The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For politics I read Bernard Crick`s In Defence of Politics and found it really provoking. I nevertheless get the feeling that he skates over some important issues. I liked the concept though. John Dunn`s "Western Political Theory in the Face of the Future" didn`t really get my attention. It`s really full of historcal data. His "Democracy: the unfinished journey" is far more interesting. I have just finished one book introducing social psychology which I found really cool and I also read one about sociology. I revised some of Machiavelli, Locke and Hobbes and I am reading Marx now(the Capital) :smile:
Sounds much but I am totally into the subjects so I read pretty fast.
Reply 21
ninjam
For politics I read Bernard Crick`s In Defence of Politics and found it really provoking. I nevertheless get the feeling that he skates over some important issues. I liked the concept though. John Dunn`s "Western Political Theory in the Face of the Future" didn`t really get my attention. It`s really full of historcal data. His "Democracy: the unfinished journey" is far more interesting. I have just finished one book introducing social psychology which I found really cool and I also read one about sociology. I revised some of Machiavelli, Locke and Hobbes and I am reading Marx now(the Capital) :smile:
Sounds much but I am totally into the subjects so I read pretty fast.

ok, i'm scared now.
Reply 22
Don`t be. I just get obsessed with the things I dig.
BTW, the reading takes place in between excessive partying.
I like variety. :smile:
Reply 23
Was Machiavelli on your reading list?
Reply 24
No. :smile: I`m interested in philosophy so I knew beforehand that he was influential political thinker. The same applies to Locke and Marx of course.
I don`t really stick to the reading list. I mean I checked out some of the books on it but I`ve been reading stuff I like mostly.
Reply 25
I haven`t really got acquainted with social anthropology yet though which is a shame couse it`s a sort of alternative (I mean not so focused on the Western world)subject. I remember reading a textbook some time ago but it was not especially impressive. There are a lot of options for anthropolgy on my reading list so I`ll try to check them out sometime in the futre. :smile:
Reply 26
ninjam
No. :smile: I`m interested in philosophy so I knew beforehand that he was influential political thinker. The same applies to Locke and Marx of course.
I don`t really stick to the reading list. I mean I checked out some of the books on it but I`ve been reading stuff I like mostly.

Ah right. I got The Prince for a similar reason and because I didn't think it was on the reading list and didn't want to look like I was copying it :biggrin:
Reply 27
If it helps, I'm going to study SPS in October and had to e-mail my Director of Studies who replied that he didn't expect students to have done much prep by the time they got to Cambridge.

I've tried to re-engage brain by stepping up my level of current affairs reading and maybe browsing the odd book here or there (although how you guys stuck with The Prince is beyond me), but I think we'll all be fine and shouldn't psych ourselves out before the course has even begun!
Reply 28
I have a question regarding thereading lists for SPS. Do all colleges send the same reading lists or do they differ in their suggestions?
Reply 29
satin
If it helps, I'm going to study SPS in October and had to e-mail my Director of Studies who replied that he didn't expect students to have done much prep by the time they got to Cambridge.

I've tried to re-engage brain by stepping up my level of current affairs reading and maybe browsing the odd book here or there (although how you guys stuck with The Prince is beyond me), but I think we'll all be fine and shouldn't psych ourselves out before the course has even begun!

Oh it's too historical for my tastes but there are some really good bits in it :smile:
What college are you going to be at btw?
Reply 30
satin

THANK YOU, i completely agree with you! from your "re-engage-brain" comment I assume you took a gap year...? or did the fall in brain activity occur during the summer? :wink:
I aslo agree with the brain reingagement activity, if only I could be bothered to read the papers :wink:

No, the college reading lists are different, or at least mine is from someone else's (but I can't remember who).
Reply 32
satin

I didn`t even bother reading The Prince. It`s not relevant. I mean if you want some real Machiavelli try reading The Discourses - it`s not bad at all :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending