The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lozzie_1990
Oh **** off and stop patronising me. I never said I shouldn't get a fine - in fact I said maybe I should. I was merely explaining that I am NOT a dangerous driver and do not typically drive above the speed limit.

And I intend to start worrying before I have eight as six points would make me lose my license and my job. So all I'd have to do is drift over the limit ONCE in one and a half years. I think I'm allowed to worry.

Dangerous and speeding are not the same thing. If I was driving at 40mph but concentrating and you were driving at 35 but daydreaming about your personal problems, who do you think the more dangerous driver is?

That is the way the world works I'm afraid, as I said, grow up, take it on the chin. **** happens. I follow the speed limits 80% of the time yet I've been caught twice, it's not fair, most of the time I follow the speed limit!!

Stop being such a spoilt little baby.
Reply 41
Dac.
if a child is prepared to jump right out in front of a car they are at more to blame than the innocent driver having a momentary lapse of concentration or being a few mph over the speed limit.

it can be a very dangerous world but when a child jumps out in front of cars doing 30+mph they have to accept the possible consequences.

You're forgetting that children sometimes don't pay attention to their surroundings, sometimes don't think before they do things, sometimes don't know what they're doing etc. It's not like they're making a rational reasonable choice when they run out into the road after following their football that's just been kicked there.

Of course, they shouldn't be in the road, but that's why speed-limits in residential exist, because there are occasions when things don't go according to plan and 30mph offers the best compromise between people still getting places and people dieing. I think that's fair.
Reply 42
Rosie151
Then in that case it would be an absolute tragedy for the child and an absolute tragedy for the driver, who in this case was not a reckless 'boy-racer' but an average considerate driver, who like most of us, sometimes drifts over the speed limit.

I would question why the driver was doing 35mph but I would also question why the child 'appeared in the middle of the road'. I don't like when the standard response to anyone who complains about speeding fines is 'well what if a child pops out in the middle of the road.' A child SHOULD NOT be popping out in the middle of the road. The road is for cars, not pedestrians and if the child is too young to understand that then he should be watched over by a parent or guardian AT ALL TIMES. I simply do not understand why the blame should solely be attached to the driver.

Driving safely, in my opinion, is one of the most important responsibilites you have as an adult. Yes, speed kills and dangerous driving kills. But please differentiate between the joy-riders and thrill seekers who try to speed as much as possible for the fun of it, and the other drivers, who are law abiding people with other jobs, worries and responsibilities, who try to drive safely but occasionally drift over the limit. If you say you have never driven over the speed limit then I'm afraid you are lying.

Sorry to go on about this but I feel passionately about it. A friend of mine was killed whilst crossing a road by a driver a couple of miles above the limit. I was absolutely devastated. But my friend had been drinking and had no business to be stepping out on the road and whilst the driver WAS over the limit, she swerved to avoid my friend, got injured herself, got a prison sentence, and will now spend the rest of her life wondering if she was to blame. I have equal sympathy with both.

Furthermore I drive safetly and have never been stopped but I tend to always drive a couple of miles over the limit, as do most people. I have been told and observed myself, that it is generally safer to travel at 32/33 with the flow of the traffic than at 28/29, when drivers will be tailgating you, honking at you, and overtaking.

Lozzie, sorry to hear about your ticket. Unlucky and I don't think you deserve it. I personally disagree with speed cameras, as I think they encourage quick braking and then speeding up, promote the idea that it's 'cameras v. drivers - let's get the better of the damn cameras - see I can speed and not get caught!', and do not take into account that drivers slightly over the limit are often safer drivers than drivers under the limit. But remember it could be much worse.

For a start in many cases the driver isn't solely to blame, getting nothing more than a fine and a few points in some cases. Causing death by dangerous driving isn't really a big offence here in the UK, for some ridiculous reason.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that because you do something everybody else does. I do not drive 2-3 mph above the limit at all times, and I don't think most others do either. It is generally better to follow the flow of traffic at 33mph than to hold them up at 28mph? What a complete load of *******s. For a start, 5mph doesn't make that great a difference to the flow of traffic, and people don't automatically tailgate you and honk the horn because you're following the speed limit and being a sensible driver.

You do realise that speed cameras are placed in accident blackspots, so in actual fact, a driver being more vigilant, breaking to get through the camera, and speeding up afterwards is exactly what they expect and exactly what they're looking for! To be honest, you're very opinionated for somebody who knows nothing about the things you've formed an opinion on.
Reply 43
the problem on our roads is not caused by speed, although that is a common factor, but the real root of it is with bad drivers. speed limits are not the bee all and end all. its sometimes safer to do twice the speed limit in one situation than it is to do half it in another.
put the points on your rents lisence if they are willing!
Reply 45
Dac.
the problem on our roads is not caused by speed, although that is a common factor, but the real root of it is with bad drivers. speed limits are not the bee all and end all. its sometimes safer to do twice the speed limit in one situation than it is to do half it in another.

Not really, what situation are you talking about? You are correct in that it is bad drivers and not necessarily speed limits that kill, but bad drivers + speeding is a recipe for disaster, and that is the combination most commonly exhibited on the roads. Don't forget, nobody thinks they're a bad driver. Take Lozzie_1990 for example, she thinks she's a good driver yet she showed such a lack of concentration she couldn't even notice a bright yellow speed camera pointing at her!
Reply 46
Barny
Not really, what situation are you talking about? You are correct in that it is bad drivers and not necessarily speed limits that kill, but bad drivers + speeding is a recipe for disaster, and that is the combination most commonly exhibited on the roads. Don't forget, nobody thinks they're a bad driver. Take Lozzie_1990 for example, she thinks she's a good driver yet she showed such a lack of concentration she couldn't even notice a bright yellow speed camera pointing at her!

sorry to appear like an arrogant *** but if you dont understand what ive said to be true and need an example then i cant be bothered to have another forum argument. when you know more about this 'stuff' then youll accept what i said as right :smile: sorry again.
Reply 47
your overreacting big time, a lot of people have 3 points on their license, big deal, get over it, $h!t happens
Reply 48
Barny
For a start in many cases the driver isn't solely to blame, getting nothing more than a fine and a few points in some cases. Causing death by dangerous driving isn't really a big offence here in the UK, for some ridiculous reason.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that because you do something everybody else does. I do not drive 2-3 mph above the limit at all times, and I don't think most others do either. It is generally better to follow the flow of traffic at 33mph than to hold them up at 28mph? What a complete load of *******s. For a start, 5mph doesn't make that great a difference to the flow of traffic, and people don't automatically tailgate you and honk the horn because you're following the speed limit and being a sensible driver.

You do realise that speed cameras are placed in accident blackspots, so in actual fact, a driver being more vigilant, breaking to get through the camera, and speeding up afterwards is exactly what they expect and exactly what they're looking for! To be honest, you're very opinionated for somebody who knows nothing about the things you've formed an opinion on.

As someone who lost a friend on the roads I have made an effort to learn a great deal about driving, safety, and the steps taken to ensure safety. I know perfectly well that there are legislations about exactly how many fatal/non fatal incidents have to take place in a certain spot for the local council to be legally allowed to put up a speed camera. I know that a certain percentage (normally 20) have to typically drive over the limit in this area in addition to this. And I also know a lot about the efficiency and accuracy of all types of speed cameras. Please don't accuse me of ignorance when you know nothing about me.

You say that braking and speeding up afterwards is 'exactly what they expect'. Going by this idea, this would effectively just move one accident hotspot from the speed camera area to a few hundred metres down the road, where drivers are speeding up and patting themselves on the back from getting through the cameras. This seems ridiculous to me. So the council can say, 'Look at this hotspot - last year there were 8 incidents in this area - this year there were only 2 - aren't we doing a great job!' Well what about the areas with no speed cameras?

Speed camera do not work because they do not increase driver awareness of THE ROAD which is what is necessary. I do not care if someone spots or doesn't spot a yellow camera half obscured by a bush. I care if they do not spot a lorry reversing in front of them and a bicycle coming up on their left.

Secondly my statement that the majority of drivers drive at 32-35 in 30 areas is absolutely indisputable. Perhaps you live in a very different area to mine, but there is absolutely no question that if you drove at 28 in a 30 area, people would get annoyed and they DO honk at you and they DO overtake you. Try it for yourself.

Thirdly I just cited a case of dangerous driving where the driver was sentenced to prison time which I thought was harsh, in spite of my connections to the victim. I agree that in some cases the punishment is not harsh enough, particularly, I think, for drink driving.

Please do differentiate between the average considerate driver who may speed and get into dangerous situations out of ignorance and the reckless arrogant ones who speed for the thrill of it. Remember that the former will also receive a life sentence of guilt, whether it was or was not their fault. I'm not saying that there aren't many instances of horrifically reckless driving - I'm saying please be aware that there are also some very reckless pedestrians and they are equally to blame.
Reply 49
You're absolutely infuriating. Just stop chatting crap, please. It is not indisuputable that the majority of drivers drive at 32-35 in 30 areas, it is complete *******s. I have lievd and driven in many areas of the UK and it is a MINORITY, in my experience, that do this, and I have been tailgated or honked at whilst doing the speed limit.

Accident blackspots are exactly that, a spot where due to lots of different factors it is particularly likely that a crash or accident will occur. 200m further down the road is NOT an accident blackspot, and it doesn't become one just because there is now a speed camera in the accident blackspot. I think you need to engage your brain a bit before you say these things.
Reply 50
Dac.
sorry to appear like an arrogant *** but if you dont understand what ive said to be true and need an example then i cant be bothered to have another forum argument. when you know more about this 'stuff' then youll accept what i said as right :smile: sorry again.

Again, engage common sense before you type anything. You absolutely cannot just make up fictitious, subjective examples which are engineered so that they coincide and reinforce your opinion. That's not the way the world works buddy. I asked for an example because I disagree and do not believe there is a single situation where going twice the speed limit is less dangerous than going half. You're chatting crap.
As a slight aside, does anyone think that it is imperative we have a review of speed limits in this country, especially on Motorways and Country Roads?

