The Student Room Group

What is your advice?

Hi so

On Monday I say my paper 1 economics paper and I honestly did so badly, I missed so many maths questions and these grades are important because they are my UCAS grades. I'm getting A's* for my other subjects but I'm getting C's and D's for economics. This paper went down so badly. In a few days' time, I also got to sit paper 2 of economics, I really need to up my grade so I can at least get a B. I would say my problem is that I panic and waste time answering questions, and maths isn't my strong point, so whenever I see maths I start to panic as well and then skip these questions... I really need to get an A for the unis I wanna go to. do you have any advice on what I should do?
Reply 1
Have a talk with a teacher or whatever student support staff you may have, and see if there's any way you can retake the year if you're not happy with the grades you have. In the meantime try and get some kind of tutor to help you with maths.
Read the paper beginning to end so you have an idea of how much you’ve got to complete in the allotted time.

Then, read it again. Don’t write anything.

Then start.
Reply 3
Original post by EN62938
Have a talk with a teacher or whatever student support staff you may have, and see if there's any way you can retake the year if you're not happy with the grades you have. In the meantime try and get some kind of tutor to help you with maths.

I don't really want to retake the year that's the thing :/. It's just this subject that I'm somehow failing, the other subjects I'm excelling at. If I were to do better in the next mocks to come in year 13, is there a possibility my grades could change?
Reply 4
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
I don't really want to retake the year that's the thing :/. It's just this subject that I'm somehow failing, the other subjects I'm excelling at. If I were to do better in the next mocks to come in year 13, is there a possibility my grades could change?

Of course your grade can still change, I'm assuming they calculate it based off of your cumulative score from both papers so a strong paper 2 will probably influence the grade quite a bit. As for the exam itself, the best advice I could give is don't study on the day of the exam, take the prep time to relax a bit, get into the right mindset before going into the exam hall.
Reply 5
Original post by EN62938
Of course your grade can still change, I'm assuming they calculate it based off of your cumulative score from both papers so a strong paper 2 will probably influence the grade quite a bit. As for the exam itself, the best advice I could give is don't study on the day of the exam, take the prep time to relax a bit, get into the right mindset before going into the exam hall.

Thank you so much! Paper 2 is macroeconomics So I think ill be able to talk more and earn more parks. Paper 1 I skipped so many questions and only answers the big markers but my teacher is so strict with marking so I'm just hoping he is generous

Quick Reply

Latest