The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Can I take my car to plymouth uni?

Soooo basically, I’m hoping to get in to plymouth uni after my a level exams... as you can tell I have a car and as I’ve spent a lot of money on it I don’t really wanna leave it at home and for it not to be used whilst I’m away for 3 years...?? So does anyone know if you can or can’t take your car and what the parking situation is?? Please help!!
Original post by helppppoplsssss
Soooo basically, I’m hoping to get in to plymouth uni after my a level exams... as you can tell I have a car and as I’ve spent a lot of money on it I don’t really wanna leave it at home and for it not to be used whilst I’m away for 3 years...?? So does anyone know if you can or can’t take your car and what the parking situation is?? Please help!!

Where are you going to live? Many halls don't allow first years to bring cars.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Halls
You'll struggle with bringing a car to halls unless you're willing to pay for parking all the time. In second and third year there is plenty of accommodation either with off-road parking or where you can park on the road (some of this is permit based) but the halls/uni don't really have any available parking. Plymouth uni is right in the city center, so most surrounding roads are residents only or short term parking only. The uni itself doesn't really offer any student parking. The only available long term parking would be in multi-stories, which obviously wouldn't be cheap.

One possible solution might be to rent a drive/garage in the city, which would would work out cheaper than paying for parking in a multi-story, but this would probably end up being 5 minutes+ walk from uni.

For first year, I do think leaving your car at home would be easiest- if it's a priority, you should be able to find somewhere to park it next year.

Hi there,

For first years staying in halls of residence, it's not really seen as a necessity to bring your car as you're on campus and right next to the city center. When I was in first year, I did have friends who parked their cars outside their older friends' private housing. However, this is more often than not permit parking, which would require you to move your car daily, and spaces aren't guaranteed. We do have this information on our website regarding car spaces:

'Can I bring a car?

Parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are very good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital.

Parking priority is given to DS students and sporting excellence students.

We only have 50 parking spaces for all of our halls of residence. Students who are allocated a University managed hall room can enter a parking lottery. Parking costs £270 for the period from October - June. An email will be sent a few weeks after you have signed your licence on how to enter the lottery.
Please note: If you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we are sure you will want to avoid. So please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.'

I hope this helps!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Representative
Reply 5
R

Just finished my first year at uni, parked my car on one of the free streets, only a couple of minutes from my uni halls. Will be parking their again in September - Llanhydrock Road!

Hope this helps :smile:.
Is there a time limit that you can park also is there other alternatives?
Hi can you name the streets for me please ? I tried to park in Addison road but all of the spaces are taken all the time. I’ll be really glad to know that thanks

Original post by IsobelT
R

Just finished my first year at uni, parked my car on one of the free streets, only a couple of minutes from my uni halls. Will be parking their again in September - Llanhydrock Road!

Hope this helps :smile:.
Original post by Ramin Durrani
Hi can you name the streets for me please ? I tried to park in Addison road but all of the spaces are taken all the time. I’ll be really glad to know that thanks

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you'er struggling to park in Plymouth, it can be a bit of a challenge, especially during holiday season!
Here is handy link to free parking spots in the area: https://freeparkingspots.co.uk/free-parking-in-plymouth-uk/

It reccommends:
North of Plymouth
- Lydford Park Road
- Inverdene
- Westbourne Road
- Trelawny Road

West of Plymouth
- Stuart Road
- Valletort Road
- Palmerston Street

East of Plymouth
- South View Terrace
- Kinross Avenue
- Kelvin Avenue

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Many thanks,
Amelia, University of Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending