The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yvonnay
I'm looking at getting a Ka which I have found, looks pretty decent. It's going for 750 and is a 1998 one, but I think i would need to view first.

be very very very very aware of the amount of rust the earlier models rust like hell
yvonnay
I'm looking at getting a Ka which I have found, looks pretty decent. It's going for 750 and is a 1998 one, but I think i would need to view first.

brokenangel
be very very very very aware of the amount of rust the earlier models rust like hell

er, and lack of power steering... saying that, we have a P reg at work, and it's not rusted.. looked after ok though, only done 44k.

jus-mi
arghh car hunting is a nightmare!!...and those comparison sites are even worse!!!....i looked on diamond insurance ...and they quoted me £5k for compreh-watever..even tho i am a new driver most other places like tesco quoted me £2k....with a pegeout 206....i want a car ive passed but my budget is low...am looking at ford fiestas and my budget is 2k or less, and 2k is like a very tight stretch lol

£5k for fully comp on a pug!? even £2k is extreem you must live in some rough area or entered something wrong. i have a 206 and i'm getting insurance for £700.
i think if you want it cheaper, put a family member on who has been driving a while and has a good NCB and no accidents/speeding fines etc.. that'll knock your quote down a bit.

get a cinquicento and be done with it.
Reply 102
Power steering isn't really noticebale once your up to speed, just a pain for parking, but thats never bothered me.

Tested on a 1969 David Brown with 55 horses. :biggrin:
Reply 103
I've had quotes for £650 on my provisional that is funny comp and I live in the middle of Manchester, I expect that to come down to £400 in August :biggrin:

As for Ka rust, it varies, a friends 2000 KA has a rusted cross member and rust on the floor, where as others I have seen have none.
Reply 104
AT82
I've had quotes for £650 on my provisional that is funny comp and I live in the middle of Manchester, I expect that to come down to £400 in August :biggrin:

As for Ka rust, it varies, a friends 2000 KA has a rusted cross member and rust on the floor, where as others I have seen have none.

Where from!?
Reply 105
ellfaz
Where from!?

Directline
Reply 106
The quotes I get on Directline are around the £2,000 mark, in my own name!

How old are you?

and where in Manchester do you live? I live in Tameside, which is a relatively cheap area for Manchester
Reply 107
ellfaz
The quotes I get on Directline are around the £2,000 mark, in my own name!

How old are you?

and where in Manchester do you live? I live in Tameside, which is a relatively cheap area for Manchester

Chorlton :smile: What car are you looking to insure? I am 25 btw so that makes a big difference:wink:
young boys = mad insurance prices.

you have your chav-e-licious counterparts to blame for that.
Reply 109
AT82
Chorlton :smile: What car are you looking to insure? I am 25 btw so that makes a big difference:wink:

Tut here was me thinking you were 18 haha.

Ahh well if I want a car, guess I'll just have to put up with it
Reply 110
How are these 2 cars?

Price/reliability etc:

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/style_smallcar/details.asp?Id=367371

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/style_smallcar/details.asp?Id=371173

advice please:redface:

I know what u guys have suggested, but I gotta look at PRICE and MODEL:redface:
Reply 111
Both are a bit mad at them prices to be honest. You can buy a real car for that money (starts to sound like JC).
Reply 112
AT82
Both are a bit mad at them prices to be honest. You can buy a real car for that money (starts to sound like JC).

lol... and I just realised the Vauxhall is an automatic:s-smilie:

Any reason why Automatic cars are cheaper than Manual?
pumkin7 - some excellent advice here on cars

like to add how about the new mini nice look car ask me..?yay>?
lol thanks.

i know jack **** really :p: i'm just going by what i know we get in the service centre and what i've driven.
Reply 115
Another question. How much would INSURANCE cost for a relatively new VW POLO, i.e. 2007 model 8000 mileage. Forget car price for now lol...

I am 20 years old. Held a license for 1 year 8 months. No points/any rubbish.

It is possible to put my dad's name on the car as first driver if it is cheaper. He has a clean license, and 7 years No Claims Discount I think. I want a rough price if any1 knows. I dont think my dad's insurance company would be too keen on having to give me an insurance price on loads of cars lollll
Reply 116
If you put it on your dads name and he is not the main driver then you are committing fraud.
Reply 117
AT82
If you put it on your dads name and he is not the main driver then you are committing fraud.

nonono... the actual thing is, I am buying this car for my summer internship, and the rest of the year my dad will use it to go to work, so my mum doesnt have to drop him off. Why buy a car for a summer internship? Coz the trains would be a massive hassle, and hiring a car would mean wasting a lot of money, so might aswell buy one, and then he can use it to go to work.

So any ideas on price of insurance any1?
I'd prefer a big car...my favourites are big old cars that everyone thinks are ugly, like Volvos or Land Rovers.
I can't find any 'small car' I'd like though, which is sad, but I've looked at a few quotes (insurance quotes, I mean - that's my main worry) for mid-to-small-size cars like a Vauxhall Cavalier...but it's £1500 a year to insure. What the hell?!

Basically, my budget is max £1000 but I'd prefer to spend around £400-£700 if possible, and my insurance has to be lower than £1000! Quite a bit lower!

My dream car is a Land Rover Defender from before 1992ish, that runs on Diesel, which has actually turned out to be the cheapest I can find to insure at £900ish a year.

You can use eBay to show me things for sale if you like, or just name stuff and I'll look.
volov 940

Latest

Trending

Trending