The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
halátnost
haha! Ok, good thinking. I had a paper remarked once and it would have cost £40 but because the grade went up (ie. marks added) it didn't cost anything. I wonder if the marks go down u still don't have to pay anything. Because they have still made a mistake, and the marks still change...just in the wrong direction! But you definitely don't pay if they go up.

Hehe, yea what happens if the marks go down?! Lol.. anyone know?
I actually agree on this one... however A levels has both it's good points and bad ones, there is no perfect system, but surely this system needs a bit of revising to it, and new ideas to be brought in... I think actually the level has been falling through the years, like during the seventies the A levels were of a much higher standard than nowadays, or at least that's what our teacher's keep complaining about. But I have noticed looking through the past papers from the 80s and 90s, the level has actually been falling, plus since 2003 or something this rule that you can resit a module as many times as you want, and even these modular exams these days, I mean they're actually a great advantage over some of us who are doing non-modular exams(CIE), like we can't take 1 paper in January and then forget about them, then only work for the other two modules... So I'd say the A levels need a lot of revising...
jammie08
Hehe, yea what happens if the marks go down?! Lol.. anyone know?

You have to pay (90% sure), so it's worth getting a photocopy of your script back so that your subject teacher can go through it and advice you whether to get it remarked or not.
Reply 23
They way you can retake modules is getting ridiculous. You can't just keep having a go until you get a paper you like.

Still, I think compared to the state of GCSEs, A Levels are doing alright.
I don't see how anyone can fail GCSEs. My teachers just did the coursework for a lot of students.
We're not taught to learn. We're taught to sit exams, which is why you get the smart kinds the screw around in their GCSEs and say ' when am I ever going to use this?' I've not yet found a use for learning quadratic equations with a view to a history degree! Younger kids need more say in the direction of their education based on their ability AND their aspirations. Stop writing kids off, forcing them to go through 2 years of coursework and exams to sit a final exam that they have no chance of getting a passing grade on.

As for A levels, too many schools are just teaching the exams. I can't remember anything from my Philosophy or Sociology classes.
Reply 25
They should implement the IB, and scrap A levels :smile:
Reply 26
thinking causes strain
You have to pay (90% sure), so it's worth getting a photocopy of your script back so that your subject teacher can go through it and advice you whether to get it remarked or not.

Thanks for the good advice, will pass this info on. Many friends at school are considering remarks (there has been speculation that the Edexcel chem/phys results of our school are strange and much lower than expected).
be aware that if you want a photocopy it must be done ASAP because the remark deadline is something like 10th April but our college, and most others, finish on the 4th so that is the deadline really.

A friend of mine told me that she got a photocopy back and she either handed her form for it in too late (or her theory which is that the examiner puposefully posted it to her too late) and she missed the deadline to put in for a remark so it was a waste of £10.50 and a missed opportunity to get more UMS marks.

You're Welcome :smile:
Reply 28
Thanks again :smile: (i'm not too familiar with the remark situation and I study outside the UK so this is always tricky for us here as it takes quite long to do anything from overseas) but I've taken on board what you've said.

(Back to the topic) - A levels eh, stressful indeed..but like someone else mentioned earlier, there isn't a perfect system but it could do with some changes at least.
Fairy.Dust.Forever
I've not yet found a use for learning quadratic equations with a view to a history degree!

The point of GCSE Maths is to build up your ability to think logically and GCSE English to think creatively. There is a point in doing core GCSE subjects. As for A-Levels, I'm not yet qualified to comment.
Reply 30
I think on the whole the A levels, do need re-thinking. You mean becuase of the lack of standards, people who want to do medicine is a must A grade in most circumstances. Consultants years ago could get in with C and B surely. Now even people who put loads of work in anf get bad marks get no where, becuase some people get lucky and get an A grade which they havent worked for. I think they need to proably reduce the work load, do more exams but mabyes make them so people who dont put the work in get a defenate U grade, so that people who do show dedication get the grades they deserve, its guranteed.,
electriic_ink
The point of GCSE Maths is to build up your ability to think logically and GCSE English to think creatively. There is a point in doing core GCSE subjects. As for A-Levels, I'm not yet qualified to comment.

Oh no don't get me wrong, maths and english are fundamental subjects! We need them, but sometimes you gotta think, are we focussed on the right things?

We need to get back to what it is practical to know for GCSE level. Not everyone wants to become a scientist/ teacher/ engineer. Things associated with this should come from A levels and not start at GCSE. Honestly, we were told to focus on the more complicated stuff and as such, i missed out half my GCSE paper of simple equations. I'm rubbish at simple maths, i'm much better with words generally, but I think it would have been better to learn PROPERLY the basics of maths that I will use in the future. Put things back into their practic sense. Tell pupils why they will need to know things and how and where they can use different things. Don't just teach them flashy things for the sake of them looking good.
Subjects are too "exam technique" orientated. People who are successful aren't always clever, or even that good at the subjects that they get A's in, they are just good at the exams.
Reply 33
Although this is is about GCSEs, it's still an example of the falling standards of education in England: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/17/noral117.xml
Reply 34
Yes I agree with the person who said it's heavily based on exam technique, well although that is something we can all overcome and practice on, I have seen many people work incredibly hard but when it comes to the exams, they fail because of poor exam technique. I realise they should work on their exam technique but I can't help but feel sorry for them as it feels their hardwork has gone to waste.
Reply 35
Does anyone know a website that has old A level past papers/questions on say Politics, Sociology, Business studies, Law or English? i'd love to see how much harder they really are compared to present day A level exams.
Erzan
Does anyone know a website that has old A level past papers/questions on say Politics, Sociology, Business studies, Law or English? i'd love to see how much harder they really are compared to present day A level exams.

I know my dad kept his A-Level papers from when he did Maths, Chemistry and Physics. He's also got an A-Level Physics "extension paper" (or something along those lines). He would have done them in 1974. You can't really compare these exams much as the syllabus would have changed quite dramatically, not necessarily got easier, just changed.

Anyway, I'll see if he can find them when he gets back and maybe I'll upload some of the questions...

Oh, and also, I doubt that the subject A-Level Sociology is much more than 10 years old so you wouldn't get many old exam papers for those subjects.
Reply 37
mizmo
I think that marking is ridiculous on science papers at A level especially as they cannot persume so you might use one word rather than the other even though it means the same thing the examiner cannot give you the mark! It's annoying

Very much agree. :rolleyes:

Latest