If anyone is from Central Scotland, there's a reasonably new stretch of road next to Cumbernauld which has an underpass, replacing a considerably large roundabout. It is a 50mph.

Last summer, I was driving through at 3am to pick up some of my mates from Glasgow. There was not another soul on the road, it was dry as a bone, visibility was perfect, the road is well lit, yet if I did 55mph, I was breaking the law.

By contrast, if I'd been driving along a narrow, twisty, windy country road (the type which are commonly National Speed Limit) with driving rain, snow, ice, wind and hail in January, I'd have been perfectly legally allowed to do 55mph without breaking any law whatsoever.

While I personally understand that such speed limits are maximums only (and therefore would adjust my speed accordingly to take into account any terrible conditions), sadly there are a lot of people who do not and would think nothing of driving 55mph, 60mph in these situations.

Also, I'd suggest that more needs to be done to publicise the correct speed limit on a dual carriageway with a central reservation - it's 70mph, not 60mph. Having someone slam on their brakes to go from 70mph to 60mph passing a speed camera is both dangerous and unnecessary.
I never agree with the limits in most places.

I can stop 40 - 0 faster than a fiesta 30 - 0.

Too be fair, a rewview would be superb, not quoting braking distances from 1970!
Friggerpants
I never agree with the limits in most places.

I can stop 40 - 0 faster than a fiesta 30 - 0.

Too be fair, a rewview would be superb, not quoting braking distances from 1970!

I think variable speed limits would be the way to go, especially at night in good, well lit conditions.

Driving with no cars on the road at 80mph is infinitely safer than driving 70mph in the rush hour, I'd say.
Take the shame love, not a lot you can do if you get a speeding ticket.
Reply 55
Barny
Again, engage common sense before you type anything. You absolutely cannot just make up fictitious, subjective examples which are engineered so that they coincide and reinforce your opinion. That's not the way the world works buddy. I asked for an example because I disagree and do not believe there is a single situation where going twice the speed limit is less dangerous than going half. You're chatting crap.

i resent that comment and urge you to do the same! read carefully before typing such crap.

just to shut your whining, heres an example;

take mr average joe. hes got 10 years driving experience with 3 points and a few crashes in his history. he is driving an averagely priced car, say an audi a4 for example.

scenario 1; he is driving through town on market day, speed limit is 30mph. many people are standing at the side of the road trying to cross. some are more dareing than others and the whole situation is dangerous for those people. 15mph here is half the limit but its still a very risky situation.

scenario 2; average joe is driving down the A1. its 5:00 in the morning and visibility is good enough not to warrent his lights. he gets to say near the scotch corner junction where the road is very straight. 140mph here is twice the speed limit yet there is less danger than in scenario 1. average joe has driven at high speeds before, and on a wide motorway hes just a fly on an elephants back.

now you get my point. now these are obviously the two extremes, but you see what im getting at. 35mph in a 30 does not equal DEATH just because its a 30. remember, speed doesnt kill, innapropriate use of speed does! ask any decent driver. now weve been through this many times before on here and i cant be botherd going through it again. so use the search function otherwise i wont repsond to a remark thats already been discussed before. :smile:
Dac.
i resent that comment and urge you to do the same! read carefully before typing such crap.

just to shut your whining, heres an example;

take mr average joe. hes got 10 years driving experience with 3 points and a few crashes in his history. he is driving an averagely priced car, say an audi a4 for example.

scenario 1; he is driving through town on market day, speed limit is 30mph. many people are standing at the side of the road trying to cross. some are more dareing than others and the whole situation is dangerous for those people. 15mph here is half the limit but its still a very risky situation.

scenario 2; average joe is driving down the A1. its 5:00 in the morning and visibility is good enough not to warrent his lights. he gets to say near the scotch corner junction where the road is very straight. 140mph here is twice the speed limit yet there is less danger than in scenario 1. average joe has driven at high speeds before, and on a wide motorway hes just a fly on an elephants back.

now you get my point. now these are obviously the two extremes, but you see what im getting at. 35mph in a 30 does not equal DEATH just because its a 30. remember, speed doesnt kill, innapropriate use of speed does! ask any decent driver. now weve been through this many times before on here and i cant be botherd going through it again. so use the search function otherwise i wont repsond to a remark thats already been discussed before. :smile:
Without wanting to get into any argument, isn't that just a ficticious, subjective example?
Reply 57
i pictured a bloke jumping out of the bushes... "gotcha!"

or maybe an alien planted it there as she drove past.
Reply 58
lessthanthree
Question:

How does a camera appear in front of you and flash you. I thought they could only flash if you had gone *past* them. Truvelos don't flash, right?

Or is that just implied and I've missed it :wink:

I questioned that but because of the big debate in here it got missed. I'm still wondering now!
Reply 59
maybe there are new invisible cameras... ? only appear when you are 5 metres infront of them.

Latest

Trending

Trending