The Student Room Group

Rugby league to union convert

I currently play rugby league which is summer rugby and heard rugby union is a winter season so thought I'd try and give it a go and keep fit all year round. I know the rules are different but currently play at prop forward but can play loose forward decent ish hands for a big lad haha but what would I suit in union and whats difference in game styles ?
Hi mate, I'm from a League background but switched to Union when I was 13 ish and switched towns.

Depending on how big you are, number 8 sounds like an option. They're normally the best ball carriers in the team. Flanker is difficult for someone switching codes because they're job is to be good in and around the breakdown and that takes a while to learn.

General differences are you don't work as hard. In League you might 15 plus carries and 30 plus tackles, Union you'll do a lot less work. Another underrated one is your body angle when you carry the ball, a lot of League forwards run upright and try and bust through tackles, in Union you'll want to keep your body lower so they don't rip the ball off you or hold you up.

What's your League club?
(edited 5 years ago)
Having gone from Union prop to League prop - I'd say you'd be ok to play at 8. When I go back, I've found myself comfortably the fittest forward on the park in any games at my level - although I'm quite slow so perhaps the lack of speed helps there.

I'd say either Flanker, or Number 8 if your a stereotypical League Prop. Alternatively - learn the dark arts of scrummaging properly :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest