The Student Room Group

Topics for English Spoken Language endorsement???! asap

So my teacher is a dumb guy and on Friday told us we are having a spoken language exam starting on Monday. So i only have today and tomorrow to prepare. Also, I was in an exam for half of that lesson so The tips and example videos were pretty useless.
Any topic ideas?
And tips?
And how do i not get nervous? cause i will and voice will be ****ed and i will **** up
thanks
Reply 1
it's really not that deep, just speak on a topic you are passionate about confidently without looking at a board or a script constantly
don't get nervous the actual gcses matter
(edited 5 years ago)
okay, so seven major tips, these are all things my English teacher told me, and she is incredible- no-one in her classes has ever not-passed their English speaking, the majority of her students actually get merits and distinctions.

1) you wont get marks if you talk about a 'thin subject' that is: 'My favorite boy band' or something like that. if there is something you like talk about that on a deeper level. if you like playing video games, turn it into: 'the impact of video games on young people today'

2) make it something you can easily research and understand. there's no point writing a killer script with a load of fancy scientific words if you A, cant pronounce them. B, can't understand what they mean anyway. and C, remember, if you cant understand it, it means your audience won't either.

3) i don't know if your teacher will let you have a script (he should/ probably isn't allowed to deny you one), but mine did. the important thing with this is to, obviously, learn it. but if you put it onto flash cards where each flash card is a paragraph, it becomes much more presentable and smart and easier to read than reading off an A4 piece of paper.

4) enunciate. you might not lose marks for not speaking clearly. however you will definetly gain some for speaking clearly.however, if people can't understand what you are saying, you wont gain any marks i can assure you. pronounce your 'Tees' if you are one of those people that do. i'm not saying talk super posh, but pronounce all the letter that are supposed to be pronounced.

5) my teacher told me that it needs to be between 3-5 minutes long, else it isn't mark able. she broke it down like this: a page and a bit of font size 12 is roughly 3 and a half minutes. (it also depends on your reading speed)

6) don't talk fast. i know it's really hard if you are anxious, but try to be aware of your pace. remember: everyone else has had to do it before, and if you talk slow, this will stretch your speaking time out desirably and also make you easier to understand, there fore obtaining higher marks.

7) finally, your English speaking counts for nothing in your over all English grade. yes you get a grade with your speaking, but it adds nothing to you overall grade, but it doesn't take anything away from it either.

i hope this helped, i wish you good luck, you'll do great.
Reply 3
Original post by love-animals
okay, so seven major tips, these are all things my English teacher told me, and she is incredible- no-one in her classes has ever not-passed their English speaking, the majority of her students actually get merits and distinctions.

1) you wont get marks if you talk about a 'thin subject' that is: 'My favorite boy band' or something like that. if there is something you like talk about that on a deeper level. if you like playing video games, turn it into: 'the impact of video games on young people today'

2) make it something you can easily research and understand. there's no point writing a killer script with a load of fancy scientific words if you A, cant pronounce them. B, can't understand what they mean anyway. and C, remember, if you cant understand it, it means your audience won't either.

3) i don't know if your teacher will let you have a script (he should/ probably isn't allowed to deny you one), but mine did. the important thing with this is to, obviously, learn it. but if you put it onto flash cards where each flash card is a paragraph, it becomes much more presentable and smart and easier to read than reading off an A4 piece of paper.

4) enunciate. you might not lose marks for not speaking clearly. however you will definetly gain some for speaking clearly.however, if people can't understand what you are saying, you wont gain any marks i can assure you. pronounce your 'Tees' if you are one of those people that do. i'm not saying talk super posh, but pronounce all the letter that are supposed to be pronounced.

5) my teacher told me that it needs to be between 3-5 minutes long, else it isn't mark able. she broke it down like this: a page and a bit of font size 12 is roughly 3 and a half minutes. (it also depends on your reading speed)

6) don't talk fast. i know it's really hard if you are anxious, but try to be aware of your pace. remember: everyone else has had to do it before, and if you talk slow, this will stretch your speaking time out desirably and also make you easier to understand, there fore obtaining higher marks.

7) finally, your English speaking counts for nothing in your over all English grade. yes you get a grade with your speaking, but it adds nothing to you overall grade, but it doesn't take anything away from it either.

thanks, this did help!
Reply 4
Original post by love-animals

Do you have any tips on how to structure your speech, so when you are actually standing up and saying it to an audience?

Quick Reply

Latest