The Student Room Group

my 16 year old girlfriend wants me to go prom with her

Scroll to see replies

OP, as others have said, just check with the school. If they allow it, go for it. Have a good time if you can go. I'd have loved to have had a girlfriend at the time of my prom to go with!

Also, ignore the angelinah, she's not worth listening to or arguing with :smile:
Original post by Andrew97
But it’s not illegal here, therefore your point has no relevance. Nobody gives a **** what some U.S states say about it.

It’s illegal to be a male homosexual in Uganda, that law has no relevance to people in the U.K.

Stop comparing gay people with pedophiles 👏
Original post by angelinahx
I know that you’re 19 and dating a child. If you were in the US, you could be legally prosecuted for sexually assaulting a minor.
I’m 18 and I’d never date anyone three years younger than me.

good thing we dont live in the us
in the uk there is no law about dating + she is 16 and is able to give consent to sexual acts.
okay, guys, there's a lot of posts here.
first, I want to clarify I am 18 atm and my GF is 16. at the time of the prom, I will be 19. nothing sexual has happened in our relationship in the year and a half we have been together. the reason for this is because i truly do love this girl and don't want her to be seen badly by her school peers, we decided to wait till she is 18.
all i wanted to know is if i could take her to her prom as she is shy and wants me to comfort her. I did not ask u to bring laws into this as trust me i have looked at them all already.
Reply 64
Then campaign for the law to be changed then. Simples. Do you think people suddenly develop between when they are 17 and 364 days and when they are 18? Of course not.

Plus, that would not stop the OP from dating them. You can’t make laws against that. Nothing in the OPs post suggested a sexual relationship, so it’s a non point.

17 and 18 = different to 16 and 15 which is the argument here. 18 is just being completely safe.

It doesn't matter if he didn't mention s*x, we both know they're doing it. Don't be so f*cking naive.
If you’re not mentally mature enough to live on your own like most 18 year olds are expected to do (at least in college dorms etc), you’re not old enough to make choices regarding your own life.

You can also join the army at 16. You outraged at that too?
Do not go. Not because of the age gap, but because you would be supporting a bad American tradition, which is designed around heterosexual relationships.
Original post by Plus7
17 and 18 = different to 16 and 15 which is the argument here. 18 is just being completely safe.

It doesn't matter if he didn't mention s*x, we both know they're doing it. Don't be so f*cking naive.

Look at the post above yours,
Reply 68
Look at the post above yours,

LOOOOOOOOOL still naive. OP is clearly trying to save himself after the backlash and saw an out when you wrote he's not talking about s*xual things happening.
Reply 69
Original post by Anonymous
okay, guys, there's a lot of posts here.
first, I want to clarify I am 18 atm and my GF is 16. at the time of the prom, I will be 19. nothing sexual has happened in our relationship in the year and a half we have been together. the reason for this is because i truly do love this girl and don't want her to be seen badly by her school peers, we decided to wait till she is 18.
all i wanted to know is if i could take her to her prom as she is shy and wants me to comfort her. I did not ask u to bring laws into this as trust me i have looked at them all already.

Still you finding a child is weird on it's own mate. I'm 25 and wouldn't even touch or flirt with an 18 year old girl. They're not in my realm age and experience wise. It's weird mate.
Original post by RichPiana
You can also join the army at 16. You outraged at that too?

*With the consent of the parents. You have to be 18 to make an informed, independent decision and that should apply within the context of sex too.
Original post by Plus7
LOOOOOOOOOL still naive. OP is clearly trying to save himself after the backlash and saw an out when you wrote he's not talking about s*xual things happening.

Op is a girl. I have no reason not to believe the OP.
Original post by Vimto1234
im 19 and my 16 yr old gf wants me to take her to prom.
first question is is this even aloud in the uk?
would it be strange?
and how would we go about doing it?

The level of stupidity in this thread is shocking; slave morality at its finest. OP, you're okay. You're only 3 years apart and are not breaking any laws.
(edited 5 years ago)
*With the consent of the parents. You have to be 18 to make an informed, independent decision and that should apply within the context of sex too.

But they’re still a child, right? Which parent would let their child join the army? Similarly, 16 year olds have gotten married too.
Op is a girl. I have no reason not to believe the OP.

its true
we have ourselves a troll
get a life and also wat prom is happening in September makes no sense please explain ....
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
its true
we have ourselves a troll
get a life and also wat prom is happening in September makes no sense please explain ....

Look at anon1. OP is 18 now, but will be 19 by the time of the prom.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
lol it gets better 😂

Good to know. I do admit it’s a strange thing to start up a TSR account for......

Yes, because I trust people like you to make informed and independent decisions. You do not have to be 18 to make an informed and independent decisions and 16-18 year olds are hardly different i.e. mostly all stupid and make poor decisions.
By this logic, the age of consent should be raised.
(edited 5 years ago)
Stop comparing gay people with pedophiles 👏

I’m not, I’m merely stating a foreign law has no relevance in the U.K.
Good to know. I do admit it’s a strange thing to start up a TSR account for......

i know right the things people have time for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending