The Student Room Group

AS LEVEL MATH CIE . Paper 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genies
For the integration to find volume, I got 61 or 63 pi. Pretty sure my answer is wrong though as I didn't have time to find the limits (I randomly set the limits as 0 and 4, as I was running out of time)

What did u guys get for K
(edited 5 years ago)
I took the 13 variant just this morning! In comparison to last year's Oct/Nov Paper 1 ver 13, this May/June was considered either slightly easier or difficult according to many people in my school. It is very scary for me, because for the previous Paper 1 an "A" grade is 61/75. I screwed up the last 11-mark question (can scrape 2 or 3 marks) and had left two 2-mark questions blank :frown:.
Original post by wifd149
I took the 13 variant just this morning! In comparison to last year's Oct/Nov Paper 1 ver 13, this May/June was considered either slightly easier or difficult according to many people in my school. It is very scary for me, because for the previous Paper 1 an "A" grade is 61/75. I screwed up the last 11-mark question (can scrape 2 or 3 marks) and had left two 2-mark questions blank :frown:.

I took 12 variant , and it was REALLY DIFFICULT
Original post by Genies
Also, there was a question where you had to find n and k with the equation of a perpendicular bisector and two points A and B. I got a quadratic equation which I couldn't solve-- anyone else had the same problem?

I think I got 108x^2+84x+24 as my equation which I further simplified.

I forgot what I got but I managed to do it. What worries me is the last question, that freaking 11 marks and the first part of the vector question :frown:.
Original post by Universecolors
I took 12 variant , and it was REALLY DIFFICULT

Oh dear :s-smilie: Did you took last year's Oct/Nov Paper 1? How was it comparing to today's paper?
Reply 25
Paper 12 was freaking hard. I didn't have time to attempt 2 of the long questions and even other problems were hard. I had actually taken P1 in March and wanted to take a retest but I guess those scores will be much better than anything I would manage to scrape in today's exam. Haven't come across a paper this difficult/long in the past papers
Original post by Genies
Paper 12 was freaking hard. I didn't have time to attempt 2 of the long questions and even other problems were hard. I had actually taken P1 in March and wanted to take a retest but I guess those scores will be much better than anything I would manage to scrape in today's exam. Haven't come across a paper this difficult/long in the past papers

Hopefully all of us made it somehow. The long questions have a lot of marks and normally can go up to 11 or 12 marks, life's hard :ashamed2:
i lost 7 marks already from the coordinate geometry qn :frown:
What was that?!!
Gave paper 12 never ever came across towards such a difficult past paper... hope grade threshold will adjust it. Feeling extremely disappointed.
We shouldn't be worried about cutoff for A being high. Cutoff will be most likely 55-58 but CIE has mentioned that they give bonus marks when the paper is too tough.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by esrever
We shouldn't be worried about cutoff for A being high. Cutoff will be most likely 55-58 but CIE has mentioned that they give bonus marks when the paper is too tough.

What do you think It would be for a B
What do you think It would be for a B

I cannot say anything for the same reason as above. It all depends on how many marks CIE will give as bonus. Having a higher boundary with CIE giving a lot of bonus marks is arguably better anyways.

Unless you left out any sections, you shouldn't be too worried (especially about silly errors as silly errors are expected due to time pressure). Boundaries are decided by a number of factors and if you see past statistics, number of people getting an A or B is roughly the same. So your grade would be the approximately equal to your grade in previous year papers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by esrever
I cannot say anything for the same reason as above. It all depends on how many marks CIE will give as bonus. Having a higher boundary with CIE giving a lot of bonus marks is arguably better anyways.

Unless you left out any sections, you shouldn't be too worried (especially about silly errors as silly errors are expected due to time pressure). Boundaries are decided by a number of factors and if you see past statistics, number of people getting an A or B is roughly the same. So your grade would be the approximately equal to your grade in previous year papers.

I did leave out sections actually , do you think I can improve my grade if I do better at s1
I did leave out sections actually , do you think I can improve my grade if I do better at s1

How many marks worth of sections did you leave out? Are you confident about the methods that you used in the sections that you did attempt.
Original post by esrever
How many marks worth of sections did you leave out? Are you confident about the methods that you used in the sections that you did attempt.

No I’m not , I did really bad , so I just want a C , how much do you think is for a C
No I’m not , I did really bad , so I just want a C , how much do you think is for a C

It's difficult to answer. Normally the score is about 43/75 for a C. This year, the coordinates (7 mark), trig inequality (2 mark), quadratic lying above x axis (2 marks?) were 'extra' tricky compared to past papers. Also they were many tricky calculations along with time pressure. So I would say that about 12 marks worth tricky stuff was present. In previous papers, 6 marks worth tricky stuff if present (probably an overestimate). So I would say that grade boundaries will be approx 6 marks lower. So expect ~38/75. But honestly, I would not be surprised by 35/75. The boundaries may not be lower but these marks may be given in bonus to you.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest