The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My post shows what can be had on his budget, now op should have a clearer idea on what can be expected.

Why not buy a cheap petrol and spend the rest on fuel, with diesels your going to be thinking about injectors, turbos etc.

Just tried insurance for my brother, he is 17, for the jag its 2500 for the mondeo its 2300 , so...... op is around 21 i think. This shoulnt be a major concern for insurance.

he hasnt asked for 4 pots he said they will do. Look at what hes origianlly looking at, my choices are hardly that much of a step up.

You are a tit tbh.

If he had a slightly higher budget he could have a 530i very easily and comfortably. Know plenty of people with them at around that age, insured fine.
I can get insured on a 55 reg mondeo for just over 1000.
Toyota Aygo :smile:
now try a 530i
Reply 384
I'd be looking at things like this if I were in your position > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/536476.htm
ok this might sound stupid, but how do u flash your lights at someone? i know how to turn my headlights on, but do u just quickly turn them on and off or is there like a quicker button to do so. lol i know that sounds stupid but just wondering x
WelshBluebird
Haven't passed my test yet (july 2nd) but am just having a browse around for something cheap really. Don't exactly want to spend more than 2 grand (for the car and insurance).

Tough to do I realise, and may well be impossible, but any ideas?

Doesn't seem like this is going to happen at all.
Having had a look around, the cheapest quote I can get to insure anything seems to be around £2000 :eek:
Anyone got any ideas?
WelshBluebird
Having had a look around, the cheapest quote I can get to insure anything seems to be around £2000 :eek:
Anyone got any ideas?

What companies have you tried and are you the only driver?
Reply 388
monica7790
ok this might sound stupid, but how do u flash your lights at someone? i know how to turn my headlights on, but do u just quickly turn them on and off or is there like a quicker button to do so. lol i know that sounds stupid but just wondering x

Hahaha, I remember wondering the EXACT same thing when I first passed my test.

You just use your 'full beam light' stick, and pull it to you and then forward again really quick :smile: There's no quick button sadly. That's pretty quick though!
Reply 389
WelshBluebird
Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried gocompare and confused.com? They list LOADS of companies.

Have you done your passplus? I know that can take a fair amount of money off of your insurance too.

Cheaper car perhaps? Corsa's are pretty cheap to buy and get insurance for.

Edit: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buying/buying_a_car.jsp - AutoTrader is your friend! Take one of your parents along too! My dad always end up getting money off for me... Mwahahahaha :smile: People normally put the car up for more than it's worth on autotrader anyway, as buyers always want the seller to come down in price. So you can usually knock a bit off the price they put the car up for.
ignore thought the thread was what is your first car .lol
DirtyHarry
What companies have you tried and are you the only driver?

Tried a couple of comparison websites -gocompare comparethemarket. Have had a quick glance at one of two of the insurer's website's too, but that hasn't got me anywhere either.

I've tried getting quotes with just me as the main driver, and with me as the main and my father as a named. Both come out around the same (my father hasn't actually driven since he passed his test 20 odd years ago, so that's why adding him isn't really making a difference).

edit - just had a look on confused and got £1600 for a 1999 corsa. Still more than I was hoping for, but a lot better than 2 grand.
dooshbag
First car in thailand was a bmw 630ci

Cost 3.5 million baht then 200% iport duty which made it something like 12 million baht overall....so it cost around £200,000 as 60 baht to £1 :rolleyes: Thailand insurance was around £700

In England my car is an e55 which cost around £35 grand, innsurance is a fleet policy which is around £1000 i believe.

Im an extreme exception to the british rule of starting of with small engines :biggrin: and i love my cars

Jammy ****er.
WelshBluebird
Tried a couple of comparison websites -gocompare comparethemarket. Have had a quick glance at one of two of the insurer's website's too, but that hasn't got me anywhere either.

I've tried getting quotes with just me as the main driver, and with me as the main and my father as a named. Both come out around the same (my father hasn't actually driven since he passed his test 20 odd years ago, so that's why adding him isn't really making a difference).

Adding a parent as an additional driver can only put the premium up.

Adding one as the main driver does quite the opposite.
DirtyHarry
Adding a parent as an additional driver can only put the premium up.

Adding one as the main driver does quite the opposite.

On the comparison sites anyway I get around the same quote for just me as I do for me and my dad. And confused.com has the quote of just me as £200 more than the quote for me and my father.

can't put my dad as a main driver really though, as I'm going to Bath uni in september. So being 70 miles away from home with the car isn't a good idea if its in his name lol.

Thanks though :smile:
Reply 395
WelshBluebird
On the comparison sites anyway I get around the same quote for just me as I do for me and my dad. And confused.com has the quote of just me as £200 more than the quote for me and my father.

can't put my dad as a main driver really though, as I'm going to Bath uni in september. So being 70 miles away from home with the car isn't a good idea if its in his name lol.

Thanks though :smile:

As I said in my above thread... do passplus. That should whack some money off.

What about just third party, fire and theft for your first year? That's what I had... depends how badly you want fully comp though I guess.

I only used my car to get to college and work, and not for any journeys longer than 20 minutes.. so I didn't see the point in all that money for fully comp.
lottie12
Hahaha, I remember wondering the EXACT same thing when I first passed my test.

You just use your 'full beam light' stick, and pull it to you and then forward again really quick :smile: There's no quick button sadly. That's pretty quick though!

thank you for replying. im glad i know how now! :smile:
lottie12
As I said in my above thread... do passplus. That should whack some money off.

What about just third party, fire and theft for your first year? That's what I had... depends how badly you want fully comp though I guess.

I only used my car to get to college and work, and not for any journeys longer than 20 minutes.. so I didn't see the point in all that money for fully comp.

worryingly, the quotes I got where third party fire and theft.
I'll have a look how much pass plus will take off later, to see if it's worth doing.
Cheers. :smile:
Reply 398
WelshBluebird
worryingly, the quotes I got where third party fire and theft.
I'll have a look how much pass plus will take off later, to see if it's worth doing.
Cheers. :smile:

Whatttt? That's ridiculous!!

I don't understand why it's so much for you :|

Fiat Punto perhaps? My friend has a 01 plate I think and his was £1600 fully comp without passplus... I think. Try that perhaps?
If you're going for third party rather than comprehensive then make sure your car is worth jack all.

Latest

Trending

Trending