The Student Room Group

Sky multiroom without the extra £10

Hey all

at the moment at my house (living room)we got sky with a load of other mixes n that. but does anyone know how to connect sky to a different room and then be able to change the channel in the new room? i already got my dad to dig out a extra £20 per month for sports channels and i dont want to ask him to pay an extra tenner for the sky multi room.

thanks!
There are ways, but none are as cheap as just getting the multi-room thingumy.
i dont mind paying a one of fee like upto £100
Reply 3
Isnt that illegal?
nope
Reply 5
but your face is!
Reply 6
gbtesh
Hey all

at the moment at my house (living room)we got sky with a load of other mixes n that. but does anyone know how to connect sky to a different room and then be able to change the channel in the new room? i already got my dad to dig out a extra £20 per month for sports channels and i dont want to ask him to pay an extra tenner for the sky multi room.

thanks!

We use this to control our Sky boxes from other rooms, and I think we put the signal on the main distribution (feeding it through the Sky boxes first).
But there are other ways of doing it.
Our sky goes through the cables so that you can watch whatever is on the front room box in my room etc. Goes to every room in the house. We just payed a tv/ariel man to do it...
Reply 8
ShinyApple
There are ways, but none are as cheap as just getting the multi-room thingumy.

If you only want to be able to view it and change it in the other room, then you can do it for much cheaper than £10 a month.
If you want to be able to view 2 different channels at once, then yes it would be cheaper to just get the multi-room.
Reply 9
You get AV senders from Tesco, or anywhere like that. You can only watch the same thing as the other room, but you can change the channel in either room.
alex_hk90
If you only want to be able to view it and change it in the other room, then you can do it for much cheaper than £10 a month.
If you want to be able to view 2 different channels at once, then yes it would be cheaper to just get the multi-room.

Yep, you're probably right actually. Coax it over and then just use that infra-red thingumy.

Small applause is coming from me.
Reply 11
You could phone Sky and try to blag yourself free Multi room by saying your not "very happy with your Sky experience" etc - may be feasible if you are paying for premium channels or have been a member a long time.

Thinking about giving it a try as we've got a regular sky box just sitting here doing nothing
If you just want to be able to watch the same as what's on in the main room just get an AV sender like has been suggested.

Alternatively if you want the new room to be able to watch what it wants and you don't already have Sky+ then you need a pretty big upgrade because a standard dish can only support one Sky box - if you get Sky+ (which can receive two channels at once) or Sky Multiroom an installer will come and replace the receiver on your dish for one that can tune into four channels at once (technical term: "quad LNB"). Even if you managed to set this up yourself you'd need a viewing card for the extra box - it's going to have to be bought through Sky Multiroom.

Although if you already have a four-output receiver and happen to have a spare standard Sky box lying about (as many of us do who've upgraded to Sky+) there's nothing to stop you running your own cable from the dish to your extra Sky box and asking Sky for a free viewing card that they'll provide that gives access to only Freeview channels.

Latest

Trending

Trending