The Student Room Group

York Econ BSc vs Manchester Econ Bsc

Any thoughts on which I should put down on my UCAS?
In terms of graduate prospects and such?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Which did you choose in the end?
Original post by JessNg
Which did you choose in the end?

Are you choosing between these courses as well?
York
Reply 4
@Infinite Series Yes I'm torn between the two.
York has a better course and teaching along with a better ranking. Manchester is less intellectually stimulating, but has a better international reputation (I'm local however there is a possibility that I want to work in abroad in the future), with Bloomberg facilities and a prestigious research department.

I haven't had a chance to look around the unis, so with the UCAS deadline in 2 days I am quite panicked. Therefore, I think distinguishing which one is better in job prospects will help me decide? :frown:

@FreeMarketMeme, may I ask why you chose York?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by FreeMarketMeme
York

er why? when Manchester is the most employer-targeted uni (albeit mostly due to the 40,000 student pool)
Original post by JessNg
@Infinite Series Yes I'm torn between the two.
York has a better course and teaching along with a better ranking, yet Manchester has a better international reputation (I'm local however there is a possibility that I want to work in abroad in the future), with Bloomberg facilities and a prestigious research department.

I haven't had a chance to look around the unis, so with the UCAS deadline in 2 days I am quite panicked. Therefore, I think distinguishing which one is better in job prospects will help me decide? :frown:

@FreeMarketMeme, may I ask why you chose York?

I'll be completely honest with you- employers care more about the university reputation than what you learn on each course (for anything financial). You're correct in identifying Manchester's strong international reputation which brings you a much larger pool of successful alumni than York which is important for landing jobs as connections are everything in the world of finance. Manchester will look great on your CV when applying to most jobs, but I can't say the same for York.

The choice is up to you, but in my opinion York isn't on the same level as Manchester once you've graduated.
Reply 7
@Infinite Series, thanks so much for the advice! I'm currently stressing because I've been so unmotivated this year and feel as if my grades a dropping. Mocks aren't going well and I am constantly procrastinating :frown:
Original post by JessNg
@Infinite Series, thanks so much for the advice! I'm currently stressing because I've been so unmotivated this year and feel as if my grades a dropping. Mocks aren't going well and I am constantly procrastinating :frown:

You've still got enough time to get the grades you want, but I can't say this in a months time.
Don't worry about your performance in these mock exams- use them to learn more about yourself; where did you go wrong, what do you think you could have done better etc. This is so you don't make these mistakes in the real exam, which is why I like regular exams. You're not expected to be in a position to do your real exams at the moment- you have 4.5 months left, so you shouldn't feel too bad about not getting the grades you want at the moment.

Everyone has different ways of motivating themselves. I personally thrive in competition as I like to be able to say 'I did better than you' to my friends at school. This keeps driving me to work harder as I know that my friends will be working even harder than I did for the previous exam so that they could try to 'beat me'.
Think about what you want in future, and understand that doing well in these exams will make your journey a lot easier. You don't want to look back in a few years and think 'I wish I had worked harder during these exams'.

Now go and make me proud Jess:five:
Original post by A Rolling Stone
er why? when Manchester is the most employer-targeted uni (albeit mostly due to the 40,000 student pool)

If you look at the uni guide website for earnings after graduation then you’ll see that those from York earn more. Makes sense to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending