The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick
Warwick by a fair distance. After that, both Bath and Bristol are good.
Congrats on the offer :biggrin:
Reply 3
Bath - far and away.
Reply 4
According to the "times ranking", Bristol ranks 3rd....thn is bath and 5th is warwick..is that true??
Reply 5
I'd much rather spend 4 years in Bristol.
That may be true, but Warwick is more respected amongst mathematicians, as far as I know. What are your offers from all of them? I think Warwick makes STEP part of offers, which only Cambridge does as well. I do think Warwick is the best choice.
Reply 7
Wht is STEP ? is it some requirement for Warwick???
Reply 8
Yeh, the table is messed up. They have LSE equal to imperial for maths when imperial is sooo much better. Choose warwick if you think you can meet the offer.
Reply 9
i need 37 points for Warwick...36 for Bath and Bristol
Reply 10
I see. Doesn't look like you need STEP then as I think that's only for A-level students:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/otherquals

So yeh, I would put Warwick down first I were you.
Reply 11
I agree with Shrayans; warwick is far more respected amongst mathematicians.

In my opinion, it is almost on par with oxbridge (for maths anyway)
Reply 12
thanks....
WARWICK BY A MILE - no doubt about it
Reply 14
Warwick is definitely the best out of those three for maths... So definitely have Warwick as your firm, and then I would say Bristol as your insurance.
Hmmm.... perhaps your offer doesn't have STEP, I thought they usually gave STEP as part of the offer, but no matter. Warwick is brilliant for Maths, and it is one of there best courses, I do recommend the place. However people do have to think about the environment, cost and what not, so think about it. Based on reputation I would say Warwick is the best, and I actually like the campus alot....

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 16
Warwick! Im going there!

Sorry, I always say that when someone discusses whether they should go to warwick or x.
Reply 17
Shrayans
Hmmm.... perhaps your offer doesn't have STEP, I thought they usually gave STEP as part of the offer, but no matter. Warwick is brilliant for Maths, and it is one of there best courses, I do recommend the place. However people do have to think about the environment, cost and what not, so think about it. Based on reputation I would say Warwick is the best, and I actually like the campus alot....

Good luck :biggrin:

Warwick only require STEP/AEA for pupils doing A-Levels... the reason being HL Maths (with the IB) contains all of A-Level Maths and even bits of A-Level Further Maths, and it's also considered more rigorous than its A-Level counterpart.
Fair enough, I don't know enough about IB maths. Although my teacher says its not close to F Maths. But I haven't seen the syllabi so can't comment.
Reply 19
From what I've heard, the Warwick maths course is a lot harder than other unis you've mentioned.

It is definitely one of the most repected for maths (some say second behing Cambridge) but only choose it if you are prepared to work very hard at uni.

Latest