The Student Room Group
Reply 1
newman24x
I read in a newspaper that MIT's CS (or is it EECS) teach their students how to build a web browser...wow. Do you University have those kind of courses?

Building a web-browser isn't rocket science, after you've done a CS degree at any decent uni you should have the capabilty to put together a basic web browser. The main part of the browser is just an HTML rendering engine, which just goes through the html+css and figures out placement of everything before drawing it. A web browser is probably one of the more complex pieces of software on the desktop, but it's not particularly sophisticated.
Reply 2
Yeah I don't think there's anything fundamentally difficult about building a simple web browser. It would be a huge amount of work to include all the features people would be expecting though. For example, a javascript interpreter, plug-in support, etc.
Reply 3
hurm...any good site that offers tutorial that shows how to build one? maybe i should get started than :smile: What kind of language you use to build your browser?
Reply 4
Our "build an OS" project is probably the hardest 2nd year coursework :tongue:
Reply 5
wais
Our "build an OS" project is probably the hardest 2nd year coursework :tongue:

Agreed. Have fun. ;P
Reply 6
newman24x
hurm...any good site that offers tutorial that shows how to build one? maybe i should get started than :smile: What kind of language you use to build your browser?

I doubt you'd find a tutorial for the whole thing. But you might be able to find articles that deal with the subproblems involved (such as parsing HTML, rendering the images, etc.).

You could use any language you want. Perhaps a Java browser could be a bit slow, but it could still be done.
Reply 7
Had to write a HTML parser in an exam once, fun times!
Our first year project was to build a 2d text based adventure game. Taught me a lot but wasn't that hard. Only reached about 1 Klock.
Reply 9
Vjyrik
In an exam?
Was it just supposed to be a parser or had to give some kind of output?
Did results have to go into linked lists or simple arrays?

From memory, it was the lexical and token stages. I think we were presented with a (reduced) HTML spec and had to take it from there.

Latest

Trending

Trending