The Student Room Group

About the geometric progression question (cie IAL AS June 2018)

hey guys I just took my AS mathematics and it was all good except for the ambiguous geometric sequence word question.

So the question was something about the increase in the amount of salt added in a tank in a salt factory. They introduced a new system where:

- The amount of salt added into the tank increases by 2% each week.

This was not a problem cuz I can just set r as 1.02.

But here is the tricky part.
"Given that the amount of salt added into the tank is 8000kg on the first week after the introduction of the new system, find the amount of salt being poured into the tank on the 12th week."

I was lost cuz I didn't understand what they mean by "in the first week after the introduction of the new system."

I didn't know whether I should set a = 8000 or first solve 1.02a = 8000 y'know what I mean? I guess everyone in our class set a as 8000 and I was the only one who solved it in the other way. It could just be my English issue but plz help me...

Btw the question was worth 3 marks.
Original post by junmiiiin
hey guys I just took my AS mathematics and it was all good except for the ambiguous geometric sequence word question.

So the question was something about the increase in the amount of salt added in a tank in a salt factory. They introduced a new system where:

- The amount of salt added into the tank increases by 2% each week.

This was not a problem cuz I can just set r as 1.02.

But here is the tricky part.
"Given that the amount of salt added into the tank is 8000kg on the first week after the introduction of the new system, find the amount of salt being poured into the tank on the 12th week."

I was lost cuz I didn't understand what they mean by "in the first week after the introduction of the new system."

I didn't know whether I should set a = 8000 or first solve 1.02a = 8000 y'know what I mean? I guess everyone in our class set a as 8000 and I was the only one who solved it in the other way. It could just be my English issue but plz help me...

Btw the question was worth 3 marks.

I think what it means is "the amount of salt being poured into the tank on the 12th week after the introduction of the new system ", so you would use a=8000 and find the 12th term, or if you use a=8000/1.02, you would then need to find the 13th term.

Quick Reply

Latest