The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard for me to get a girlfriend?

I am a 22 year old guy who never had a girlfriend before and I am turning 23 after just 15 days and it kills me from inside. I did have my first ever date on 16th Sept 2023 which was a just almost 3 months ago. She is 19 and we went to the mall and ate in Mcdonalds and took pics and I had my first ever hug and I was pinching her cheeks a lot as she is cute. But 2 weeks after the date, she became really toxic to me after I messaged her and she said very mean things and blocked me everywhere. It looked like she just used me for free lunch and take pics of her so she can post on social media.

I just graduated college few months ago and I will be studying MBA next so going for classes to prepare for exams to get into an MBA B School and also going to some institutes to learn coding and programming. There in the classes I made a female friend who is also either 22 or 23. We even went out a bit over a month ago and had lunch in a nice restaurant but I was too shy to ask for a hug especially as we are just friends. It was fun. We still talk but I don't see any signs of developing it into a relationship. I do have crush on this another class in the same class and she is also 22. She even said last week that I am cute and I also said she is cute and pinched her cheeks but I am shy infront of her too so she is the one who initiates conversations with me. I blush too much when she tries to talk to me. Nowadays I am seeing her hanging out with her male friends and she even hugged one of them yesterday and that made me angry and I messaged him angrily as he hugged her but later apologized. I see her a lot with another of her male friend and he sometimes even keeps his hand around her shoulder. He does know I have crush on her but idk what's going on.

Today I felt even worse when I went to this fest next to the Institute which was full of 21-25 year olds. I could see so many girls and guys hanging out with each other there enjoying their day whereas I am too shy to even say a simple hi to a girl. I felt bitter and lonely as I also saw some of them holding hands and walking. That's something I guess I can never experience. I also message some girls on Instagram who were in my school but we only have a short chat and they end up ghosting me for no reason. Only one of them who is 19 chats regularly with me and we plan to meet up soon but I still feel lonely. I used dating apps but they never worked so I deleted them as well. Idk why it is so hard for me
Original post by Hero22
I am a 22 year old guy who never had a girlfriend before and I am turning 23 after just 15 days and it kills me from inside. I did have my first ever date on 16th Sept 2023 which was a just almost 3 months ago. She is 19 and we went to the mall and ate in Mcdonalds and took pics and I had my first ever hug and I was pinching her cheeks a lot as she is cute. But 2 weeks after the date, she became really toxic to me after I messaged her and she said very mean things and blocked me everywhere. It looked like she just used me for free lunch and take pics of her so she can post on social media.

I just graduated college few months ago and I will be studying MBA next so going for classes to prepare for exams to get into an MBA B School and also going to some institutes to learn coding and programming. There in the classes I made a female friend who is also either 22 or 23. We even went out a bit over a month ago and had lunch in a nice restaurant but I was too shy to ask for a hug especially as we are just friends. It was fun. We still talk but I don't see any signs of developing it into a relationship. I do have crush on this another class in the same class and she is also 22. She even said last week that I am cute and I also said she is cute and pinched her cheeks but I am shy infront of her too so she is the one who initiates conversations with me. I blush too much when she tries to talk to me. Nowadays I am seeing her hanging out with her male friends and she even hugged one of them yesterday and that made me angry and I messaged him angrily as he hugged her but later apologized. I see her a lot with another of her male friend and he sometimes even keeps his hand around her shoulder. He does know I have crush on her but idk what's going on.

Today I felt even worse when I went to this fest next to the Institute which was full of 21-25 year olds. I could see so many girls and guys hanging out with each other there enjoying their day whereas I am too shy to even say a simple hi to a girl. I felt bitter and lonely as I also saw some of them holding hands and walking. That's something I guess I can never experience. I also message some girls on Instagram who were in my school but we only have a short chat and they end up ghosting me for no reason. Only one of them who is 19 chats regularly with me and we plan to meet up soon but I still feel lonely. I used dating apps but they never worked so I deleted them as well. Idk why it is so hard for me

You need to build yourself. Go to the gym and improve your social skills.
Just so you know, you can be in a relationship and still be very lonely. Dont let a relationship define who you are. You say you are shy, its not exactly a negative thing. You will meet someone like you, if you are happy within the person you are, you do not need to change. Everyone is different, everyone has different ways of communicating. If on the other hand, you feel like you want to change and improve ( but only for yourself) but start small, take it one step at a time.

As an example, if you feel you are shy, write down what makes you shy and in which particular circumstances, and then try to address that one by one. Nothing will be done overnight it will take time.

Importantly it seems you may need to control your emotions, getting angry at what someone else does, in which you have zero control will just lead to trouble for you, and it not a trait you want to develop as you get older.

Whilst having some jealousy is understandable within a relationship, but having no relationship with someone and getting jealous is your own insecurities.

One last bit of advice: never worry about looking silly, who cares what someone else thinks, you do you. If you have to fake confidence then go for it until you are comfortable been a confident person.
Reply 3
It can be difficult to find the right person. You just have to keep trying. Ask the girl out who said you’re cute. Not sure what cheeks you’re pinching, but be careful that it’s welcomed. Avoid McD too
Reply 4
You go on a date to McDonald’s when you are 16, not 22.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending