with a key last week
my first car is a baby blue chevrolet matiz and yes i am proud of that fact! ive brought down the average owners age from infinity down to a mere 100million years old. im planning on painting on some go faster stripes and then perhaps modifying the car itself....anyone have any suggestions? im thinking ill have a look into doing something with the engine
jimmyreed112
my first car is a baby blue chevrolet matiz and yes i am proud of that fact! ive brought down the average owners age from infinity down to a mere 100million years old. im planning on painting on some go faster stripes and then perhaps modifying the car itself....anyone have any suggestions? im thinking ill have a look into doing something with the engine

The only thing you should do is get the car serviced - anything else and you're just throwing money away. Spend money on things like tyres and brakes rather than modding the engine.
kerb123
Looking for a car under £1000. Must be pretty good on fuel. Those are the only requirements really.

Yea probably the mark 4 golf... that's the last boxy looking golf, incredibly reliable and will take abit of a bashing from your mates (also pretty roomy inside)
Lionslayer
i could show you pictures but whats the point...i dont need to prove anything to you + some ass scratched it with a key last week

iwantcheese5

If I show you pictures, how do you know its not someone else's car?
Lionslayer
If I show you pictures, how do you know its not someone else's car?

Just because you don't actually have a car that cost 55k to insure...
You couldn't even think of a car that your father could give you that would be worth a figure in that ball park and instead said "i wont say what the car is".

Cool story bro.

To summarise: Pics or it didn't happen.
iwantcheese5
Just because you don't actually have a car that cost 55k to insure...
You couldn't even think of a car that your father could give you that would be worth a figure in that ball park and instead said "i wont say what the car is".

Cool story bro.

To summarise: Pics or it didn't happen.

so your telling me that you want a picture of a car that insurance cost 55k ooooorrrr thetype of car it is? why do you care? do i know you from college?
(edited 13 years ago)
Lionslayer
so your telling me that you want a picture of a car that insurance cost 55k ooooorrrr thetype of car it is? why do you care? do i know you from college?

I think he cares because you made a ridiculous statement, which will be considered a lie till you prove it.
And if you didn't feel the need to prove you drive this car then why did you feel the need to say you did?
jsingh92
I think he cares because you made a ridiculous statement, which will be considered a lie till you prove it.
And if you didn't feel the need to prove you drive this car then why did you feel the need to say you did?

I don't need to prove it, I was merely stating a fact regarding insurance.
if i was to prove it, how would i be going prove such a sentence would be true? i could upload a picture, but there are hundreds of cars which are the same.
If i was to tell you the type of car it is, then you would still consider that a lie too.

By definition there is no actual way to prove such theory without physical appearance. UTO

Any suggestions?
Lionslayer
I don't need to prove it, I was merely stating a fact regarding insurance.
if i was to prove it, how would i be going prove such a sentence would be true? i could upload a picture, but there are hundreds of cars which are the same.
If i was to tell you the type of car it is, then you would still consider that a lie too.

By definition there is no actual way to prove such theory without physical appearance. UTO

Any suggestions?

Get a bit of paper with TSR written in green ink and put it in the windscreen of said car and take a photo. If you do that then it's true, if not then it's not. Hardly rocket science.

Latest

Trending

Trending