The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

J.F.N
I see what you're saying, but that is counter-intuitive. I can provide a proof to show that L is not surjective.

can i see this proof ?
Reply 121
evariste
can i see this proof ?

L:X-->F(X)

Let us assume that all a in X goes to A in F(X). That is, L(a)=A. The key is to construct a set in which a is in X but a is not in L(a). Let this set be Y={a in X | {a} intersect L(a) = 0}. Obviously, Y is a subset of X. Hence, Y is an element of F(X) (recall that the elements of F(X) are sets themselves). If the map was a surjection, then there must be an element y in F(X) such that L(y)=Y. Assume that this element y is in Y. Y has the elements that are not in its associated set, hence y is not in L(y)=Y... contradiction. (Take a moment to see why this is true.. here's an example: if X=(1,2), then F(X)={0,{1},{2},{1,2}}. If, WLOG, 1 goes to {2} and 2 goes to {1,2}, then 1 is not in our set Y, but 2 is.} On the other hand, assume y is not in Y. But Y contains all the elements that are not in its associated set.. so Y contains y! Contradiction again. This means that L is not a surjection. Again, this makes intuitive sense aplenty: no surjection, and hence no bijection, and hence F(X) has larger cardinality than X.
Cantor was a very clever man :smile:
for any set X define the map X->P(X) by x in X maps to a set containing x in P(x)
ie x maps to {x}.
this is required injection.
Reply 123
Indeed. :smile: I'm glad we got that cleared up.
Reply 124
Here's an interesting question I got on my math exam yesterday.
The general linear group, GL_n, is defined as follows:
GL_n(F)={A in M_n(F) s.t. A is invertible}
(If the notation is unclear, F is our field, M_n(F) is the set of matrices with nxn entries in F, and A invertible --> ad-bc=/=0.)
If F=Z/pZ, what is |GL_n(Z/pZ)| for n=1,2,3? I only managed to do n=1,2 during the exam, and did n=3 afterwards. If you need a hint, let me know. Enjoy :smile:.
J.F.N
Here's an interesting question I got on my math exam yesterday.
The general linear group, GL_n, is defined as follows:
GL_n(F)={A in M_n(F) s.t. A is invertible}
(If the notation is unclear, F is our field, M_n(F) is the set of matrices with nxn entries in F, and A invertible --> ad-bc=/=0.)
If F=Z/pZ, what is |GL_n(Z/pZ)| for n=1,2,3? I only managed to do n=1,2 during the exam, and did n=3 afterwards. If you need a hint, let me know. Enjoy :smile:.

for any n,p
GL_n(F_(p)) has (p^n-1)(p^n-p)(p^n-p^2)....(p^n-p^(n-1)) elements.
this is seen by considering the columns. in the first column we can have any of the combinations of the p elements except 0. for the second we exclude any multiple of the first column,etc,etc.
Reply 126
evariste
for any n,p
GL_n(F_(p)) has (p^n-1)(p^n-p)(p^n-p^2)....(p^n-p^(n-1)) elements.
this is seen by considering the columns. in the first column we can have any of the combinations of the p elements except 0. for the second we exclude any multiple of the first column,etc,etc.

Wow. Nice work.
Reply 127
(2) Find all polynomials P(x) which satisfy the equality: P(a-b) + P(b-c) + P(c-a) = 2P(a+b+c) for all real numbers such that ab+bc+ca=0.

Solution:

Set a=b=c=0

P(0) + P(0) + P(0) + 2.P(0)

==> P(0) = 0

Polynomial is of form: a_1.x + a_2.x^2 + .... + a_n.x^n

Set b=c=0:

P(a) + P(0) + P(-a) = 2.P(a)

Now P(0) = 0

==> P(a) + P(-a) = 2.P(a)

==> P(-a) = P(a)

Hence our function is even of form:

a_1.x^2 + .... + a_n.x^n

Let the highest power of our polynomial be n:

Set a=6, b=3, c=-2

P(3) + P(5) +P(-8) = 2.P(7)

==> P(3) + P(5) +P(8) = 2.P(7)

match values of power n:

3^n + 5^n + 8^n = 2.7^n

n=2 and n=4 works.

Claim: 3^n + 5^n + 8^n > 2.7^n for all n>5 (n is even)

Proof: 3^n + 5^n + 8^n > 8^n

Therefore, it suffices to show: 8^n > 2.7^n

For n=6 : 8^6 > 2.7^6 is true

Assume true for n=k

==> 8^k > 2.7^k
==> 8.8^k > 8.2.7^k
==> 8^k+1 > 16.7^k
==> 8^k+1 > 16.7^k > 14.7^k
==> 8^k+1 > 14.7^k
==> 8^k+1 > 2.7.7^k
==> 8^k+1 > 2.7^k+1

Hence true for all n>5.

Therefore the highest power of our polynomial is 4 and is of form:

a.x^2 + b.x^4 , where a,b are real scalar coefficients
[Check that this works by direct substitution]

Hence infinitely many polynomials of form a.x^2 + b.x^4 satisfy the given condition.

NB: This is somewhat shabby proof, but gets the picture across. A more rigorous proof involves the use of vector spaces.
Reply 128
Euler
(3) If X is an infinite set and F(X) is the set of finite subsets of X, is there an injection from F(X) to X?

