The Student Room Group

Can I do optometry with a BTEC health and social

I wanna do optometry in Huddersfield university but I have to do BTEC health and social and BTEC psychology but would I be able to optometry with this in the degree called Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree”
Please someone reply
Original post by Okayokayokay573
I wanna do optometry in Huddersfield university but I have to do BTEC health and social and BTEC psychology but would I be able to optometry with this in the degree called Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree”
Please someone reply

It states on their website:

"Progression onto Optometry and Pharmacy is dependent on meeting stringent performance levels in the Science Extended Degree. You must pass all modules with an overall pass mark of at least 70%. Plus at least 70% in the Chemistry module and 70% in the Maths and Physics module. You must also successfully undertake an interview with the Optometry or Pharmacy admissions staff."

So yes that foundation year can lead onto the optometry course, but has reasonably high level requirements to progress to it. Keep in mind if you miss those requirements on the foundation year you would need to look at moving into a different course there - as foundation years are not necessarily transferable so there is no guarantee you would be able to apply to an optometry course elsewhere on the basis of that foundation year (it might be possible but it also may not be accepted).

As long as you keep that in mind though you can make an informed decision and plan accordingly :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
It states on their website:

"Progression onto Optometry and Pharmacy is dependent on meeting stringent performance levels in the Science Extended Degree. You must pass all modules with an overall pass mark of at least 70%. Plus at least 70% in the Chemistry module and 70% in the Maths and Physics module. You must also successfully undertake an interview with the Optometry or Pharmacy admissions staff."

So yes that foundation year can lead onto the optometry course, but has reasonably high level requirements to progress to it. Keep in mind if you miss those requirements on the foundation year you would need to look at moving into a different course there - as foundation years are not necessarily transferable so there is no guarantee you would be able to apply to an optometry course elsewhere on the basis of that foundation year (it might be possible but it also may not be accepted).

As long as you keep that in mind though you can make an informed decision and plan accordingly :smile:

Thankyou so much but I just need to know can I do BTEC Health and social and BTEC phycology and be able to get into this degree in uni ?
Original post by Okayokayokay573
Please someone reply

Well, what do the course entry requirements say?

It says they accept MMP from a BTEC Level 3 (which doesn't need to be in a science or technical subject), or 80 UCAS tariff points from a combination of level 3 qualifications. Provided you get the appropriate results and they are level 3 qualifications it therefore should be possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending