The Student Room Group

my 16 year old girlfriend wants me to go prom with her

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelinahx
I know that you’re 19 and dating a child. If you were in the US, you could be legally prosecuted for sexually assaulting a minor.
I’m 18 and I’d never date anyone three years younger than me.

But he is not in the states so that has no relevance.
Original post by Bio 7
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be aloud.

Aloud or allowed? :wink:
i'd like you all to note he legit asked if it would be okay in the UK, not the US. age of consent in UK is 16, also it doesn't really even matter if OP doesn't have a sexual relationship with his girlfriend. even if he did, it would be okay, since the age of consent is 16.
Reply 23
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Aloud or allowed? :wink:

Ah crap, they kept writing aloud and I didn’t even notice.
Original post by Andrew97
But he is not in the states so that has no relevance.

It’s inherently inappropriate, is the point I’m trying to get across. You can be prosecuted for it in several jurisdictions. Regardless of the cultural or legal context, it’s just fundamentally weird. A 16 year old is a child, probably in the midst of her GCSEs. Not sure why y’all are justifying dating or having sex with children in this country, but sure.
(edited 5 years ago)
It was a fundamental example to show you how inappropriate their relationship is. A 16 year old is a minor and if he was to f*ck her in the US, he’d be sent to adult prison which would imply their relationship... isn’t appropriate as it’s illegal in several jurisdictions.

And he wouldn't in most US states, so you're wrong. There's no two ways about it.

It is not inappropriate if UK law says it is legal. The law reflects our culture. It is ridiculous to impose US attitudes towards sex onto OP, when we have our own legal standard which in fact is more complete and nuanced than any US state law as it applies to a greater number of people.
Original post by Vimto1234
im 19 and my 16 yr old gf wants me to take her to prom.
first question is is this even aloud in the uk?
would it be strange?
and how would we go about doing it?

Original post by Vimto1234
I want to go with her tbh
But I don't even know if it's aloud

Original post by Bio 7
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be aloud.

The word is allowed! :fuhrer:
I make no comment as to whether the above situation would actually be allowed though...
Reply 27
Original post by Stevo F
The word is allowed! :fuhrer:
I make no comment as to whether the above situation would actually be allowed though...

You are a bit late, I edited it.
It’s inherently inappropriate, is the point I’m trying to get across. You can be prosecuted for it in several jurisdictions. Regardless of the cultural or legal context, it’s just fundamentally weird. A 16 year old is a child, probably in the midst of her GCSEs. Not sure why y’all are justifying dating or having sex with children in this country, but sure.

You can’t be prosecuted in the U.K. Nobody here has justified sex with children, don’t be absurd.

to the OP, it’s up to the school on who they let on their grounds at any given time.
Original post by Notoriety
And he wouldn't in most US states, so you're wrong. There's no two ways about it.

It is not inappropriate if UK law says it is legal. The law reflects our culture. It is ridiculous to impose US attitudes towards sex onto OP, when we have our own legal standard which in fact is more complete and nuanced than any US state law as it applies to a greater number of people.

Sigh.
Over 50% of all Americans live in states where the legal age of consent is 17 or 18. Yes, there are more states that have applied a 16 limit, but they’re usually small redneck states so no one cares and it’s still not considered socially appropriate. It also doesn’t apply to more people as 175 million Americans are affected by the 17-18 limit and your population isn’t even half of that. And FURTHERMORE, the point I’m trying to get across is that it’s fundamentally inappropriate. A 16 year old remains a legal child, regardless whether you’re in the US or the UK and like I said, I’m not sure why y’all are trying to justify having sex with children.
(edited 5 years ago)
You can’t be prosecuted in the U.K. Nobody here has justified sex with children, don’t be absurd.

to the OP, it’s up to the school on who they let on their grounds at any given time.

A 16 year old is a CHILD. If OP has sex with her he’s having sex with a legal minor and therefore, a child. It’s inappropriate and illegal in several jurisdictions, which inherently implies its inappropriate nature to most normal people.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sigh.
Over 50% of all Americans live in states where the legal age of consent is 17 or 18. Yes, there are more states that have applied a 16 limit, but they’re usually small redneck states so no one cares and it’s still not considered socially appropriate. It also doesn’t apply to more people as 175 million Americans are affected by the 17-18 limit and your population isn’t even half of that. And FURTHERMORE, the point I’m trying to get across is that it’s fundamentally inappropriate. A 16 year old remains a legal child, regardless whether you’re in the US or the UK and like I said, I’m not sure why y’all are trying to justify having sex with children.

You can repeat yourself all you like. No one cares.
Original post by SheepWolfe
i'd like you all to note he legit asked if it would be okay in the UK, not the US. age of consent in UK is 16, also it doesn't really even matter if OP doesn't have a sexual relationship with his girlfriend. even if he did, it would be okay, since the age of consent is 16.

It is still socially inappropriate.
A 16 year old is a CHILD. If OP has sex with her he’s having sex with a legal minor and therefore, a child. It’s inappropriate and illegal in several jurisdictions, which inherently implies its inappropriate nature to most normal people.

But it’s not illegal here, therefore your point has no relevance. Nobody gives a **** what some U.S states say about it.

It’s illegal to be a male homosexual in Uganda, that law has no relevance to people in the U.K.
Original post by Notoriety
You can repeat yourself all you like. No one cares.

Mmmkay, have fun justifying pedophilia and having sex with legal children.
Legal issues aside

You'll have to check the school's policy.
At my school you couldn't invite anyone to come with you, whether they went to the school or not.

I guess if you are both okay with it, the school is and her friends are, then go have fun
Reply 36
Original post by SheepWolfe

Then there's the fact most people with a brain want the AOC to be 18, not 16. The law is opinion based, not morality set in stone.
Sigh.

we're not justifying it, we're just saying that this is the UK, NOT THE US. US laws don't apply here. while your opinion is valid, you can't call it 'fundamentally inappropriate' when it is literally said in our law that it's pretty much ok. the sexual aspect has nothing to do with it anyway, you're the one who imposed that topic into the conversation. we're talking about a romantic relationship - the sexual aspect has nothing to do with OP's post since he is legitimately just asking whether he can take his girlfriend to prom or not.
Reply 38
But it’s not illegal here, therefore your point has no relevance. Nobody gives a **** what some U.S states say about it.

It’s illegal to be a male homosexual in Uganda, that law has no relevance to people in the U.K.

F*ck the law, the age of consent should be 18. There is no difference between the vulnerability of a 15 year old to a 16 year old. They are both children and mentally underdeveloped compared to people 18 and above. End of.
Reply 39
Honesty I’d enquirer to the school about it , I was in a similar situation , I personally would let her go without you as it my be akward , you guys will have way more opportunities later in to do things like this , id let her take it as an opportunity to say goodbye to school friend x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending