The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

iwantcheese5
Well one last money question, how are you paying for insurance?

ATM, in terms of insurance my dad will be the main driver with me secondary. Again, I think it might be my dad/me going 50-50 on that but hopefully he will pay the chunk of it (fingers crossed lol!).

Thanks for the recommendations so far, will look into them.

If there's anymore that might be worth a look, let me know.

Cheers

:smile:
I saw a car for sale on the work notice board. A 52 Ford KA, done 39,000, think it's road tax is due next January and MOT is due in September. Asking price of £1800. Thoughts? First thought was that it was abit pricey at £1800, £1500 would have been ok but thats not me speaking of any great experience in car dealing etc.
Aky786UK
I saw a car for sale on the work notice board. A 52 Ford KA, done 39,000, think it's road tax is due next January and MOT is due in September. Asking price of £1800. Thoughts? First thought was that it was abit pricey at £1800, £1500 would have been ok but thats not me speaking of any great experience in car dealing etc.

Looking on parkers, it would depend on the engine size of said ka- if it is a standard 1.3l then probably not if it is a luxury model then it would be. however you could probably do better on ebay or autotrader then a works notice board.
Leighthesim
Looking on parkers, it would depend on the engine size of said ka- if it is a standard 1.3l

Yeah forgot to mention that, engine size is a 1.3
Aky786UK
Yeah forgot to mention that, engine size is a 1.3

it may be worth it actually looking at the going rate on ebay, but i have found a little red ka for 1390
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-FORD-KA-RED-TAX-MOT-and-full-service-history-/270570507628?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3eff424d6c#ht_500wt_1182

you just have to look around and see what you can find.
wouldnt mind a mk4 golf, but insurance prices are probably sky high, even for a 1.6 instead of a 2.0 gti. anyone know any quotes for a 1.6 golf? any other suggestions of cars like this that could be cheaper??
Reply 1786
school_is_boring
wouldnt mind a mk4 golf, but insurance prices are probably sky high, even for a 1.6 instead of a 2.0 gti. anyone know any quotes for a 1.6 golf? any other suggestions of cars like this that could be cheaper??

Quotes depend on where you live/your driving history ect. so it's best to do it yourself. Go to a price comparison website and bung your details in with the Golf as your car and it will let you know.
Leighthesim
it may be worth it actually looking at the going rate on ebay, but i have found a little red ka for 1390
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-FORD-KA-RED-TAX-MOT-and-full-service-history-/270570507628?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3eff424d6c#ht_500wt_1182

you just have to look around and see what you can find.

You can find better than that! My KA (which I got recently!) is the 'luxury' model and I got it for 1300. It's so pretty too :biggrin: I'm having trouble putting pics on atm, otherwise I'd show you.

It's worthwhile to try and buy from a private seller though, you'll get the better deal.
Have a look at 03+ Corsa 1.2 SXI's, they have a low insurance group (3/3E) and are still very nippy, with 0-60 in around 12s. They handle motorways quite well and there's plenty around so you have lots of choices.

Very safe too with an NCAP of 4 stars, which is nice. :yep:
I've just bought a 1.4 litre Peugeot 206, for £1000! Picking it up sometime this week!
PunkyFish-x
I've just bought a 1.4 litre Peugeot 206, for £1000! Picking it up sometime this week!

that is really good!!, i think i am going to get a 306 once i have past (quite goo insurance for a 2lt diesel engine)
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm gonna post the question here.

I have a 1.8l 35i 1990 Passat. I love the car to bits.
But I've been offered to tack on two grand and swap it for a '64 Mercedes W110 1.9D fintail. I've dreamed about getting one of these since I was 13.

My question being, do you guys think it's worth it?
Leighthesim
that is really good!!, i think i am going to get a 306 once i have past (quite goo insurance for a 2lt diesel engine)

Thanks! x When you thinking of buying your car? :smile:
PunkyFish-x
Thanks! x When you thinking of buying your car? :smile:

it will be in september, by the time i have saved all the moneys i need.
Reply 1794
What are your views on Ford Ka's? I need a car for regular motorway commuting, which I know the Ka's not designed for but do you think it will manage for a year? Any common problems? Whats the driving like?
bestie
What are your views on Ford Ka's? I need a car for regular motorway commuting, which I know the Ka's not designed for but do you think it will manage for a year? Any common problems? Whats the driving like?

It'd manage for a year or more quite happily in all likely hood, but you'll either get a very noisy journey or have absolutely no power when cruising at around 70.

Is there any reason why you want a KA specifically? If it's for a year you might want to consider something with a bigger engine and 100,000 or so miles on the clock. The high milage won't effect you much if it's only a year of driving; a lot of larger engines are good for 150,000miles some for nearer 200,000. Being a girl should mean you could insure a 2.0l or something for reasonable money.
Ford KA's are decent on the motorway, if the car's in good shape you'll easily get a year out of it. You shouldn't have too many problems apart from it might feel slightly 'sluggish' because of the small engine, but it's easy enough to get used to. Brilliant first car I'd say, I adore mine :yep:

Reply 1797
iwantcheese5
It'd manage for a year or more quite happily in all likely hood, but you'll either get a very noisy journey or have absolutely no power when cruising at around 70.

Is there any reason why you want a KA specifically? If it's for a year you might want to consider something with a bigger engine and 100,000 or so miles on the clock. The high milage won't effect you much if it's only a year of driving; a lot of larger engines are good for 150,000miles some for nearer 200,000. Being a girl should mean you could insure a 2.0l or something for reasonable money.

It was one I was offered. Thanks for your advice. I've decided to look at a bigger engine.
bestie
It was one I was offered. Thanks for your advice. I've decided to look at a bigger engine.

No problem, I hope you can find something that takes your fancy! It's worth while to do a few insurance quotes on somewhere like Confused.com to see what kind of money different engine sizes are gonna cost you to insure. I've found in the past that differnt cars of similar engine size/power have cost very different amounts to insure.
Reply 1799
does anyone know where i can get a 1970's or 1980's volkswagen beetle

Latest

Trending

Trending