The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Official 'Ask a Current Open University Student' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I want to start a Computing & IT degree, but I have some Math and computing background. Is it possible to exchange some Level 1 modules with another and still get the degree in Computing & IT, not Open?
For example instead of standard route TM111 + TM112 + TM129 + MU123/MST124
This option: YXM130 (Making your learning count) + TM112 + TM129 + MU123/MST124
Or: TM111 + TM112 + TM129 + YXM130 (Making your learning count)
Or: TM112 + TM129 + S111
If so, I will email the university, but I want to check the possibility first.
Thanks.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi,

Has anyone taken MS327 Deterministic and stochastic dynamics and/or SM381 Electromagnetism and could tell me what they are like, pls?

Many thanks. 😃
Reply 182
Original post by Shterna
Hi, I want to start a Computing & IT degree, but I have some Math and computing background. Is it possible to exchange some Level 1 modules with another and still get the degree in Computing & IT, not Open?
For example instead of standard route TM111 + TM112 + TM129 + MU123/MST124
This option: YXM130 (Making your learning count) + TM112 + TM129 + MU123/MST124
Or: TM111 + TM112 + TM129 + YXM130 (Making your learning count)
Or: TM112 + TM129 + S111
If so, I will email the university, but I want to check the possibility first.
Thanks.

Hi Shterna,

If you choose to study a "named" degree, instead of an "open" one you have to take the required modules and choose from the optional ones. You can't choose from outside the modules for that degree. Bear in mind that the Computing and IT degrees are accredited by the British Computing Society, so they have to cover the required material.

On the other hand, if you have studied computing or maths at first year university level, you can apply for credit transfer. This would mean that, provided the material you studied aligned closely enough with a module in your OU degree, you would be able to skip that module. But this is decided on a case by case basis.

Depending on your previous study, you can credit transfer up to 180 credits in an honours degree with the OU.

Dan
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi everyone, tempted to start the OU in 2025 at 18, most likely Psychology. Is there any current psychology students with the OU who would be able to give me a helpful guide as to how it works, topics, exams and TMAs. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest