The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick CSE (computer systems engineering)

is there anyone doing computer systems engineering at Warwick? how is the course, and how competitive would you say getting into the course is?

Scroll to see replies

I see you've asked the same question again about its competitiveness. I mean if you've got the grades go for it, If you get rejected it's not the end of the world as you have four other options. Although I don't know about computer systems engineering but I've been seeing some Comp Sci rejections of people with 4 A levels at A*s ish. Although Cs/e might be a little less competitive as it's a bit less well known. At this point you probably can't change your grades but if you're considering Warwick you should already have the grades. Just make sure your personal statement is good.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Mario709010
I see you've asked the same question again about its competitiveness. I mean if you've got the grades go for it, If you get rejected it's not the end of the world as you have four other options. Although I don't know about computer systems engineering but I've been seeing some Comp Sci rejections of people with 4 A levels at A*s ish. Although Cs/e might be a little less competitive as it's a bit less well known. At this point you probably can't change your grades but if you're considering Warwick you should already have the grades. Just make sure your personal statement is good.

yeah ive just seen the rejections, scares me a little as there is no way my application is stronger than those with physics/furth maths, which is why im scared of putting down warwick twice. Thinking of just removing cs and leaving cse, but need to know if people actually like the course before i put it down. also i saw the campus in person and it was amazing so im just really hung up on warwick. something within me is saying apply for cs, cse and cyber security but ik thats just the devil talking lmfao
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lollapoalso
yeah ive just seen the rejections, scares me a little as there is no way my application is stronger than those with physics/furth maths, which is why im scared of putting down warwick twice. Thinking of just removing cs and leaving cse, but need to know if people actually like the course before i put it down. also i saw the campus in person and it was amazing so im just really hung up on warwick. something within me is saying apply for cs, cse and cyber security but ik thats just the devil talking lmfao

Good luck on finding someone to tell you how the course is. Also I mean a lot of people do the exact same A levels and stuff for CS so I mean they all blend in so you doing something else and still showing your interest might be a good thing. I don't know but don't let you push yourself down due to the rejections of everyone. You'll never know until you try and you should remember how I done the trying for Oxford and we'll see how that pays off so if you really want to go and think you potentially have a shot go for it. Also I remember reading on a thread someone saying if you get accepted into all 5 uni's you probably didn't aim high enough.
Good luck on finding someone to tell you how the course is. Also I mean a lot of people do the exact same A levels and stuff for CS so I mean they all blend in so you doing something else and still showing your interest might be a good thing. I don't know but don't let you push yourself down due to the rejections of everyone. You'll never know until you try and you should remember how I done the trying for Oxford and we'll see how that pays off so if you really want to go and think you potentially have a shot go for it. Also I remember reading on a thread someone saying if you get accepted into all 5 uni's you probably didn't aim high enough.

i saw someone on linkedin actually with the same a level subjects as me on the course, but they applied in 2021, which defo wouldve had less applicants than now. Warwick would probs be my number one, if i get in tho. say you did get offers for all, besides oxford, which one would you choose?
Too be honest I'm not too sure. Like I aimed high and I'm satisfied with any of them. I don't really have a number one even if I did get an offer as the accommodations at Oxford aren't great and they just don't have some things I'm looking for. I don't really want to stay in London so that puts Imperial College at the bottom of my list and other then that I'm not too sure. For example I've done the most research into the actual campus of Warwick and I really like how the gym looks and the heronbank Accom area. Edinburgh looks nice but the city apparently expensive. So Warwick may seem like a good choice so I do think it'll end up being between Edinburgh and Warwick.
Also it depends on which course I want to end up committing to as I have an offer for Edinburgh but it's a join course in CS and Physics for a bachelors which will take 4 years. On the other hand Warwick is 4 years for an integrated masters.
Too be honest I'm not too sure. Like I aimed high and I'm satisfied with any of them. I don't really have a number one even if I did get an offer as the accommodations at Oxford aren't great and they just don't have some things I'm looking for. I don't really want to stay in London so that puts Imperial College at the bottom of my list and other then that I'm not too sure. For example I've done the most research into the actual campus of Warwick and I really like how the gym looks and the heronbank Accom area. Edinburgh looks nice but the city apparently expensive. So Warwick may seem like a good choice so I do think it'll end up being between Edinburgh and Warwick.

fair enough tbh, warwick accom did seem great when i went to visit. I really liked the sherbourne flats, but cryfield townhouses seemed really nice and close to the campus. im from london too, and i was looking at the accom and it was so dreadful, old and expensive. I was told that places like warwick and bath have a more homey feel, as they are quite distanced from the cities and so many just stay inside the campus, rather than experience the nightlife, which is so perfect for me. So i think im gonna add bath to my list
Also it depends on which course I want to end up committing to as I have an offer for Edinburgh but it's a join course in CS and Physics for a bachelors which will take 4 years. On the other hand Warwick is 4 years for an integrated masters.

oh yeah a masters would defo be good. But for me i think id just get tired by the fourth year and just ready to get some work experience
oh yeah a masters would defo be good. But for me i think id just get tired by the fourth year and just ready to get some work experience

Yeah but that's why a lot of uni's allow for a year abroad or a work placement. I get what you mean about getting bored, it's one of the main reasons I tried going for a joint honours course when I could as I thought something practical may be fun for example my offer for Bristol is for Computer science and electronics or how Imperial has a work placement between the 3rd and 4th year for like 6 months I'm pretty sure and they say a lot of people end up going back to the company they had the placement in for work after.
I'd say it's wayy less competitive to enter;

Everyone just applies for CS these days - most people probably don't even know the CSE course exists as an alternative, and those that do probably prefer the software side more anyway...

Entry requirements are lower too so that's pretty nice. They're the joint-lowest requirements out of all 5 I applied to :wink:

Did you apply in the end?
Original post by Automata
I'd say it's wayy less competitive to enter;

Everyone just applies for CS these days - most people probably don't even know the CSE course exists as an alternative, and those that do probably prefer the software side more anyway...

Entry requirements are lower too so that's pretty nice. They're the joint-lowest requirements out of all 5 I applied to :wink:

Did you apply in the end?

omg hey, yes i did in jan !! i dont have much hope tho coz my physics gcse is abysmal. Hopefully they base it off my predicteds mostly, and i know ww cs department doesnt read personal statements. Have you gotten any decisions yet?
(edited 1 year ago)
omg hey, yes i did in jan !! i dont have much hope tho coz my physics gcse is abysmal. Hopefully they base it off my predicteds mostly, and i know ww cs department doesnt read personal statements. Have you gotten any decisions yet?

Yep, got offers from Southampton (A*AA/AAAA) and Warwick (A*AA), and a rejection from Cambridge (probs because no further maths or physics) :biggrin:

That is a little rough about the physics, but I'm sure they'd ask for physics ALevel if it were that important. Most unis with a semblance of sanity would look more at the predicteds anyway lol. Really hope you get in tho, good luck! I predict you'll get a decision within the next 2 weeks :wink:

Btw, what subjects do you do? Any decisions on your side?
Yep, got offers from Southampton (A*AA/AAAA) and Warwick (A*AA), and a rejection from Cambridge (probs because no further maths or physics) :biggrin:

That is a little rough about the physics, but I'm sure they'd ask for physics ALevel if it were that important. Most unis with a semblance of sanity would look more at the predicteds anyway lol. Really hope you get in tho, good luck! I predict you'll get a decision within the next 2 weeks :wink:

Btw, what subjects do you do? Any decisions on your side?

omg you have my dream haha, can you predict a good decision, ill take any hope i can get. i have A*A*A maths cs econ, but i applied for BEng AAA. I applied to ucl (CS) ,bristol (Cs and electronics) ,warwick, notts(electronic and computer engineering-offer),qmul (cse offer). Warwick is defo an amazing alternative to camb, pretty sure no one enjoys oxbridge . May i ask what ur gcses were? i just want to see my chances.
Yeah, I can safely say I wouldn't have liked it much at Camb; just in the application process there was soo much maths I felt like the course would just be pain haha..

I got eight 9s, and an 8 in English lang, which was kind of annoying lol. Still pretty damn good tho, so I was happy
This year unis probably won't place as much weight to GCSE results tho, with Covid and all that messing everything up, so I wouldn't worry about it too much

Congrats on the offers you already got too! UCL I think are just slow, I haven't heard anything back either, and I don't know anyone else who has as well
And of course, I predict you will obtain an offer :biggrin:
Yeah, I can safely say I wouldn't have liked it much at Camb; just in the application process there was soo much maths I felt like the course would just be pain haha..

I got eight 9s, and an 8 in English lang, which was kind of annoying lol. Still pretty damn good tho, so I was happy
This year unis probably won't place as much weight to GCSE results tho, with Covid and all that messing everything up, so I wouldn't worry about it too much

Congrats on the offers you already got too! UCL I think are just slow, I haven't heard anything back either, and I don't know anyone else who has as well
And of course, I predict you will obtain an offer :biggrin:

those grades are amazing, u were defo guaranteed an offer. I have actually seen one international rejection for ucl CS but tthats pretty much it. Which one are u planning to firm if u get offers for the rest beside camb?
Almost definitely Warwick, but I might go UCL or Southampton if I suddenly decide to do CS instead for whatever reason ig
You?
Almost definitely Warwick, but I might go UCL or Southampton if I suddenly decide to do CS instead for whatever reason ig
You?

ucl ive heard is 8% for home students. Itd be a miracle if i got in. id pick either ww, bristol or ucl if any takes me lol. Just sooooooo desperate for warwick coz i visted it and it was love at first sight. Its so annoying tho, if only i had revised more for my physics gcse mock :frown:
ucl ive heard is 8% for home students. Itd be a miracle if i got in. id pick either ww, bristol or ucl if any takes me lol. Just sooooooo desperate for warwick coz i visted it and it was love at first sight. Its so annoying tho, if only i had revised more for my physics gcse mock :frown:

I mean I can say this for Bristol at least, if you haven't been rejected yet it's probably a good thing. I have one friend who applied for pure computing and their grades were worse than yours and he got rejected a couple weeks after applying (Also you're the first other person on this website to have applied for Computer science and Engineering at Bristol). He applied a little bit before the deadline in January. Although it stated the reasoning was that they ran out of space but if you're still in the running it probably just means they're considering you. Also with Warwick everyone always says they take forever to do their batches as I know they did one in October and one in January right around deadline time for Cs and I assume they do cse at the same time so it looks like they're going to take their time to do it so don't stress. Also I've always heard your gcse grades don't really matter unless you're going to Oxbridge so your fine.

Wow that's low.. must be a lot of applicants so ig it's no wonder they're slow haha
Warwick I hear is very nice, but I haven't actually been to Warwick yet since it's quite far from where I live. I'll be going to an offer-holder event next month tho,
Hopefully I'll see you there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest