The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any regrets?
Applying to Edinburgh without doing the proper research into their selection procedure (no interview), and my Newcastle interview was my first so didn't go too well
How do you feel about your position now?
More than happy, I've got two offers asking for two different grades, and should be able to achieve them easily
Unsuccessful? Try again next year?
I would've done, if I hadn't got my offers
What drew you to your choices?
Kinda random choices tbh, based on stupid little things
Advice for 2009 cycle?
Get some good work experience, think about possible interview questions but don't over-prepare, just relax about the whole thing, you'll do much better for it
Was all the hard work worth it?
Definitely, in 5 years time I should be on the verge of heading out as an F1 :biggrin:
Work experience reflections?
Harder work getting it than I actually did while I was there!
Reply 21
Any regrets?
not applying to imperial. but then again i would have been rejected with a BMAT score like mine and that can be another regret i.e. not doing well in BMAT.

i feel pretty happy and kind of proud. i had problems and fell a year behind before GCSE's and i was told then that medicine is not for me and i should do business!

hopefully not but you never know what happenes with A-levels

location and course.

Advice for 2009 cycle?
get your personal statement done and choose your unis in the summer and dont use it as an excuse to fall behind in school/college work.

Indeed!!!!

as AlexL said: difficult to get but not that amazing.
Haven't answered my own questions... :p:
#
Any regrets?
None whatsoever. Applying has been one of the most challenging, emotional rollercoastering amazing experiences ever and things can only get better.

Fantastic. Got an offer from my first choice and I have a decent back up. Looking forward to September...

If i was I would have done

Nottingham-went on the Sutton trust there and instantly fell in love with the campus the course and everything about the place
Manchester-Good university, close to home in a city i was really comfortable with
Liverpool-Ditto Manchester
King's College-Reputation but further away from home. Wanted to go there when I was little and I love London.

Advice for 2009 cycle?
Believe in yourself and be confident in your interviews. it shows and you might actually enjoy yourself.

Yes defo.

Was an effort to get it, easy to do and oh so worth it in the end.
Reply 23
Any regrets?
Not really. Mostly just regret a few stupid things I said in my interviews. I also wish I'd been able to relax a bit more during the last few months, usually I don't get this stressed about anything.

Absolutely thrilled to have two offers but still not sure about which one to choose.

Like Alex said I would have done if I hadn't got offers.

Type of courses they offered, wanted to go to a big city, their entry requirements.

Advice for 2009 cycle?
Try to be as organised as possible- you don't want to miss open days or have to pay extra for your UKCAT etc. Take everything one step at a time and try not to worry too much when you're waiting for replies. Just get on with A Levels.

Absolutely.

Volunteering on wards wasn't exactly fun but the couple of days I spent shadowing doctors was fantastic.

...and of course how is working towards the final A-Level exams going.
I think ARGH pretty much sums it up.
I have a reflective question or two...

How did you find the UKCAT?

Do you reckon the UKCAT should be used in the medical application process?

Could the UKCAT be replaced by the BMAT for all universities?

and of course, the favourite,

If you could go to ANY UK medical school, would it be the one you have chosen as your firm? If not, where and why?

Just thought I'd see how people found the UKCAT, and revive this thread a bit too!
Woo more questions :p: xD (It is quite interesting to see what people think about the whole application thing after going through it)

-I thought it was going to be hard, but found that it wasn't really that bad, although I have to say that was one of the most boring 2 hours of my life staring at a screen clicking :s-smilie:

-It doesn't prove who would be a good doctor, and it may show a slight sign of intelligence so I don't see much point of it really (Maybe that's just me...and the fact they only looked at 3/5 sections this year o_o)

-They could do, the BMAT is considerably harder, and it seemed more relevant as it covers various different types questions that involve logical thinking, scientific knowledge, a random essay which is fairly open...and stuff like that.
Oh yeah I'm gonna add that I never want to do the BMAT again :p:

If you could go to ANY UK medical school, would it be the one you have chosen as your firm? If not, where and why?
-I would think either Nottingham or King's College.
Nottingham - loved the university and the area and went to the Sutton Trust Summer School there which was great :biggrin:
Kings - I like London, like the university, not too far or too close to home :p: probably other stuff...but can't think of it right now..

Wasn't too bad - it's OK if you can work well under time pressure without getting bogged down. Aside from the sample test on the website to familiarise yourself with the format, I don't think much can really be done in preparation. I only found that "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book useful for the Abstract Reasoning section, which ended up being scrapped anyway.

Not really, I'm still not sure how it indicates a candidate's "clinical aptitude" with what are essentially loads of re-hashed 11+ exam questions. The medical schools that use it don't really seem to take it into consideration a great deal anyway.

Wouldn't be a bad idea - the UKCAT seems to be something you're either good at or you're not (which would be pretty good for medical schools to differentiate between candidates if the results were actually relevant to how good a doctor they'd make), whereas you can actually prepare for the BMAT, so everybody has a fairer chance, depending on how much work they want to put in, but it tests just how well you work under pressure as well. I think the essay alone is more useful than the whole UKCAT, it's the only part of the admissions process that can really test how well a candidate can construct a logical argument (and it's not an easy essay either, given only 3/4 of an A4 side and a choice of equally bizarre topics). It's also a hell of a lot cheaper =P

As awesome as Imperial is, I think I'd prefer to go to UCL a little more. The open day was great, I prefer its location within London (South Kensington's a really nice area but with **** all to do) and there's other stuff too but I can't really remember it right now, and I don't like it that much more than Imperial to care too much.

A sheer waste of time. They took out both section 5 and AR, and I had to do it in the midst of thers doing their driving tests, which also explains why my results were so bad...but yes, I'm thankful that it's over.

It doesn't exactly show any clinical aptitude. I mean, it doesn't matter if you're good at spatial stuff when you're a doctor. The DA I can understand, but why do they need to see if we're good at abstract reasoning? Also, you can do fairly well by clicking random letters on the screen if you're lucky, so i don't think it shows much accuracy.

Could be. I personally found the BMAT practice tests easier, I didn't apply to BMAT unis because my referee forced me not to, but I thought they were easier than UKCAT. However, UKCAT could be replacing BMAT since "quicker" to assess and to categorise candidates if they have only one admissions test.

You know, when I read the question I thought I would have loads of other schools that I would want to go to, but thinking honestly, I don't think so. I might've wanted to go to Imperial but it's expensive. But at the end of the day, I don;t think I'll regret going to Southampton and if i were to apply again, I would definitely apply there. (Of course, have to get the grades first)
Reply 28
graemematt
I have a reflective question or two...

How did you find the UKCAT?!

Not too bad, keep a cool head and work through methodiclly. Its all about prioritising what you can do and damage control on the ones you have to guess.

graemematt

I don't think so personally, but they have to do something to narrow the field I suppose.

graemematt

I think that is a viable way forward. Personally I think the BMAT was a lot harder in pure ability, whereas the UKCAT was so different for each person (since everyone gets different Qs) You're never sure how much was comparatively 'extra' in ability and how much was a booster by lady luck. Of course, generally, those who got high scores are very very able, and I don't want or intend to take anything away from them; but the way its been run this year does raise questions about the reliability and validity of it as a selection tool.

I deliberately ignore the last question because I don't think I'm qualified to give an opinion, yet:p:

I agree with whoever said that having driving test candidates around you was irritating- all the to-ing and fro-ing wasn't really very helpful for concentration purposes! If I'm honest, I would say that it went on far too long and I hated the Abstract Reasoning section :rolleyes:

I personally agree with those people who have said that it isn't really that useful for determining who would be good doctors, though I think the Decision Analysis section would be the most insightful for admissions tutors. I also found that aspects of the personality section, while complimentary, were entirely wrong about my personality, despite answering the questions honestly (yes, really :p:)

Although it was harder, I'd prefer to do the BMAT any day as it just seemed so much more relevant to medical school applications and in a way, was quite fun :redface: I think the essay would tell you a lot more about a person that the personality section of the UKCAT, plus it was much cheaper than the UKCAT and you could sit the exam in a quiet, familiar room (my school is a test centre) :biggrin:

Of all the medical schools I visited, I'd still pick my firm choice, although I would be equally happy to go to my insurance :biggrin: That's a hard question though, as I didn't look at all the options available (i.e. I excluded those that were too far away from home before I even looked at their courses etc) and as an applicant, I probably saw the good sides of everywhere I went! It's not until I'm actually studying somewhere that I think I'd be able to choose properly, but as it stands, definitely my firm :biggrin:
Reply 30
I found the questions mostly ok and the timing wasn't as bad as I'd expected. However it did feel like just another hoop to jump through, not really something that would actually help a uni decide on the people who'd make the best doctors. It cost too much, especially when they didn't use 2/5 of it.

Possibly, but I think the score system is misleading and the non-cognitive section should be scrapped.

I didn't take the BMAT but it does sound more useful and less pointless than the UKCAT, and if it was used for all universities it could lessen this idea that a certain 4 med schools are better than the rest :p:

Interesting question... right now I think I'd still pick Notts over anywhere else, but I won't really know until September!
Reply 31
- Totally irrelevant, there are so many people who did better in BMAT than UKCAT and i think that shows something's wrong with UKCAT as BMAT is a far more established test. I didn't do very well in UKCAT, but managed to score a satisfactory score for BMAT..however my UKCAT score was the factor that stopped me from applying to Edinburgh..T.T

-Hell NO!! I think it's already quite obvious that UKCAT can be practised for and i don't think it should be released before being tested properly.

-Yes, if the Universities want an entrance exam, BMAT it is.

-Edinburgh or Cambridge(though i'm happy with Bristol). Just love those two cities, they're absolutely beautiful! Reputation wise, they're excellent. I would never want to go to London, it's not meant for me.
Pepe Le Poosh
Haven't answered my own questions... :p:
#
Any regrets?
None whatsoever. Applying has been one of the most challenging, emotional rollercoastering amazing experiences ever and things can only get better.

Fantastic. Got an offer from my first choice and I have a decent back up. Looking forward to September...

If i was I would have done

Nottingham-went on the Sutton trust there and instantly fell in love with the campus the course and everything about the place
Manchester-Good university, close to home in a city i was really comfortable with
Liverpool-Ditto Manchester
King's College-Reputation but further away from home. Wanted to go there when I was little and I love London.

Advice for 2009 cycle?
Believe in yourself and be confident in your interviews. it shows and you might actually enjoy yourself.

Yes defo.

Was an effort to get it, easy to do and oh so worth it in the end.

Out of interest, how come you didn't go for Oxbridge?

:smile:
Any regrets?
Applying to BSMS....its waaaaaay to competitive, even for a medical school

ecstatic, now I just have to get the grades for Imperial

I nearly was unsuccessful and would have applied next year but am glad to not be in that position.

I liked the course, place......it was more of a process of elimination of where I didnt like!!!

Advice for 2009 cycle?
Think carefully about where you apply, and prepare prepare prepare for interviews

Yeah!

Was very helpful and it is very advantageous to have a range of good work experience
Any regrets? No

How do you feel about your position now? Happy but also weird because now its 100% down to me as I have my offers and am now totally in control of my fate exam wise (supposedly) which feels scary.

What drew you to your choices?I realised that it was the one place I'd have been truly gutted not to get an offer from and that having grown up with UCL being the only med school i knew of my dream of medicine was so based around it that it was the logical choice

Advice for 2009 cycle? don't doubt yourself, put all of yourself in it and just go for it- your pasion will show through, don't be afraid to be yourself. I'd say that I'm hardly the most academic person and certainly not totally academically minded and I felt quite stupid at most of my interview days and I learnt that it really isn't about that its about letting people see who you are and what you can give. I remember telling them at my notts interview that I wasn't amazingly bright and not totally naturally academic but I'd work harder because of it and because of my passion for what I was going for and I'm sure it helped.

Was all the hard work worth it? one million percent

Work experience reflections?learnt loads and really enjoyed it, start as early as possible if you can because it really can be such a great experience. I did hospital voluntary work which I'm still doing now and loved it

Basically anything...
...and of course how is working towards the final A-Level exams going. its horrid, but the goal is worth it
Speedbird2008
Out of interest, how come you didn't go for Oxbridge?

:smile:

Its far to competitive. I would never have gotten in and then even if I had i preferred Nottingham and Manchester and would have chosen them over Oxbridge anyway. People think I'm brave for turning down GKT because 'If you didn't study at Guy's then your not a doctor' but then how brave would they think I am for turning down Oxbridge.
Good thread!

Any regrets?

Nope, regretting is a waste of time. I applied to the places I really wanted to go to and always knew it would be a bit risky...

Really happy/grateful/relieved. Imperial is going to be amazing! :biggrin:

As others have said, if I hadn't got any offers I would definitely have taken a gap year and re-applied.

Oxford - if I'm honest, the pretty buildings and the prestige. Naive and shallow? I hold my hands up :P:

Imperial - the course, the location, the opportunities.

UCL - see above.

Glasgow - family ties, I also love the city (especially the west end).

Advice for 2009 cycle?

Write a killer, un-cliched personal statement. If you're applying to BMAT unis then get familiar with the type of questions they can ask and know National Curriculum KS4 science inside out. Be realistic about where you apply but also go on that 'gut instinct' feeling.

Absolutely.

It's quality not quantity and it's what you make of it. If you volunteer on a ward and just stand around waiting for people to tell you what to do then you'll hate it. Oh and do Vitalise - it's fantastic experience and you'll meet some awesome people. Especially if you go to Netley Waterside House!

Expensive.

Errm, well I suppose it's yet another way to differentiate between candidates though if I were an admissions person I'd put a lot more weight on an applicant's PS, academics and reference. So in one word: no.

No because then Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL would just introduce another (even harder) admissions test.

:biggrin:
Pepe Le Poosh
Its far to competitive. I would never have gotten in and then even if I had i preferred Nottingham and Manchester and would have chosen them over Oxbridge anyway. People think I'm brave for turning down GKT because 'If you didn't study at Guy's then your not a doctor' but then how brave would they think I am for turning down Oxbridge.

Fair enough. :smile:
Brilliant. Just faced it as if it was one of those CAT tests we did in Yr 7 and 12. The abstract reasoning was weird though.

Yeah. It's like an IQ test, so it selects the 'most intelligent' applicants whereas A levels/IB select for the applicants who had the best teaching. Of course, I may just have this opinion cos my ALevels weren't fab, but my UKCAT score was.

No idea, I didn't do the BMAT.

and of course, the favourite,

If you could go to ANY UK medical school, would it be the one you have chosen as your firm? If not, where and why.
I think I'd go to Leeds given the choice. It's a lot closer to home and I know the city better, but in reality if you actually gave me the chance, I'd probably still go to Aberdeen (my firm).
Reply 39
Any regrets?

Hmm, im not sure. I guess i regret applying to Bristol due to the sheer number of applicants this year against the fact that they only interview the top 10ish% i really stood no chance of an interview what with them not using an admissions test and me having average GCSEs for a med. app and also not doing any sport or music. Other than that no i dont think so. I'm glad i gave Cam a shot-showed me that Cam was not for me at all + i would always have thought id want to go there if i hadn't given it a shot. UCL and Kings i dont regret applying to. I suppose i do regret preparing for my cam interview over my UCL one (which was the day after the cam one), if id focussed on my UCL one then i wouldv'e been more confident and not been rejected for lacking in it.

Positive. I'm in a better situation than most other people who will be applying next year because i've been through the application process before and have had 3 'trial' interviews in preparation i suppose you could say. Also, i'll have my grades next year which is obviously an advantage (assuming i achieve them that is). Furthermore, i know i have a good PS base as it got me three interviews so it can only be better next year having gained even more experience by Oct hopefully as a HCA. PLus i really do need a gap year to mature and devope as a person before i'll feel ready to get the most out of med school :smile:

Indeedy :smile: To UCL, Barts, Newcastle and Sheffield

Cambridge-the course-i thought i wanted a heavy science based course, turns out i dont :smile: More interested in patient contact now. Also, the prestige and pretty building :rolleyes:
UCL-good course, reputation, location, social life...everything
King's-ditto to UCL but on interview visit i didnt like the atmosphere...
Bristol-purely the rep...didnt know where else to choose.

Advice for 2009 cycle?

Don't assume you won't be one of the people who doesn't get an offer. I thought that last year. I thought that if you didn't get an offer it was probably because you didn't have the passion/motivation/ability to get one. I was wrong. Saying that...be confident at interviews...that was my downfall...probs due to lack of prep...so yer prepare thoroughly!

Not yet but i believe one day it will be.

Don't jus do it so you can write it on your PS. Enjoy it! Talk to the patients!! They make work experience sooo much more interesting compared to just watching a doctor write down things you don't understand yet.

Nerve-wracking. Easy enough to get a decent mark though. Expensive though...

No. I think the BMAT should be though. Much better indicator of ability. And i agree with whoever said about an essay where you can express your opinions/ideas being better than a little personality test thing...although i did like my result from that section lol, always an ego boost :wink:

Yup. See above.

UCL. Has everything i'm looking for. Luckily they've given me the opportunity to reapply which i will of course take up.

Latest

Trending

Trending