The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Sociology Paper 1 (7192/1) - 22nd May [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 16bhatam
What things would you write about I'm acc curious? Would you talk abt class gender and ethnicity in school or would you pick just 1 of them and talk abt that?

Personally, I would do a paragraph on each so one class, one gender, one ethnicity to cover all bases, unless the Item was particularly geared towards one of the 3, then I’d focus on that.

For class, I reckon cultural capital would be a good one to talk about, as well as maybe speech codes - it is easier for teachers to build positive relationships with middle class pupils due to common interest and understanding one another, with working class pupils this isn’t always the case, and how that in turn affects the levels of achievement different groups of pupils can access.

For gender I’d talk about lack of role positive male role models in schools contrasted with the rise in women achieving top-paid jobs, talking about how those role models/lack of affect a pupils level of achievement. Also there’s a number of studies that link in nicely with ethnicity to do with role models, so could make links across there.

But then you’d perhaps also need to talk about external factors a little bit too, depending on the question, arguing that on the other hand, they’ve had a greater impact on pupils achievement, particularly as it may make it easier to get some AO3 in.
Reply 21
Original post by Mimi_02
I also think it’s going to be something to do with Ethnicity (DEA) or theories of education so Marxism as my teacher said it hasn’t come up for a while or what do you all think?

Hi,
There hasn’t been a straight theory question before so could it come up I was thinking educational policies but marketisation came up last year
Reply 22
Could you explain privatisation of education pls

Original post by podpodpod
Do u have any good a01 a03 for this? Rlly struggling on the new right for some reason ahhhh
Reply 23
Original post by Hummyxx
Could you explain privatisation of education pls

Basically when schools become privately owned and not state run by the government. Privatisation will allow schools to be run like business where parents( consumers) will have more choice on schools for their child and schools will compete like businesses to get the most consumers and best ones ( MC)
Does anyone know where you can get more practice questions, I'v done every paper so many times and am wondering if anyone knows of a revision source which writes their own questions ?
Reply 25
Original post by Annabel Carillo
Does anyone know where you can get more practice questions, I'v done every paper so many times and am wondering if anyone knows of a revision source which writes their own questions ?

hi! if you search like 'sociology [topic] question bank' loads of stuff comes up, if u can see that link that's one for paper 1 :smile: link didn't work ermmmm try copying this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjisLyHqdT-AhUEgFwKHZUTCUMQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsociologyyear13.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F02%2Feducation-with-methods-in-context-question-bank.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1jBWA5PPznbBnEJPLIzsL2
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 26
What do you guy's think will come up on paper 1 for the 20 markers?

I think it could be ethnicity but not too sure.
Reply 27
feel like gender could be the 10 marker bc it hasn't come up that way before I don't think
Reply 28
(Original post by L_extrax)What do you guy's think will come up on paper 1 for the 20 markers?

Original post by izzy4509x
feel like gender could be the 10 marker bc it hasn't come up that way before I don't think

Yh could be 10 marker is hard to predict but you could deffo be right. What do you think for the 30 marker?
Reply 29
(Original post by L_extrax)What do you guy's think will come up on paper 1 for the 20 markers?

Yh could be 10 marker is hard to predict but you could deffo be right. What do you think for the 30 marker?

honestly not sure because we've had class, gender and ethnicity and there's also been marketisation, meritocracy and transmission of values, they could do something about like conflict theories on education vs consensus ? I feel like the obvious 30 markers have all gone now
Reply 30
honestly not sure because we've had class, gender and ethnicity and there's also been marketisation, meritocracy and transmission of values, they could do something about like conflict theories on education vs consensus ? I feel like the obvious 30 markers have all gone now

Yh I definitely get you, they could always ask class/ethnicity differences but word it differently like "evaluate ethnicity/ class differences in achievement are mainly due to home factors" or something like that. But it is tough as everything has been asked before. How you feeling for the theory and methods stuff & method in context? I really dont know what to expect at this point as theres so much content and so many possible questions!
Reply 31
Yh I definitely get you, they could always ask class/ethnicity differences but word it differently like "evaluate ethnicity/ class differences in achievement are mainly due to home factors" or something like that. But it is tough as everything has been asked before. How you feeling for the theory and methods stuff & method in context? I really dont know what to expect at this point as theres so much content and so many possible questions!

yeah maybe, honestly I don't mind theory/methods/methods in context at all, ive made a conscious effort to really get to know the theory stuff (as in like sociology as a science or symbolic interactionism etc) but I find the methods stuff all pretty easy mostly bc ive done psychology since GCSE so just transfer the research methods over and apply it, how about you? usually its the bit people hate the most haha
Reply 32
yeah maybe, honestly I don't mind theory/methods/methods in context at all, ive made a conscious effort to really get to know the theory stuff (as in like sociology as a science or symbolic interactionism etc) but I find the methods stuff all pretty easy mostly bc ive done psychology since GCSE so just transfer the research methods over and apply it, how about you? usually its the bit people hate the most haha

I find theories and stuff like sociology as a science quite hard just because there's so much to remember lol I think any research method would be a nice 10 marker. Methods in context all ik is it Must to be applied to education otherwise you get capped at 12 marks. Really nervous for paper 1 although i feel like Ik a lot of it
Reply 33
I find theories and stuff like sociology as a science quite hard just because there's so much to remember lol I think any research method would be a nice 10 marker. Methods in context all ik is it Must to be applied to education otherwise you get capped at 12 marks. Really nervous for paper 1 although i feel like Ik a lot of it

im super nervous for paper 2 tbh like out of all of them, we do family and beliefs and I know the content and there's no 30 marker but i find the questions annoying haha, at least paper 2 and 3 are ages away they're my last 2 exams in general
Reply 34
Yh they're my last 2 as well so we have lots of time tbf before then Paper 2 should be fine every yr the grade boundaries is always lowest for paper 2 as it must be the hardest. I take global development which is rough as barely any skls pick that topic haha.
Reply 35
I really struggle with methods in context> Can never seem to gain full marks:frown: any tips? n also how is everyone feeling for this exam,,, could literally be on any topic
Original post by mart12
I really struggle with methods in context> Can never seem to gain full marks:frown: any tips? n also how is everyone feeling for this exam,,, could literally be on any topic

Definitely difficult to predict what could come up by judging from past papers! My teacher said most people don't get more than half marks on MIC so do not panic as we are all in the same boat. My first exam is the 17th May, so this exam is not what is making me worry atm! How are you feeling?
Reply 37
Original post by Freyashcroft
Definitely difficult to predict what could come up by judging from past papers! My teacher said most people don't get more than half marks on MIC so do not panic as we are all in the same boat. My first exam is the 17th May, so this exam is not what is making me worry atm! How are you feeling?

I’m not gonna lieeee I feel prepared yet not at the same time 😅. I’m trying to go over education and then into ethnicity and gender PLUSS RM which is not too bad but I’m mostly just looking over my exam answers and what I can do to make sure I gain full marks
Does anyone have any essay plans? Or packs of questions to plan for?
Reply 39
How do you guys structure your 10 and 30 markers for education ? My teachers teach me different plans and idk what to use

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending