The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can't you ask for another form? Say you filled it in wrong and you need to start again? You won't get through to the same person on the phone and it won't be the same person who reads the form and does the assessment.
Reply 21
you could just contact them to say hes moved out. but like everyone else says, youll still get the non-income assessed loan which this year for me was £3000 so you can still get a loan if he doesnt fill it in. Also you should let him know that he can fill the form in and you will never be told what it says. So you wont know what he earns if thats his problem with it!
Reply 22
Angelil
Can't you ask for another form? Say you filled it in wrong and you need to start again? You won't get through to the same person on the phone and it won't be the same person who reads the form and does the assessment.

Isn't that fraud?
Emikoo

But my human rights say I have the right to go to london university and get my education I deserve. So what are they going to do about it???

Your human rights say no such thing, don't be ridiculous.

Get a job. It's what everyone else has to do, when their parents earn too much for full loans and grants, but won't contribute to their finances at uni.
Reply 24
flump
Isn't that fraud?

Yes it is.

I thought exactly the same as you, but the bloody government wants his income whether hes married to my mum or not. If he lives in our house. His income matters. Which is so unfair!!! I'm not gonna get any money cause hes on 50k a year.

How is it unfair? Why should both my parents income matter (they're both married and lvie together) but only your mum's matter?
Reply 25
Is easy for people who do pointless art degrees to get a job. I'm going to veterinary university which requires 9-5 five days a week. In the evenings I need to go over what I've done ready for many many assessment tests to see whether or not I can stay in the course and on holidays it is spent doing work experience which my university applies me for.
Oh and also I've tried working it out, even if I did get a part time job I still won't be able to afford it.
I'm not being ridiculous at all. Every human being has a right to go to university if thats what they want to do!
Reply 26
Titch89
Yes it is.

How is it unfair? Why should both my parents income matter (they're both married and lvie together) but only your mum's matter?

Because hes your dad! If he was my step dad it wouldn't bother me at all. But he is not my step dad or my dad. So he has no responsibility over me legally or otherwise??? So why should his income stop me getting a full loan which I need to go to university??
Reply 27
Emikoo
I'm not being ridiculous at all. Every human being has a right to go to university if thats what they want to do!

You are being ridiculous. Going to uni isn't a right; it's a privelege.

Because hes your dad! If he was my step dad it wouldn't bother me at all. But he is not my step dad or my dad. So he has no responsibility over me legally or otherwise??? So why should his income stop me getting a full loan which I need to go to university??

Well, he does live with you and helps bring you up.
Reply 28
Emikoo

You already said he's paying the mortgage. So your mum doesn't pay the mortgage. So she is significantly better off than if she was living alone. Obviously his income is impacting your situation.
Reply 29
No he doesn't! He only been going out with my mum for a year. How the hell has he brought me up?
Reply 30
His payment on the mortgage should effect my benefit, yes I agree with you snu. But why should is overall annual income stop me going to university?
Reply 31
Well, he has been with your mum for the last year. How would his income stop you going from university? or have you never heard of a job?
Reply 32
I just think its unfair.
Here I am, wanting to go to university and do something with my life and I don't know if it will be possible to do so, because the governments rules, and my current situations means I won't be able to afford it.
Yet you get people who don't work getting paid, you have pregnant teenagers being given houses and huge benefits and they do absolutly nothing for Britain but give it a bad name.
Sorry I'm getting angry I'm justso stressed. I've wanted be a vet since I was three. I've got an offer to do what I've always wanted, but yet again money and costs are stopping me do what I want. Its just so upsetting, I just feel like crying all the time.......:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 33
If you read above to one of my last posts, even a job wouldn't pay the costs that veterinary university in london requires... And his income is 50k which means I'm entitled to only the non assessed loan which is still not enough. Even with a part time job that my course would allow me to have...
Its all very confusing I know...
Reply 34
What about getting a job during the holidays then?
Reply 35
Well I am getting a job in the holidays before september to get some money. I think on my earnings that will give me about £1500 to start me off which will pay for about 1/4 of my accomodation fees. Not including food.. But yeah thats given me some money. And on my holidays duing university, London give you work placements you must complete each time such as "working in an abbatoir" in order to pass the course.
So yeah, I am looking for a job, but what I'm trying to say is even with the job and the non assessed loan I can't afford it, nor can my mum afford to take out a loan or anything to help me either.. Its so confusing and hard...
Emikoo
Is easy for people who do pointless art degrees to get a job. I'm going to veterinary university which requires 9-5 five days a week. In the evenings I need to go over what I've done ready for many many assessment tests to see whether or not I can stay in the course and on holidays it is spent doing work experience which my university applies me for.
Oh and also I've tried working it out, even if I did get a part time job I still won't be able to afford it.

Pointless arts degrees? You're really making us feel for your situation here, aren't you? Have you never heard of weekends? If you can't afford to live in London and study, then you have to make your choices differently. How do you expect to cope in the real world, if you can't afford something?

No, they have the right to a secondary education up to the minimum standard in that country. You have no 'right' to go to university, just because you feel like it. And you certainly don't have the right to go to a university in (one of) the most expensive cities in the country.

I think on my earnings that will give me about £1500 to start me off which will pay for about 1/4 of my accomodation fees. Not including food.

Working five days a week on the average of about £5 an hour, you can earn £200 a week, which is at least £1600. You get a higher loan to live in London, which will just about cover your accommodation (believe me, I've checked). So you'd have your accommodation through loans and grants, and £1600 to live off for the rest of the year, and that's presuming you don't get a job at all.
Reply 37
Titch89
What about getting a job during the holidays then?

Vets have to spend their holidays doing work experience in order to qualify.

Emikoo

Oi, don't knock Arts degrees. I know you're upset, but Arts students can work hard too. And those living on benefits don't get that much either.

Is it absolutely necessary that you study in London? A vet degree is a vet degree - it could work out cheaper for you to study somewhere else, where living isn't quite so extortionate.

Is it possible for you to take a gap year, or is that discouraged? Working full time for a year from home might be boring, but at least you'd save up a bit.

Failing that, have you had this conversation with your mum and her boyfriend? They're the ones whom you should really be trying to persuade that you're in trouble, not us. I appreciate this is a difficult situation for you, though. :smile:
Reply 38
Surely vets would get some sort of holiday? :confused:
Reply 39
Joanna May

Working five days a week on the average of about £5 an hour, you can earn £200 a week, which is at least £1600. You get a higher loan to live in London, which will just about cover your accommodation (believe me, I've checked). So you'd have your accommodation through loans and grants, and £1600 to live off for the rest of the year, and that's presuming you don't get a job at all.

That still doesn't cover her tuition fees...

Latest

Trending

Trending