The Student Room Group

TSR Engineering Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
eulerwaswrong
my bad - its late and im tired. Did you see that BBC docu-drama about the space race - i think it wasnt that bad - missed some things - but not bad.

The rocket is impressive - but in my eyes i think there must be a better way of doing it

Nah I never saw it. But part of one of my courses was a history of spaceflight and rocketry lol.
can someone recommend me some decent engineering textbooks or just books that only rely on maths and further maths a level. Im looking for something to get stuck into over the summer - ive got KA shroud mathematics for engineering, and ive got this one book about fluid mechanics - any thing at all would be nice
Reply 62
eulerwaswrong
can someone recommend me some decent engineering textbooks or just books that only rely on maths and further maths a level. Im looking for something to get stuck into over the summer - ive got KA shroud mathematics for engineering, and ive got this one book about fluid mechanics - any thing at all would be nice

James Glynn - Modern Engineering Mathematics.
Mush
James Glynn - Modern Engineering Mathematics.

just found a book in my dads bookcase by a bloke called "stevenson" - apparantly he was a civil eng lecturer at imperial when my dad was there - its signed and theres a little note which i cant exactly work out - ever heard of him?
Reply 64
eulerwaswrong
just found a book in my dads bookcase by a bloke called "stevenson" - apparantly he was a civil eng lecturer at imperial when my dad was there - its signed and theres a little note which i cant exactly work out - ever heard of him?

Pretty common name, is it not?

Can you be more specific lol?
just been on work experience with COSTAIN for the last week - today they mentioned sponsership through uni - basically the deal is - i work for them next summer - like general helping about etc - paid for 5 weeks then i get £2500 per year as long as i do 5 weeks (paid again) every summer plus i work for two full years after i graduate - on a "competitive wage".

ive arranged a meeting for october to discuss it more in further detail and sign on the dotted line - thing is i want to be more of a designer than working with the actual construction

has anybody else applied for sponsorship with companies before?
what was their deal like?
did you write to a few different companies? (and waht companies)
What's the difference between a nut and a bolt?
Reply 67
Jangrafess
What's the difference between a nut and a bolt?

A nut is female a bolt is male. :sugar:
Reply 68
shuvle
A nut is female a bolt is male. :sugar:

Nicely explained.
That was pretty immense. :biggrin:
Reply 70
Jangrafess
That was pretty immense. :biggrin:

:yep:
you know there are lots of "reccomended reading" or "reccomended textbooks" lists on TSR for certain subjects - why isnt there one for engineering?

Somebody fancy starting one?
is this soc like completely dead?
Reply 73
yes
Reply 74
...I'm here :biggrin:

Not in the Society yet though >_<
Reply 75
...I'm here too :biggrin:

Reply 76
shuvle
...I'm here too :biggrin:

Hehe...newbie... :P
Reply 77
Okay guys, sorry, I've been slightly neglecting this society.

Rest assured that all the pending applications to join are being sorted out, and I shall sort the main page to reflect the new years everybody has gone into.

I'm going to assume that everybody made it into the subsequent year, if that's not hte case, please inform me.

Also, I don't know about the 3rd/4th years... is there even a subsequent year IN your course? I don't know who's doing BEng who's doing MEng, who's doing BSc, etc.

As for the death of the forum... I don't really know?

The pace of this forum doesn't really reflect the pace and excitement of the industry and courses =[ =[. Ideas?
there hasnt been any sorta discussion or debate in this society ever.

someone just start discussing things!!!!!!!!!!! lol

few points of discussion:
1)good engineering textbooks/books (if anybody feels like making a recommended booklist or whatever - please do)
2)view on the role of engineers in society and the social/economic impact of engineering projects
3)current engineering projects like the olympics
4) TV shows like megastructures - your favorite project or whatever
5)Environmental issues regarding large scale projcets
6)University courses - where to apply to - why you like/dislike your course - would you reccomend it etc
7)Work experience/YINI/graduate schemes

Come on people!!!!!!!

I have a question - just done my ASs now - starting to apply to unis next year - im looking to do civil engineering.

Been to look at a few universities - the ones im interested in are: Imperial, Cardiff, Birmingham, Cambridge, Swansea, Loughbrough, Southampton

Anybody doing civils at any of the above? got any opinions on them/ hints for my PS or whatever - please feel free to share them with me.

Also as ive said numerous times - reccomended first year civil engineering textbooks
Reply 79
nm

Quick Reply

Latest