The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
DirtyHarry
Yes but implying if it isn't German or Japanese then it's crap, is daft.

Generally, that is a good rule tho. Ford is the obvious exception.
Reply 581
German Cars FTW !!

Nah in all fairness you cant completely discount the other manufactueres.

Arosa would make a good first car, but they seem very expensive used (which is also a plus point) and you really have to rev the nuts out of that 1.0 to get any decent performance.
Reply 582
Yes... going german or jap. The car costs more in the first place and if something goes wrong it will cost even more to fix.
So I'm finally going to learn to drive and I'm going to buy my first car this summer. I've settled on the Toyota yaris and i was just wondering what people's experiences of this car have been? I thought I'd pay around £3000 - does this seem about right for a Toyota yaris?
Reply 584
£3000 would be more than enough for a decent condition low mileage 2002ish yaris.
My first car was a P reg 1.1 Saxo and I loved it! I had to put up with a lot of 'girl-racer' or 'chav' comments but I really loved that car until my boyfriend wrote it off :frown:

The car I'm driving now is a W reg Punto, 1.2 ELX and I love this even more! It's quite a big car actually, it sits tall and is quite wide but it's so easy to drive, it feels like driving a go-kart! I have had to do quite a bit of work (including a new engine after 75000 miles!) but I would reccommend this to anyone!
Reply 586
i got a 1.2 s volkswagen polo 2003 reg for 2200 from an auction, twas a bargain yes. insurance was good at 450 quid. i would recommend them, reliable, strong, good engine and comfortable.
What would you lot think about an estate car as a first?

I thought no way when my dad first mentioned it, what with parking and that but money doesn't grown on trees sadly.

It's my dad's girlfriend's 406 diesel and I'd get it very cheap at worst. Considering the fact I'll soon have a 25 mile drive to work every day as well.
Reply 588
I'd like more space than I get from a 306. Is it the original model or the facelift (99ish on I think)? The facelift 406 especially is still a fairly smart-looking car from the front.

Buying a larger regardless of whether it's an estate generally means more comfortable, more extras etc and they tend to be cheaper to buy, if you have no problem driving round in an estate, go for it.
V reg, so 99.

Only thing would be the insurance, although my Uncle owns an Insurance Brokers so hopefully I'd be able to get a decent deal.
Reply 590
BMW 525i (E34) ... what? I'm picking mine up later in the summer. :wink:
So I am close to getting a VW Polo Mk5/6N2 1.4 model, anything good or bad to say about this car.

The prices range from 2.5-3.5k, high to low mileage, not sure what to go for.
3.5k on a polo is just plain stupid imo.

CAnt you get something for 1.5 and save the rest for a better car later on.

The fact that you can comfortably get a 740i for 2k etc .
Bavarian Motor Works
3.5k on a polo is just plain stupid imo.

CAnt you get something for 1.5 and save the rest for a better car later on.

The fact that you can comfortably get a 740i for 2k etc .

The Polo will lose I guess 1k max over 1 year?

And a 740i is high insurance, high petrol, they are two different beasts really.

My dad won't let me buy an "old" car, so it has to be like Y-reg and aboce and low mileage. Hard to find something like that cheap.
Not everybody wants an old BMW..

Polos are nice cars, if you can afford it and find a nice one go for it!
The bmw wasnt my point :confused: the point is that you can comfortably get a large engine for such little money, 2000 is hardly old.

My point is hold of with spending so much money on a first car and just get a cheaper one then spend the saved money on your 2nd one .......
Large engine = large insurance, generally speaking.
Reply 597
Bavarian Motor Works
The bmw wasnt my point :confused: the point is that you can comfortably get a large engine for such little money, 2000 is hardly old.

My point is hold of with spending so much money on a first car and just get a cheaper one then spend the saved money on your 2nd one .......

yeah but for somesone who is 18 the insurance will be crazy, filling it up will be a nightmare and keeping it in good shape won't be fun, personally i would prefer a realticely new polo to an old 740i
Kshahin
yeah but for somesone who is 18 the insurance will be crazy, filling it up will be a nightmare and keeping it in good shape won't be fun, personally i would prefer a realticely new polo to an old 740i

Missing my point with the fact that spending so much money on what essentially is a crap car in the used car market is pointless....

Saving it and spending it on a 2nd car makes more sense...
Reply 599
depends how they are paying for it, if theyre parents are paying for it then they can essentially get what their parents are willing to get, however, if they are paying for it themselves then yeah i take your pont buy a cheap first car you can knock around and save money for a nicer 2nd car.

Latest

Trending

Trending