The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Optometry foundation year/freshers week

Hi,

My name is Alisha. I have applied for a foundation programme in Optometry and I've been told I need to get BBB. I'm doing chemistry, psychology, English literature and Btec H&SC.
My target grades are ABC and Distinction.

How lenient are you with entry requirements for a foundation programme?
I think I'll get BBC. (C for Chemistry) will I still be lucky enough to get onto the course?
Optometry has always been a dream career of mine!

Also, what is freshers week all about, I have heard we can join societies during this week but I'm going to be staying at home and therefore won't be going to nightclubs or anything like that. Is that okay?
Is freshers week for every new student so including students like myself who'll be staying at home?

If I do get into Aston (fingers crossed) I'm just abit worried about freshers week.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Original post by Alisha999
Hi,

My name is Alisha. I have applied for a foundation programme in Optometry and I've been told I need to get BBB. I'm doing chemistry, psychology, English literature and Btec H&SC.
My target grades are ABC and Distinction.

How lenient are you with entry requirements for a foundation programme?
I think I'll get BBC. (C for Chemistry) will I still be lucky enough to get onto the course?
Optometry has always been a dream career of mine!

Also, what is freshers week all about, I have heard we can join societies during this week but I'm going to be staying at home and therefore won't be going to nightclubs or anything like that. Is that okay?
Is freshers week for every new student so including students like myself who'll be staying at home?

If I do get into Aston (fingers crossed) I'm just abit worried about freshers week.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Hi,

There will be some leniency in grades, however, we never truly know how much until a few days before clearing. There are a multitude of factors which affect them e.g. number of applicants, grades those applicants are holding, number of teaching staff per subject area, number of teaching rooms. Etc.

The only advice I can give you is try to plan for all the eventualities that results day can hold. Then don’t think about it until you are looking at UCAS track on the morning of results day.

In terms of Fresher’s Week, there isn’t anything to worry about, on our side it acts as an administrative week where we can get all the paperwork sorted and everyone enrolled. I did mine as a non-drinker living at home, it’s a valuable week to make a lot of friends before you start your course. If you’re outgoing and extroverted I would recommend getting stuck in and perhaps thinking about going to a few fresher’s events. The money you’ll spend on a taxi will still be less than what your friends will be paying for their accommodation.

If you’re more like I was when starting University, introverted and a little shy, then joining a club or society will be a great way to make friends, just make sure you pick something you’re genuinely passionate about and will show up to all the events, you’ll make a good group of friends in no time. I ended up running the society I had joined by final year and have a network of friends all over the UK and the world thanks to it. It was a really valuable experience.

If you have any more questions just give me a nudge.

Happy to chat.

Josh :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

There will be some leniency in grades, however, we never truly know how much until a few days before clearing. There are a multitude of factors which affect them e.g. number of applicants, grades those applicants are holding, number of teaching staff per subject area, number of teaching rooms. Etc.

The only advice I can give you is try to plan for all the eventualities that results day can hold. Then don’t think about it until you are looking at UCAS track on the morning of results day.

In terms of Fresher’s Week, there isn’t anything to worry about, on our side it acts as an administrative week where we can get all the paperwork sorted and everyone enrolled. I did mine as a non-drinker living at home, it’s a valuable week to make a lot of friends before you start your course. If you’re outgoing and extroverted I would recommend getting stuck in and perhaps thinking about going to a few fresher’s events. The money you’ll spend on a taxi will still be less than what your friends will be paying for their accommodation.

If you’re more like I was when starting University, introverted and a little shy, then joining a club or society will be a great way to make friends, just make sure you pick something you’re genuinely passionate about and will show up to all the events, you’ll make a good group of friends in no time. I ended up running the society I had joined by final year and have a network of friends all over the UK and the world thanks to it. It was a really valuable experience.

If you have any more questions just give me a nudge.

Happy to chat.

Josh :smile:

What are the chances of progressing from the foundation course to the actual optometry course?
Original post by muzy1
What are the chances of progressing from the foundation course to the actual optometry course?

Hi,

Once you successfully complete the foundation year you should be able to progress onto an Optometry course. Providing you meet the GCSE requirements.

Josh
Reply 4
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Once you successfully complete the foundation year you should be able to progress onto an Optometry course. Providing you meet the GCSE requirements.

Josh

I read somewhere that there was another interview at the end of the foundation year to see if you can get into the optometry course. How many student are selected for the actual optometry course?
Is it hard to transfer?

Quick Reply

Latest