J.F.N
L:X-->F(X)
Let us assume that all a in X goes to A in F(X). That is, L(a)=A. The key is to construct a set in which a is in X but a is not in L(a). Let this set be Y={a in X | {a} intersect L(a) = 0}. Obviously, Y is a subset of X. Hence, Y is an element of F(X) (recall that the elements of F(X) are sets themselves). If the map was a surjection, then there must be an element y in F(X) such that L(y)=Y. Assume that this element y is in Y. Y has the elements that are not in its associated set, hence y is not in L(y)=Y... contradiction. (Take a moment to see why this is true.. here's an example: if X=(1,2), then F(X)={0,{1},{2},{1,2}}. If, WLOG, 1 goes to {2} and 2 goes to {1,2}, then 1 is not in our set Y, but 2 is.} On the other hand, assume y is not in Y. But Y contains all the elements that are not in its associated set.. so Y contains y! Contradiction again. This means that L is not a surjection. Again, this makes intuitive sense aplenty: no surjection, and hence no bijection, and hence F(X) has larger cardinality than X.

I feel that a correction to this is due. What I missed in Euler's question was that F(X) is the set of finite subsets of X. My proof of the lack of a surjection is for the power set of X, i.e. the set of all subsets, not only the finite ones. There is, in fact, an injection and a surjection between X and the set of finite subsets of X. It's easy to find this surjection from naturals to finite subsets of naturals -- first you order all the size-zero subsets of naturals, then you order all the size-one subsets, then all the size-two subsets, and so on. And the set of size-N subsets of natural numbers is countable for any N, using any sort of "diagonal" counting method.
Reply 129
i am not good at maths, but i'm quite interested in pure maths and stats, gonna apply to MORSE at warwick, so quite mathy course :biggrin: can i join the maths soc please? thank you :biggrin:
Reply 130
Question (1)
A cosmonaut is walking in space next to a space station orbitting the Earth. She throws the lens cap of her movie camera directly towards the Earth. Where does it go? Justify your answer.

If you argue that the cosmonaut is moving at around 25000 mph (Orbital velocity - Kepler's 3rd law) in an elliptical orbit with the centre of the earth at one focus of the ellipse, then you can evidently say that the velocity that could be given to the lens cap is so small relatively that it will move in a slightly different elliptical orbit around the earth.

Galois.
Reply 131
Wow so many Mathmos here! - hehe cute mathmo collection :smile: LOL! Sorry :redface:

And...

Wow you guys speak a different language!!!!! x^2y*^3x whatever... :p:

Sorry... just can't do maths to save my life, don't like maths cus I can't do it, but like theoretical physics so I like bits of maths lol but can't understand it... so all in all I'm always impressed by people who are good at maths :biggrin:
Reply 132
Interesting number theory problem... Some of you will solve this in days/weeks... for others, it will take a term of your life! :smile: I'll rep the first person to solve it, if thats encouragement. Let m,n be positive integers.
Prove that (m+n)!/(m+n)^(m+n) < m!.n!/(m^m).(n^n)
Reply 133
J.F.N
Interesting number theory problem... Some of you will solve this in days/weeks... for others, it will take a term of your life! :smile: I'll rep the first person to solve it, if thats encouragement. Let m,n be positive integers.

Prove by contradiction so assume its not true i.e.

(m+n)!/(m+n)^(m+n) > m!.n!/(m^m).(n^n)
==> (m+n)!.(m^m).(n^n) > m!.n!.(m+n)^(m+n)
==> WLOG let m>=n
==> 1....n...m.(m+1)...(m+n).(m^m).(n^n) > m!.n!.(m+n)^(m+n)
==> (m!).(m+1)...(m+n).(m^m).(n^n) > m!.n!.(m+n)^(m+n)
==> (m+1)...(m+n).(m^m).(n^n) > n!.(m+n)^(m+n)
==> (m+1)...(m+n).(m^m).(n^n) > n!.(m+n)^m.(m+n)^n

We know that:

(m+1)....(m+n) < (m+n)^n

hence if we show:

(m^m).(n^n) < n!.(m+n)^m

we are done. Assume its not true:

(m^m).(n^n) > n!.(m+n)^m

and derive a contradiction, then we are done.

Thats the part im having trouble proving...
Reply 134
J.F.N
Let m,n be positive integers.

If you rearrange this as the inequality

(m+n)!/(m!n!) m^m n^n < (m+n)^(m+n)

and consider the binomial expansion of the RHS then you see the term where you choose m ms and n ns is precisely what's on the LHS. As there are (m+n) other positive terms in the expansion of the RHS then its clearly greater than that one particular term.
Reply 135
RichE
If you rearrange this as the inequality

(m+n)!/(m!n!) m^m n^n < (m+n)^(m+n)

and consider the binomial expansion of the RHS then you see the term where you choose m ms and n ns is precisely what's on the LHS. As there are (m+n) other positive terms in the expansion of the RHS then its clearly greater than that one particular term.

I repped you, but I'd like to mention again how clever this is! Simple tools but great consequences. You're a great mathematician!
Reply 136
J.F.N
... Some of you will solve this in days/weeks... for others, it will take a term of your life!

...Quoting Nash are we? :rolleyes:

Galois.
Reply 137
Galois
...Quoting Nash are we? :rolleyes:

Galois.

Nope, not quoting him. It was an almost unconscious reference to the movie I've watched several years ago. A good observation, though. :smile:
Reply 138
J.F.N
Nope, not quoting him. It was an almost unconscious reference to the movie I've watched several years ago. A good observation, though. :smile:

A Beautiful Mind... :rolleyes:
Reply 139
Here is the question:
Let a1, a2, a3...an.. are terms of Fibonnacci sequences.
a1 = 1, a2 = 1, a(n+2) = a(n+1) + an.
Find Sum of [an/4^(n+1)], n= 1 -> infinite.

Quick Reply

Latest