The Student Room Group

Strict ass Srilankan parents

So basically i have ridiculously strict srilankan parents. Apparantly i have to study 24/7. My parents dont want me to enjoy myslef or have a social life at all. They say that i cant have friends as they will lead me to a bad path. I got straight A's in my GCSEs and apparantly i got an a F in all my exams according to them. They do not allow to have a console. I used to have a phone but they took that away from me because apparantly i failed my GCSEs. So now i stay after school for like 4-5 hours to get all my work done on the computers. I am not allowed a girlfriend cause apparantly it is bad for me. They keep on cursing me saying i should die and that they wish they adopted a child instaed of having me. Im not even allowed to have a break between subjects when studying home. I was watching youtube and i got beaten for watching during a break. Caues apparlt yi dont need a break when studying. They make me stay up to 2 in the moring to study and then wake me up at 6 to study more. I get tons of verbal abuse from them. My parents are threating to pull me from school cause apparntly i not good enough. They literally want to get rid of me well not literally they actually want to. I cant move out as im only 16.
I dont know what to do with them anymore. Please someone help me and give me some advice.
Reply 1
Tell whoever you trust in school what you've just written here. This sounds like abuse and I'm sorry you're being subjected to it. It's horrible.
I agree with the above user, you are going to burn yourself out or even im assuming youre already burned out. its so horrible what you are going through please reach out to someone for help! you might be thinking your parents will curse at you more for doing this but honestly if you dont tell anyone youre going to to be in this continuous cycle alone and that is not a nice feeling. Are you allowed to leave in your frees at your school or do you have any compulsory study periods? If you have the freedom to leave in frees i strongly suggest you take it as at home your going to be putting in the work anyway (which should be the otherway round tbh) and do something to escape your mind from any study related stuff. i hope stuff gets better for you! Also well done on your GCSEs ( sorry for the bad format/grammar)
Reply 3
Wtf this is literal child abuse. Why the hell do some parents not see their children as humans? I’m sorry you have to go through that. 16 year olds need more in life than just studying all the time (and you don’t get nowhere near enough sleep—and let’s not even get into what sustained verbal and physical abuse does to mental health). This is horrible please seek help
(edited 5 years ago)
to be fair i agree with you see if you compaire to indian parents thay can be strict but their also very careing and care about your eduction i hate srilanka i hate that i was born in srilanka like why do thay have to be like that and be overportective i dont have friends but if i had friends and go ask like my parents and thay will say no you cant go out with your friends because thay would like you say lead you in a bad path way to be honest if thay kick me out i would be sad but at the end of that when i start my new life i would not even remember my parents and to be honest with you i wish i was not even born as a srilankan like i get you were born in a old fashion way but thay need to know that the old fashion is gone and you know what i wish srilankans were not ******* strict
Yes. This is obvs abuse. Talk to someone you trust asap.

If that fails... defy your parents.
Right now, you are the "golden, perfect child" they have been blessed with. 0 social life and studies 24/7
They don't know any different.

So do the opposite, stay at school longer, to study there or hang out with friends. Lie and just be the opposite. Once they see this, they'll be grateful for your old self.

I'm fortunate my parents aren't like this, despite them being south asian.

Gosh, i can't believe people have kids and treat them like this, its disgusting.

DO THIS:
1) Talk to a trusted adult at school, a teacher. See if they can help, may be than can find ways for you to have freedom
2) defy your parents if you have no-one at all to help you (obvs do no.1 so that you have evidence you've done nothing wrong beforehand)
3) ignore my no.2 advice and be HELLA SNEAKY and have some sort of freedom.
YOU ARE ONLY A TEEN ONCE. YOU HAVE NO RESPONSIBILTIES LIKE HOUSE BILLS, SO YOU NEED TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT. YOUR TEENAGE YEARS ARE SO SHORT. I'M 16 AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I ONLY HAVE 2 YEARS LEFT

4) hopefully this won't happen, but the next sort of freedom you are having is marriage.... you need to get out of your parent's trap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending