The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TirnanF
Thinking of doing Maths and Further Maths at A-level. We have to study Further Maths at the same time as the normal Maths, can anybody tell me if there are any disadvantages to this, or even advantages?

I always thought that was the conventional way of doing it. Not sure if I'd fancy doing C3 and FP3 at the same time mind..
Reply 4001
Original post by Jooooshy
I always thought that was the conventional way of doing it. Not sure if I'd fancy doing C3 and FP3 at the same time mind..

Most people on here I've noticed have done maths, or most of if, before they start further, but maybe I'm mistaken
Original post by TirnanF
Most people on here I've noticed have done maths, or most of if, before they start further, but maybe I'm mistaken

I'm not sure you'll be at a disadvantage doing AS M and FM at the same time. Gives you all summer to look ahead :smile:
Does anyone know if there is a revision thread for C3/C4/M1 A Level Maths, and could you pleeeeease link me to it!
Reply 4004
In C2 MATHEMATICS IN LOGARITHMS AND EXPONENTIALS,

a) in 3F exercise,
the question is

Solve giving answer to 3 significant figures
log x + log x = 2
2 4

How to solve this? Can u show the steps?

Another question is in 3G
given that p= log 16, express in terms of p.
q

i) log 2 (ii) log (8q)
q q

Pls help. I am private student. Therefore i need to ask doubts ,where i found ur profile helpful to clear my doubts. All these questions are from logarithms and exponentials.

thank u
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kers123

a) in 3F exercise,
the question is

log x + log x = 2
2 4

q

i) log 2 (ii) log (8q)
q q

Pls help. Sir and please add me on your friends contacts. I am private student. Therefore i need to ask doubts ,where i found ur profile helpful to clear my doubts. All these questions are from logarithms and exponentials.

thank u

Hi! I'd like to help but I don't understand the way you've written the question??? Maybe I can take a pic of it and upload it? Or retype it more clearly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4006
Did anyone else see Numberphile's recent video on the AKS test? The paper makes an interesting read if you haven't seen it already, had no clue we had tests like these available http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/users/manindra/algebra/primality_v6.pdf
Reply 4007
Original post by mmms95
Hi! I'd like to help but I don't understand the way you've written the question??? Maybe I can take a pic of it and upload it? Or retype it more clearly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Shall retype edit it
Reply 4008

a) in 3F exercise,
the question is

log x + log x = 2
2 4

q

i) log 2 (ii) log (8q)
q q

Pls help. i need to ask doubts . All these questions are from logarithms and exponentials.

thank u
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4009
I tried editing. but it doesnt.
the second lines with alphabets and numbers after the logs in the questions is the base as u know the maths. just space the two things into each question.
yea if u can retype it. better.thanks alot
Edexcel Fp2 and Fp3, which one do you find the most difficult. If you could only choose either one to study (self study) which one would you pick? [assuming that edexcel fp2 and fp3 is not linked together right? you don't need to have the knowledge of fp2 to do fp3]
Hey there I'm new to this thread! I'm doing Maths and F.Maths on OCR MEI and more specifically C1,C2,S1,D1 and M1 :biggrin:

Somebody give me a question! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4012
Original post by Leechayy
Hey there I'm new to this thread! I'm doing Maths and F.Maths on OCR MEI and more specifically C1,C2,S1,D1 and M1 :biggrin:

Somebody give me a question! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eugh. I'm so jealous of MEI FP3.
Original post by alow
Eugh. I'm so jealous of MEI FP3.

Lol why?
I haven't even done FP3 :tongue:
Reply 4014
Original post by Leechayy
Lol why?
I haven't even done FP3 :tongue:

Look at the specification. Markov chains, differentia geoemtry, groups & fields!
Original post by alow
Look at the specification. Markov chains, differentia geoemtry, groups & fields!

Ooooooooooooooooooo :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4016
Hi,

I am trying to find the area under (y+1)=x^[(1/x)^(y+1)] between x=1 and x=infinity. I am not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Many thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4017
Original post by mmms95
Is this a level maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it is beyond that. I just asked the question for interest actually.
Reply 4018
Anyone recommend a particular graphing calculator for C2/FP1? (CCEA)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4019
Original post by ehhwot
Anyone recommend a particular graphing calculator for C2/FP1? (CCEA)

Posted from TSR Mobile

None for C2/FP1.

Quick Reply

Latest