The Student Room Group

Physics and Maths tutor

Has anyone just used the physics and maths tutor notes for science instead of the cgp guides and if you did how useful were they?
Reply 1
I’ll assume you’re talking about GCSEs.

I used both CGP and PhysicsandMathsTutor and they’re both good in their own way. To be honest, Physics and Maths tutor was only good for exam based revision - I focused more on content than application (which is why I think CGP is so useful)

It’s okay. Would definitely recommend the CGP Science books. They give all the information you need without any waffle. Got a 9-9 by using the revision guide heavily and creating flash cards from it.

Also FreeScienceLessons was amazing for understanding difficult concepts.
Got 9s without using the cgp science book. Mainly used freesciencelessons and physicsandmathstotur
Original post by dxnixl

I used both CGP and PhysicsandMathsTutor and they’re both good in their own way. To be honest, Physics and Maths tutor was only good for exam based revision - I focused more on content than application (which is why I think CGP is so useful)

It’s okay. Would definitely recommend the CGP Science books. They give all the information you need without any waffle. Got a 9-9 by using the revision guide heavily and creating flash cards from it.

I like the cgp guides but feel like for physics i wont be able to cover the content using cgps guides whilst pmt notes i feel as though i can but i look at my cgp guide to see if i missed anything vital and use the spec to.Thanks for the tip!
Original post by .unknown
Got 9s without using the cgp science book. Mainly used freesciencelessons and physicsandmathstotur

Thanks this reassured me alot did you make most notes from the pmt notes or freesciencelesson videos
Thankyou.
Original post by Exams2020123
Thanks this reassured me alot did you make most notes from the pmt notes or freesciencelesson videos
Thankyou.

I made notes from freesciecelessons and then using the pmt I added things that weren't mentioned in the freescincelessons videos
I made notes from freesciecelessons and then using the pmt I added things that weren't mentioned in the freescincelessons videos

Oh okay thankyou and sorry for the questions but do you know roughly how long it took you to complete your science content/revision using this method?
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh okay thankyou and sorry for the questions but do you know roughly how long it took you to complete your science content/revision using this method?

It took me like a month

Original post by dxnixl

Are past papers THAT important? I've made notes from freesciencelessons videos and am planning to memorise it all. I've done like bits of pmt exam practice for homework from time to time, but like honestly memorising content would mean you can think about how to apply it right? Is it impossible for me to an 8/9 memorising my freesciencelessons notes?
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
Are past papers THAT important? I've made notes from freesciencelessons videos and am planning to memorise it all. I've done like bits of pmt exam practice for homework from time to time, but like honestly memorising content would mean you can think about how to apply it right? Is it impossible for me to an 8/9 memorising my freesciencelessons notes?

Some people might disagree with me but in my opinion past papers arent important at gcse level. I rarely used past papers and that didnt prevent me from getting 9s. I think the most important thing is to really understand the content. When you actually understand what is going on you will be able to apply it to unfamiliar situation.
Original post by TakeALittleWalk

idk if ur still looking for answers but I am in year 11 now and obviously I'm not sitting my gcse but for all the end of topic tests I was getting 7/8/9 in sciences by just memorising my notes which I made from free science lessons. past papers didn't really help me for anything apart from biology and I only did 1 before my paper one mock and I got a 9 in that paper.
Original post by shady1402
idk if ur still looking for answers but I am in year 11 now and obviously I'm not sitting my gcse but for all the end of topic tests I was getting 7/8/9 in sciences by just memorising my notes which I made from free science lessons. past papers didn't really help me for anything apart from biology and I only did 1 before my paper one mock and I got a 9 in that paper.

Yh in the last week and few days of school, memorised notes were literally spoonfeeding me my answers. 'Application' of your knowledge really isn't a problem at GCSE. Can't assume it'll be the same for A level tho lol
Original post by Shadbury

Yes they are, it depends on your exam board. Alot of people will boast about how they didn't need past papers but in reality the exam board they used was probably one where all the questions are easy but there is just alot of them ( I believe its OCR? ). Past papers are really useful because it gives you a sense on the styling of questions and it helps improve problem solving for the questions later which can be really challenging.
Reply 13
Has anyone just used the physics and maths tutor notes for science instead of the cgp guides and if you did how useful were they?

I would suggest using a wide range of differnet notes to help you make your own. CGP doesnt have enough detail, but its great if you wanna quickly go over everything. PMT is weird in that they often have too much detail for some topics and too little detail for others. Thats why u need to use lots of different ones to see what u need

Quick Reply

Latest