The Student Room Group

Uk student; what are my chances of getting accepted into MIT

I am a student at one of Uk best grammar school, Queen Elizabeth, and I have an ambition to enter MIT in the future, what should I do to prepare in advance(note; I am just a few years into the school, and have not taken/ got the stress of GCSes for a few years) e.g extra curricular things
Reply 1
Which subjects interest you?
Reply 3
Who will pay for it?
Living costs?
Reply 4
Original post by domonict
Who will pay for it?
Living costs?

MIT has very good financial aid, but they are need-aware. Will also not help OP, but I would assume they would apply to other (non-MIT) schools, and many of MITs peers (Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale etc) are need-blind, so would not consider OPs financial situation.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I am a student at one of Uk best grammar school, Queen Elizabeth, and I have an ambition to enter MIT in the future, what should I do to prepare in advance(note; I am just a few years into the school, and have not taken/ got the stress of GCSes for a few years) e.g extra curricular things

To be honest ur chances are extremely low, I think that last year only 2 people from the uk got into MIT. Also I dont mean to come off as rude but what school u go to does not matter, there are a lot of very smart people at bad schools and stupid people at good schools. US applications are honestly very luck based, thats why u see all these americans applying to like 10-15 different colleges whilst we only apply to 5. Unless you are incredibly smart, the chances of an MIT acceptance are unfortunately very low
focus on enjoying life, exploring your interests, have hobbies... when you get to around 16 after GCSEs you can start exploring more seriously

Please don't get caught up on one university, especially one like MIT. I was convinced I was going to go to Oxford until high school when reality hit me. If you really, really want to go to a great school, look at MIT peers, like another user said here. MIT is a hot choice, especially recently, with people from all over the world. When speaking to high-achieving students in the US, they all want to go to MIT; no one cares about Harvard anymore because they are obsessed with going to the best of the best. Do your best on a-levels and GCSEs, make sure the subjects you take are useful for your major, and do volunteer/internships. Decide on what universities you want to go to after you are older, because you don't know how well you will do in Yr 12. If you breeze through secondary with great scores, maybe you'll make it to MIT! But don't get your hopes up, and look at lots of other US universities. There are plenty of options.
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Which subjects interest you?

Technology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths
Reply 9
Technology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

Sounds great! I’m sure some extension maths activities would interest you and be valuable in considering courses. You school/ maths teachers will be able to point you in the right direction.
MIT admissions people who say "apply sideways" have the desire to receive honest applications or genuine students. i would look at the LinkedIn profiles of MIT students and imitate what they did in school. i hope MIT accepts your application. :smile:
i think MIT wants a student who has self-initiative or doesn't wait to be told what to do, does more than what is expected, has great driving interests or curiosities, likes to do new things, and doesn't feel a desire to always win. a good candidate who is good at maths enjoys doing the maths. a good candidate knows who they are and started something that benefits others to come. a good candidate is comfortable with failure and can rebound quickly. they learn from anyone anywhere. good candidates take action to apply what they learn. i believe it is acceptable to be hard-working to achieve something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending