The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford brookes

Just wondered what people's experiences have been like there?
Original post by 123Emily88

I'll move this to the Oxford Brookes subforum
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Hi Emily,

This is a super broad question and we'd love to answer it, but could you perhaps be a little more specific about what you mean? Are you interested in the experiences students have had with accommodation, social life, first-year, the course, societies, volunteering, work, sports, extra-curricular activities..

Do let us know with a reply! You can even reach us here on Unibuddy where you can directly send us a message and have a conversation about what you're interested.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Tina
Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Brookes Student Ambassadors
Hi Emily,

This is a super broad question and we'd love to answer it, but could you perhaps be a little more specific about what you mean? Are you interested in the experiences students have had with accommodation, social life, first-year, the course, societies, volunteering, work, sports, extra-curricular activities..

Do let us know with a reply! You can even reach us here on Unibuddy where you can directly send us a message and have a conversation about what you're interested.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Tina
Student Ambassador

Hi and thanks for your response. I guess I'm talking about student life especially in Oxford. How have you found your time there?
Hi and thanks for your response. I guess I'm talking about student life especially in Oxford. How have you found your time there?

Hi Emily,

No problem! Cool, I'll try to give you as much insight of my time in Oxford as I can. I'm currently an international and psychology student and will be coming into my third and final year at Brookes.

Generally, my experience living here has been really great and my favourite part about being in Oxford has to be all the opportunities that come with it. I was able to nominate myself as department representative, take on a biopsychology research internship, lead the psychology society as president, and more! What I've found is that you are not short of opportunities here which I find is really important for work and character development for once you graduate. I can't speak for other departments, but I have also found that the psychology staff are especially responsive to their students and display a genuine level of care for their learning while still encouraging a lot of independence.

In terms of living in Oxford specifically, Oxford is a super student-orientated city, which means lots of the things you can do in Oxford (like attending festivals, gigs, bars, talks) are pretty catered to students so there is always something going on. If you are also planning to work (or even volunteer!) in Oxford, there are also lots of options there to consider since employers are open to employing students and accommodating to their schedule - or you can even find working opportunities from the University such as being a student guider, ambassador or working for the Brookes Union.

I'll admit that I was really unsure about studying in Oxford until I actually visited the campus, got a chance to look around Oxford, and chat with one of the lecturers! I only became set on my choice until after that experience.

I hope that gives you an idea of what it is like to be in Oxford. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!

Tina
Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi Emily,

No problem! Cool, I'll try to give you as much insight of my time in Oxford as I can. I'm currently an international and psychology student and will be coming into my third and final year at Brookes.

Generally, my experience living here has been really great and my favourite part about being in Oxford has to be all the opportunities that come with it. I was able to nominate myself as department representative, take on a biopsychology research internship, lead the psychology society as president, and more! What I've found is that you are not short of opportunities here which I find is really important for work and character development for once you graduate. I can't speak for other departments, but I have also found that the psychology staff are especially responsive to their students and display a genuine level of care for their learning while still encouraging a lot of independence.

In terms of living in Oxford specifically, Oxford is a super student-orientated city, which means lots of the things you can do in Oxford (like attending festivals, gigs, bars, talks) are pretty catered to students so there is always something going on. If you are also planning to work (or even volunteer!) in Oxford, there are also lots of options there to consider since employers are open to employing students and accommodating to their schedule - or you can even find working opportunities from the University such as being a student guider, ambassador or working for the Brookes Union.

I'll admit that I was really unsure about studying in Oxford until I actually visited the campus, got a chance to look around Oxford, and chat with one of the lecturers! I only became set on my choice until after that experience.

I hope that gives you an idea of what it is like to be in Oxford. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!

Tina
Student Ambassador

Thank you so much. I'm unsure if I should put down Clive booth as my first choice or Paul Kent- just wondered if you would recommend any specific accommodation?
Being in the shadow of the other oxford, must mean no academic pressure :smile: you could always think, well at least i dont have Oxford exams!
Thank you so much. I'm unsure if I should put down Clive booth as my first choice or Paul Kent- just wondered if you would recommend any specific accommodation?

Hi Emily,

It's no problem! This is a really popular question actually, but I can't give you a straight answer since I've actually never been in either of those halls.

The only thing I can say is that it depends! It depends on what your preferences and priorities are.. as in if you care more or less about distance, price, how quiet it is, where your campus is, and so on. From my experience of halls, I think that regardless of what accommodation you end up with, you will still have a good time and it won't make much of a difference with your time at Brookes.

I hope that that helps at all!

Tina
Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi Emily,

It's no problem! This is a really popular question actually, but I can't give you a straight answer since I've actually never been in either of those halls.

The only thing I can say is that it depends! It depends on what your preferences and priorities are.. as in if you care more or less about distance, price, how quiet it is, where your campus is, and so on. From my experience of halls, I think that regardless of what accommodation you end up with, you will still have a good time and it won't make much of a difference with your time at Brookes.

I hope that that helps at all!

Tina
Student Ambassador

Thanks! It has been helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending