The Student Room Group

my 16 year old girlfriend wants me to go prom with her

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling * on bus and multi tasking lol
Original post by Plus7
Then there's the fact most people with a brain want the AOC to be 18, not 16. The law is opinion based, not morality set in stone.

as a 16 year old myself i think it's stupid that i wouldn't be able to have sex at 16, but can still legally smoke at 16. hmmmmmmm.
i think at 16 i have the responsibility to make my own life choices and do as i wish with myself
Original post by SheepWolfe
we're not justifying it, we're just saying that this is the UK, NOT THE US. US laws don't apply here. while your opinion is valid, you can't call it 'fundamentally inappropriate' when it is literally said in our law that it's pretty much ok. the sexual aspect has nothing to do with it anyway, you're the one who imposed that topic into the conversation. we're talking about a romantic relationship - the sexual aspect has nothing to do with OP's post since he is legitimately just asking whether he can take his girlfriend to prom or not.

Yeah, and that’s my f*cking point. At 19 you should be in your second year of university, not deciding whether or not to go to a school prom with your minor girlfriend. They’re at totally different stages in life. It’s an illegal relationship in several jurisdictions and it’s socially inappropriate in all regardless of cultural context. A 16 year old is a child. A 19 year old is an adult. In Nigeria the legal age of consent is 11, that doesn’t make it okay to have sex with children.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Plus7
F*ck the law, the age of consent should be 18. There is no difference between the vulnerability of a 15 year old to a 16 year old. They are both children and mentally underdeveloped compared to people 18 and above. End of.

Then campaign for the law to be changed then. Simples. Do you think people suddenly develop between when they are 17 and 364 days and when they are 18? Of course not.

Plus, that would not stop the OP from dating them. You can’t make laws against that. Nothing in the OPs post suggested a sexual relationship, so it’s a non point.
(edited 5 years ago)
as a 16 year old myself i think it's stupid that i wouldn't be able to have sex at 16, but can still legally smoke at 16. hmmmmmmm.
i think at 16 i have the responsibility to make my own life choices and do as i wish with myself

You don’t. You’ll realize that in about 2-3 years. I moved to London by myself at 16 and I was a child. I was very mature for my age, but I was still a child. My younger self would have hated me for saying this, but 18 is a reasonable age limit.
Original post by Andrew97
Then campaign for the law to be changed then. Simples. Do you think people suddenly develop between when they are 17 and 364 days and when they are 18? Of course not.

Plus, that would not stop the OP from dating them. You can’t make laws against that.

Stop 👏 justifying 👏 having sex 👏 with children 👏

The “law” doesn’t change the fact that it’s inherently wrong. FGM is legal in some jurisdictions, does that make it okay? Certain countries have set the age of consent at 11, does that make it okay?

You genuinely sound insane.
Just because something is legal doesn’t make it appropriate or right.
Original post by angelinahx
Stop 👏 justifying 👏 having sex 👏 with children 👏

The “law” doesn’t change the fact that it’s inherently wrong. FGM is legal in some jurisdictions, does that make it okay? Certain countries have set the age of consent at 11, does that make it okay?

You genuinely sound insane.
Just because something is legal doesn’t make it appropriate or right.

I think you are the insane one here not me. 11 and 16 is a huge age difference. At 16 you get many rights in the U.K. FGM is a stupid comparison.

the OP said nothing to suggest it was a sexual relationship, you are the one who keeps bringing up sex with children.

We we are not arguing whether it is appropriate or not, it’s the legal status that matters.
Original post by Andrew97
I think you are the insane one here not me. 11 and 16 is a huge age difference. At 16 you get many rights in the U.K. FGM is a stupid comparison.

the OP said nothing to suggest it was a sexual relationship, you are the one who keeps bringing up sex with children.

We we are not arguing whether it is appropriate or not, it’s the legal status that matters.

My point is that just because something is legal doesn’t make it RIGHT. He should break up with her and let her focus on her GCSEs because they’re at totally two different stages in life.
You don’t. You’ll realize that in about 2-3 years. I moved to London by myself at 16 and I was a child. I was very mature for my age, but I was still a child. My younger self would have hated me for saying this, but 18 is a reasonable age limit.

even if 18 WAS the age limit, everyone wouldn't listen anyway. even NOW people don't listen. besides, i didn't say i felt mature enough to have the ability to move out. even i know i couldn't deal with that. i just think it's dumb that people have such tight constraints on legal age limits, i don't see the big deal here. i get the whole 'massive age gap' thing - op's age gap is pretty big but we don't know anything about the nature of his relationship so we can't make a solid judgement whether it's wrong or not. same goes with any relationship similar to this. besides, some adults have age gaps of like, 10 years.
even if 18 WAS the age limit, everyone wouldn't listen anyway. even NOW people don't listen. besides, i didn't say i felt mature enough to have the ability to move out. even i know i couldn't deal with that. i just think it's dumb that people have such tight constraints on legal age limits, i don't see the big deal here. i get the whole 'massive age gap' thing - op's age gap is pretty big but we don't know anything about the nature of his relationship so we can't make a solid judgement whether it's wrong or not. same goes with any relationship similar to this. besides, some adults have age gaps of like, 10 years.

If you’re not mentally mature enough to move out, you’re not mentally mature enough to make choices about your own life.
There’s a reason it’s set at 18. 16 year olds are children and they’re legally classified as such so they aren’t old enough to 1) consent where I’m from 2) do much of anything else without their parent’s consent. That sounds reasonable because at the end of the day, y’all are children.
In my state he could be legally prosecuted (most Americans live in states with a 17 or 18-year old age of consent) and even in a situation like that, a 16 year old is an underage minor, a child.

On Mars Americans are legally not allowed to speak.
Reply 51
OP is a female
If you’re not mentally mature enough to move out, you’re not mentally mature enough to make choices about your own life.
There’s a reason it’s set at 18. 16 year olds are children and they’re legally classified as such so they aren’t old enough to 1) consent where I’m from 2) do much of anything else without their parent’s consent. That sounds reasonable because at the end of the day, y’all are children.

moving out and having sexual relationships with people are two completely different things?? i just,, i don't understand where you're coming from, but ok.
Reply 53
Original post by Vimto1234
im 19 and my 16 yr old gf wants me to take her to prom.
first question is is this even aloud in the uk?
would it be strange?
and how would we go about doing it?

Do you even know what Vimto is?😒
moving out and having sexual relationships with people are two completely different things?? i just,, i don't understand where you're coming from, but ok.

If you’re not mentally mature enough to live on your own like most 18 year olds are expected to do (at least in college dorms etc), you’re not old enough to make choices regarding your own life.
Original post by ab173
OP is a female

oh damn. sorry op i made an assumption, should have checked, my apologies.
If you’re not mentally mature enough to live on your own like most 18 year olds are expected to do (at least in college dorms etc), you’re not old enough to make choices regarding your own life.

ngl we're making our own life decisions all the time, like choosing what subjects we're taking at school. if we're old enough to do that, we're old enough to consent.
ngl we're making our own life decisions all the time, like choosing what subjects we're taking at school. if we're old enough to do that, we're old enough to consent.

Okay love.
Original post by Vimto1234
How come?

Bro do you want to be called a nonce and locked up in jail coz 16 year old girl and 19 year old boy is Gona look pedo
My gf is 16 and I’m 18 we’re both at college she’s in her first year and I’m in my third I’ll turn 19 a few months before she turns 17 so the idea that I would be a paedophile and compared to a 40 year old man who tries to talk to 13 year old girls is ridiculous 🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending