The Student Room Group

TSR Engineering Society

Scroll to see replies

Howdy folks

Name- Aneesh Kalra
Age- 21.5 years
Branch- Automobile Engineering
University -Coventry University
Experience- Currently on placement at Delphi Diesel as a TPM Facilitator . Did some work and gallivanting at Tuthill Porsche, but that's it.

Future aspirations - To build a competition-winning Formula Student car and help design a suspension unit for a Le Mans car.
Reply 181
Don't think anyone updates this anymore.

Edit: Ok they do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 182
Name: John

University/ies:
Technological Educational Institute of Athens BSc in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (2006-2010)
University of Newcastle Upon Tyne MEng in Marine Engineering
(unconditional offer 2011-2014)

Branch: Marine /Mechanical Engineering

Experience: 6 month internship in Maersk
Since I was passing through I thought I'd join up. I always declare myself to be an engineer for PS reviews so I should be in the official soc :p:

Name: F1 fanatic
Universities: Oxford, 2004-8 (Physics)
Branch: Petroleum/Reservoir Engineering
Experience: 3 years experience working for one of the super major oil companies
Hello :colone: I guess I'm a sort of engineer...

Name: Becca-Sarah
Uni: London 2011-12 :wink: iBSc Biomedical Eng
Branch: Medical engineering
Experience: Plenty on the clinical side, nil on the engineering side!
Reply 185
Another Electrical Engineer here :colone: (no, I don't change lightbulbs :colonhash:)

Name: davidmarsh01
Uni: Heriot-Watt 2011-2016
Branch: Electrical Engineering
Experience: A week on a polyethylene/propylene plant, with more to come :smile:
Reply 186
Name: jack evesson
Uni: Applied for Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Glamourgan
Branch: Civil Engineering
Experience: On final year of Civil technician apprenticeship working on an oil refinery, completed NC and on final year of HNC.
side note : worried my lack of A levels is going ot hinder my chances of getting accepted ( think iv always picked up maths easy and dnt wanna have to do an A level extra)
http://www.eal.org.uk/browse-releases-archive/67/416

What am I supposed to conclude from this? :colonhash:
What is a sales engineer? :colonhash:
Name:ramazterz
University:s-smilie:till not decided which ones from my sig (will post my desicion here!)
Branch:Mechanical
Experience:h:opefully in a few years time MANY!Absouletely love ENGINEERING!
Reply 190
Name- Christopher Thomas
Age- 19 years
Branch- systems/mechatronic/electrical
University -prospective
Experience- I built a working tesla coil, built my own computers, and basically tinker around with stuff. Nothing really impressive though. Engineering is the future and I'm excited to be walking down this path!
Reply 191
Name - Mehdi Alem
Age - 18
Branch - Chemical
University - UCL
Experience - none yet :frown: I would like to work for a formula 1 brand or in the oil industry
Hi I'm Chris, I'm a second year civil at sheffield.
Reply 193
Hi all,

I have two questions at uni which I am really struggling with, can anyone help at all with working out as I've had a go but I think my figures are all wrong!!

part a)
A designer wishes to calculate the thickness of a steel cable for suspending a passenger lift. The total length of cable supporting the lift when it is at the ground floor is 14 m. The mass of the lift when full of passengers is 800 kg.The designer has decided to incorporate a safety factor of 10 into the lift cable, which means the cable must be able to withstand 10 times the load it will actually be exposed to in service, before it fails.
The steel selected for the cable has a failure stress of 1100 MN m– 2.
Using this information, calculate the required diameter of the cable. Show all your working. Assume that the cable is a single piece of steel, with a circular cross-section. Ignore any effect of the weight of the cable in your calculation.
The downward force F on the cable is calculated by multiplying the total mass m (expressed in kg) by g, the acceleration due to gravity:
F = m x g
Take the value of g to be 10 ms–2. (In reality there is extra force needed to accelerate the lift upwards, but as this is relatively small, there is no need to consider it here.)
Hint. The safety factor means that the cable will fail the stress will reach its failure stress when it is loaded to 10 times the intended design load. Use this to calculate the cross-sectional area of the cable, and so its diameter. I found the diameter to be just under 10 mm.
(10 marks)

part b)
By how much will the cable have extended owing to the weight of a full lift at the ground floor? Again, you should show all your working.
The Young’s modulus of steel is 210 GN m–2.
You need to calculate the strain in the cable arising from the load on it, and then the extension. Use a suitable value for the diameter if you have been unable to complete part (a).
Name: CurtainrailMan
Branch: Civil Engineering
University: Applied for and got offers from Strathclyde, Dundee, Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt
Experience: Next to none. Applying for ICE Quest scholarship so should get some next summer!
Name: Fuzzy12345
Branch: Civil/ Mechanical Engineering...so undecided...
University: Applying for Cambridge, Bristol, Imperial, Southampton, Nottingham
Experience: Not much... :emo:
Reply 196
Name: Aiden
Branch: Aeronautical engineering
Uni: Glasgow University (start september 2012)
Hello :smile:
If anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2074671
guys, do you know where I could find (or look for) powerful motors? I would like to make one of these to help me get uphill :p:

Original post by + polarity -
guys, do you know where I could find (or look for) powerful motors? I would like to make one of these to help me get uphill :p:

Maplin?

Quick Reply

Latest