The Student Room Group

my 16 year old girlfriend wants me to go prom with her

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
I’m not, I’m merely stating a foreign law has no relevance in the U.K.

That’s different though. There’s intricate homophobia involved in those laws whereas the US laws involves the protection of minors against someone sexually assaulting and possibly grooming them. I’m definitely not saying that’s what’s happening with OP and her girlfriend, but it’s a totally different context.
It’s inappropriate. I’m 18 and could never date a girl who was 15 because she’s not at my level intellectually or socially. 16 (and 15) year olds are fundamentally children. 19 year olds are not.
Original post by angelinahx
I know that you’re 19 and dating a child. If you were in the US, you could be legally prosecuted for sexually assaulting a minor.
I’m 18 and I’d never date anyone three years younger than me.

Wow, americans use thestudentroom - looks like tsr is growing
That’s different though. There’s intricate homophobia involved in those laws whereas the US laws involves the protection of minors against someone sexually assaulting and possibly grooming them. I’m definitely not saying that’s what’s happening with OP and her girlfriend, but it’s a totally different context.
It’s inappropriate. I’m 18 and could never date a girl who was 15 because she’s not at my level intellectually or socially. 16 (and 15) year olds are fundamentally children. 19 year olds are not.

There is an argument to it not being appropriate. You should have stuck with that at the beginning rather than the whole “this is illegal in the US thing” as that was never going to stick.
y'all just let op be. op, i don't see the big issue with you going to prom with your girlfriend, if she wants you there because she's shy and for comfort then i'd go ahead, it's good to support your significant other. good luck!
Original post by Vimto1234
I want to go with her tbh
But I don't even know if it's aloud

You’re in a legal relationship, the age of consent in the UK is 16 so any age above that is legal (although like if you were 50 it’d be wrong) but if you wanna go then go, you’re not breaking any laws or doing anything illegal. If she’s allowed to take you then there’s no harm in it.
Stop comparing gay people with pedophiles 👏
hey my names is matthew burke and i want to be your bf
im the one for you
Original post by Vimto1234
im 19 and my 16 yr old gf wants me to take her to prom.
first question is is this even aloud in the uk?
would it be strange?
and how would we go about doing it?

DOOOMED

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending