The Student Room Group

Maintence loan question

In my household my mum is the main person who provides for me and is the only one who will be giving me any money during my stay at uni and her income alone would make me qualify for a bursary but my mum's boyfriend's income means I won't qualify even though he won't be giving me anything. His income also severely impacts how much of a maintenance loan I can get. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to get a better maintenance loan and a bursary.
He also doesn't have any legal guardianship over me if that affects it.
Thanks
If he’s part of your mum’s household then his income will be assessed.

The only way for that not to happen is if you list your dad’s household as your main support or you meet the criteria to be classed as independent of your parents (getting married or supporting yourself financially for 3 years are the two simplest of these criteria to meet).
Original post by Bea Martin
In my household my mum is the main person who provides for me and is the only one who will be giving me any money during my stay at uni and her income alone would make me qualify for a bursary but my mum's boyfriend's income means I won't qualify even though he won't be giving me anything. His income also severely impacts how much of a maintenance loan I can get. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to get a better maintenance loan and a bursary.
He also doesn't have any legal guardianship over me if that affects it.
Thanks

Hi Bea,

You should also let us know if your Mum and her partner expect their income to drop by more than 15% in the current tax year. If they do we can take their estimated income into account instead, and this may change your entitlement.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending