The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Student Cards...

Had a look around and didn't see the answer to this here. My question regards the fact that now I'm almost finished my first year, will my university issued ID (NUS/library/computer room access) card be valid for next year or will I need to get another one? Considering the hassle I had getting the first one. It doesn't show an expiry date, just the year I started my course.
Reply 1
Nah, it'll be valid until you graduate. The reason there's no expiry date is so that they don't have to replace it if your graduation date changes for whatever reason.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's annoying that it doesn't have an expiry date. I've had some places not accept it as student ID because there's no expiry. Anyone else had the same problem?
Yep, I've had the problem that mine started in 2004 and I'm on a four year course, hence the people don't believe me when I say I'm still a student because apparently all degrees are 3 years. They've said that you need a start date of 2005 or later in order to be able to use it (this was at the cinema, other places might be the same), which is pretty gay.
I've never not gotten a deal because of the lack of expiry date... however, that must be really annoying to be on a four year degree (and have the same card you started with) without the expiry. Lame.
Worst bit is I have my old student card from before I switched to a four year course, but naturally it says 2004-2007, which is of no use.

I think a lot of places areonly taking NUS extra now anyway, and the student card I have doesn't even have the NUS logo on it either so it's pretty much worthless except for printing/going the library...woohooo.
A lot of places just accept mine because it says NUS on it even though it's not an NUS card...
Reply 7
Lady Leviathan
A lot of places just accept mine because it says NUS on it even though it's not an NUS card...

it is an NUS card - the SU pays something ridiculous like £40,000 per annum to the NUS so that all members of the SU are automatically members of the NUS. NUS extra was just a cheap trick to con people out of a tenner. When they first brought out the blue cards (2006-07 I think) the uni forgot to put the NUS logo on, as well as the nightline number on the back and stuff. Unfortunately this was the same time that NUS extra was brought out, so a lot of people assumed they had to pay for it. Obviously the SU complained about this, so on the new cards (2007-08 onwards) the NUS logo is on there, and I think the nightline number is on the back again.
Ah, okay.

I was thinking about getting an NUS card but a friend said that it's a waste as she gets good discounts with her uni card anyways. I have an ISIC card which has proved useful traveling back and forth from the US to the UK (and other places).

It's weird that the university advertises the NUS card, though, if it's not even needed. There are posters for it in the Portland Building and I distinctly remember getting a bunch of information about it when I accepted by offer at the uni last year.

I'm pleased that I didn't waste money on an NUS card, then!

Latest

Trending

Trending