The Student Room Group

becoming a tutor!

hi i am 14 years old (nearly 15) and doing my GCSEs! i get good grades and need a bit of extra cash! (mum and dad are fed up of "lending" :wink: me money!) so i am planning to become a tutor! i need some extra info on this so just like how to advertise and how to price it and so on! any help would be brilliant! i want to tutor in maths and science to anyone under 12 i want to do it to mainly people i know! X :biggrin: :borat:

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

This tutoring company pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here (uni level students only)

Discussion on how to become a tutor here
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
oo nice idea! :biggrin:
Reply 2
i did tutoring and i charged from £5 to £10 an hour according to the subject and the level. I did KS3 which was only £5 an hour and i did GCSE £10 for maths/science only. I could range to other subjects like history, geography and DT but i would have to do a bit of extra reading to do so. The reason why my price were so low was because i was a Y11 student at that time and so people just had my previous grades to judge my knowledge on. It was successful and i had made good amount of cash but i stopped after a few months as i found it was interfering with my own studies.

i would say that as your a GCSE student ur pricing must be low and you should make sure u knw wot ur talking about INSIDE AND OUT! it can b very awkward if i child asks you a question which is actually simple but you haven't come across yet. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Mobs25

Original post by Mobs25
i did tutoring and i charged from £5 to £10 an hour according to the subject and the level. I did KS3 which was only £5 an hour and i did GCSE £10 for maths/science only. I could range to other subjects like history, geography and DT but i would have to do a bit of extra reading to do so. The reason why my price were so low was because i was a Y11 student at that time and so people just had my previous grades to judge my knowledge on. It was successful and i had made good amount of cash but i stopped after a few months as i found it was interfering with my own studies.

i would say that as your a GCSE student ur pricing must be low and you should make sure u knw wot ur talking about INSIDE AND OUT! it can b very awkward if i child asks you a question which is actually simple but you haven't come across yet. Good luck

Where/How is it best to advertise for tutoring in your local area?
Reply 4
Original post by JOR2010
Where/How is it best to advertise for tutoring in your local area?

Word of mouth was my best tool but i was able to advertise it in school as well (need to get permission tho). If you are looking for some kids in ur area apposed to your school then i would recommend a news agent, if you know a family with children then maybe just drop a leaflet or some info in there mail box. But i have found that if you help one person and ask them to spread the word, more people will more likely follow.
Reply 5
Original post by Mobs25

Original post by Mobs25
Word of mouth was my best tool but i was able to advertise it in school as well (need to get permission tho). If you are looking for some kids in ur area apposed to your school then i would recommend a news agent, if you know a family with children then maybe just drop a leaflet or some info in there mail box. But i have found that if you help one person and ask them to spread the word, more people will more likely follow.

Alright, thanks for the information!
My bro tutors a friends sister in maths and charges £10 an hour, but he's not strict if it runs over 10 mins or anything, still just charges £10.
I want to do this, although I want to do GCSE Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Tutoring. Perhaps Geograohy as well although I'm not getting great grades in that >_<
Original post by holly_
hi i am 14 years old (nearly 15) and doing my GCSEs! i get good grades and need a bit of extra cash! (mum and dad are fed up of "lending" :wink: me money!) so i am planning to become a tutor! i need some extra info on this so just like how to advertise and how to price it and so on! any help would be brilliant! i want to tutor in maths and science to anyone under 12 i want to do it to mainly people i know! X :biggrin: :borat:

You don't tutor maths, maths tutors you.
Original post by Mobs25

So you were tutoring GCSE students without having completed any GCSEs yourself?
Reply 10
There are lots of tutoring agencies around but sadly, at your age, the best ones won't pick you up because...well, you're just a kid.

Wouldn't worry though. There are plenty of stupid, poncy rich kids with pushy parents. Easy money.
Reply 11
Original post by kbountra
So you were tutoring GCSE students without having completed any GCSEs yourself?

i was in year 11 tutoring gcse y10 work and ks3 ... the only gcse subject i actually taught was science (bio)... ks3 was mainly what i taught.
Reply 12
Greeting!
It is very exciting to hear from you that you are considering the same thing as I am! here is my thread and some advice might found on it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32237808&highlight=math%20tutor
But in order to become a math tutor at such young age you have to have a great common sense and understand of math concept, so you have to try hard, be confident and make their parents believe in you, good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mobs25
i was in year 11 tutoring gcse y10 work and ks3 ... the only gcse subject i actually taught was science (bio)... ks3 was mainly what i taught.

Where abouts would you tutor, like do they come to your house, or do you go to their house or what???? I was thinking about tutoring too, next year obviously.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd love to do this! :smile: For GCSE maths and physics... :smile:

Good luck OP!
Same lmao this is way too late but how did you become a tutor?
Reply 16
Im a year 11 student at the moment and have my GCSE’s in 5 months but would like to tutor GCSE English to year 10s. Would i be able to do this as i’m predicted a 7 in English already?

Quick Reply

Latest