The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Legend Killer
Who hasn't started revising for PYA5 yet?

I haven't touched it!

Me. But that's because we've only done schizophrenia so far. I was going to go over that during the holidays but sleeping, going out and XBOX Live was a better choice. :p:
Reply 21
Horatio Caine
Me. But that's because we've only done schizophrenia so far. I was going to go over that during the holidays but sleeping, going out and XBOX Live was a better choice. :p:

QFT. Halo3 is ruining my life..

I've just started revising for PYA3 cuz im retaking it in the summer. Will start with the others once ive finished that :biggrin:
Legend Killer
Who hasn't started revising for PYA5 yet?

I haven't touched it!

I haven't either. I can't really be bothered, I've got other things I desperately need to revise for.

I only need to get 30 marks in this exam to get an A overall anyway, so my motivation has just plumetted.
I've need 45 marks for a B an I'm only aiming for that anyway. I'm still going to revise but only 1 month before the exam.
Reply 24
Charlurr
For PYA4, my questions were about understudied relationships, REM sleep... and I cant remember the other one, haha (:

I'd say that at the moment, although PYA5 has a lot less content, i think you need to know it better than PYA4, because 4 was so broad, you could incorporate a lot of work into whatever essay you wanted, as long as you could back it up. This one, for me, seems to have a lot less information, which although it looks good, it means you have to learn that in a lot more detail.

Plus, approaches questions do my swede in, i don't think I can do them properly, hahaa. :biggrin:

agression i think...
Reply 25
I much prefer PYA5. I did PYA4 in January and, whilst easier to get my head around, the sheer amount of information I had to shove in my head was almost painful. PYA5 I enjoy a lot more - but then again that may be because I really do enjoy psychology. Many people I know who don't like it dislike having to understand concepts they are just not interested in, whereas PYA4 is simpler 'learning and churning'.
How are people's revision going for PYA5.

I know vaguely most of psychopathology, and i've sorta started on approaches. I know behavioural and psychodynamic approach fairly well as I covered it in AS.

Shouldn't be too bad. Still got 1 and half months left...
Reply 27
yea made notes on psychopathology, an done some approaches (behavioural) been reading other posts on pya5, people seem to get lower marks in that than pya4, which i thought was the hard one.

Im not sure how this exam will go, do you think it is possible to do the model essay type thing as before?
Reply 28
Argh i'm getting well scared!!

Unit 5 seems alright apart from the psychopathology section. The issues (gender/culture bias etc.) is relatively simple and so is the approaches section but realistically they ask to much of you...it's literally one big memory test!
Reply 29
Oh yeah, for unit 4 does anyone know what topics came up in Jan 08 for...

Relationships - Q 2
Pro & anti-social behaviour - Q 3
Cognitive development (Piaget/Vygotsky/Moral reasoning la di la) - Q 10

Btw im not being lazy, i literally can't seem to get hold of it since no one did it in jan at our school.
relationships was something on understudied relationships.
Reply 31
Thank youu
Reply 32
Do you think its too risky not studying understudied relationships then for this summer?:s-smilie:
Purple
Do you think its too risky not studying understudied relationships then for this summer?:s-smilie:

well in january i ruled out any areas that were asked recently
so its not that risky not studying understudied
but you could have a glance at it just in case :wink:
Reply 34
kiz_m
Oh yeah, for unit 4 does anyone know what topics came up in Jan 08 for...

Relationships - Q 2
Pro & anti-social behaviour - Q 3
Cognitive development (Piaget/Vygotsky/Moral reasoning la di la) - Q 10

Btw im not being lazy, i literally can't seem to get hold of it since no one did it in jan at our school.

pro and anti social behaviour was on the social learning theory stuff and bandura..i didnt learn it so had to try blag it.
Reply 35
is everyone ready for the PYA5 exam?
i'm not at all!! but its my last exam but i have so many that its going to have to be last minute revision. bad idea. ahh.
whose doing debates like reductionism and is psychology a science etc.
i hate them!
xdaawnx
is everyone ready for the PYA5 exam?
i'm not at all!! but its my last exam but i have so many that its going to have to be last minute revision. bad idea. ahh.
whose doing debates like reductionism and is psychology a science etc.
i hate them!

i have a feeling psychology as a science is gonna come up again!
Reply 37
yea science is the best one, dont like nature questions.

for psycopathology i hate compare/contrast and research evidence q's
Reply 38
Looking at it I think PYA5 is easier... It seems silly because you have to learn SO MUCH content and stuff for PYA4 and yet it's worth 90 when PYA5 is worth 120 UMS.

For PYA5 you just need to revise the studies for whatever ethics and apply the knowledge to the question, and the same for approaches.

There is a lot in Psychopathology though.. but to me PYA4 is Psychopathology content three times, MUCH harder. So annoyed that I'm resitting.
Reply 39
PYA5 may have less content but it is the hardest to score on, especially on the approaches questions. plus the grade boundaries are so close tht u cud get a C but only be a few marks off an A. the best thng to do is make sure tht you hav decent grades in the other exams to make sure tht if u dnt do so well with unit 5, you will still end up with a good grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending