The Student Room Group

AS LEVEL MATH CIE . Paper 1

The function g is defined by g:x →c+d sinx for x∈R . The range of g is given by−4≤g(x)≤10

Can someone tell me how to do it , I know that I should use simultaneous equations but what about the sinx , I just don’t know how to solve it , can someon please tell me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Universecolors
The function g is defined by g:x →c+d sinx for x∈R . The range of g is given by−4≤g(x)≤10

Can someone tell me how to do it , I know that I should use simultaneous equations but what about the sinx , I just don’t know how to solve it , can someon please tell me

sin x can go between -1 and 1. Your range has length 14. That should help you to find d.
Original post by tiny hobbit
sin x can go between -1 and 1. Your range has length 14. That should help you to find d.

So I should write c+dSIN(-1)=4 and the other the other way round ?
So I should write c+dSIN(-1)=4 and the other the other way round ?

Can you please tell me how
Can you please tell me how

c + d(-1) = -4 and c + d(1) = 10 if you want simultaneous equations.

Thank you very much , it will be the same if that sine was cosine right ?
Thank you very much , it will be the same if that sine was cosine right ?

Yes
Yes

Alright thank you

But what it was tan , sorry to bother with all these questions
But what it was tan , sorry to bother with all these questions

It couldn't be asked for tan, since tanx goes between - infinity and + infinity
It couldn't be asked for tan, since tanx goes between - infinity and + infinity

Alright then , good to know , thanks
how was the exam guys
Reply 12
Found it much harder than any of the past papers I did and unusually long. I don't know if I'm the only one.. How was the paper for you?
Reply 13
I'm surprised that know one is discussing the paper yet. Thought there would be some outrage over the difficulty level lol
I found it much harder than previous papers too. Normally on previous papers there would only be one or two questions I would have to take longer to think. I found most of the questions on these ones were not straight forward. I did paper 12.
Reply 15
I did paper 12 too. I wonder if the other variants were any better. I think the grade boundaries will probably be very low this time-- i'm guessing 45/50 for an A. I don't know if that's a stretch
Reply 16
I meant 45 or 50
Reply 17
Also, there was a question where you had to find n and k with the equation of a perpendicular bisector and two points A and B. I got a quadratic equation which I couldn't solve-- anyone else had the same problem?

I think I got 108x^2+84x+24 as my equation which I further simplified.
Original post by Genies
Also, there was a question where you had to find n and k with the equation of a perpendicular bisector and two points A and B. I got a quadratic equation which I couldn't solve-- anyone else had the same problem?

I think I got 108x^2+84x+24 as my equation which I further simplified.

What did u get for the first question
Reply 19
For the integration to find volume, I got 61 or 63 pi. Pretty sure my answer is wrong though as I didn't have time to find the limits (I randomly set the limits as 0 and 4, as I was running out of time)

Quick Reply

Latest