The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you think it's alright to mention helping out with Christmas sales for a friend's mum's shop? I had to talk to customers quite abit :p: (inter-personal skills, etc.)
Rightyho, Starting my Nursing Home work experience next week, once that is complete I need to ask the Practice Manager to sign a "letter."

The reason I say this is because when I did work experience last time at Y10, we had to give our employer a paper which they had to fill in about "popularity, maturity etc. about me."

Where can i get this from, last time I got it from my School, but now I have left it...

Please QUOTE me, so I can see you REPLY. Thanks.
Tally_16
Rightyho, Starting my Nursing Home work experience next week, once that is complete I need to ask the Practice Manager to sign a "letter."

The reason I say this is because when I did work experience last time at Y10, we had to give our employer a paper which they had to fill in about "popularity, maturity etc. about me."

Where can i get this from, last time I got it from my School, but now I have left it...

Please QUOTE me, so I can see you REPLY. Thanks.

If you still have the one from Year 10 you could just copy out the structure of it on Word and print a blank one off?
Hygeia
I imagine that would be fine.

Thanks! I dont want it to look a if I made up some non-existent experience :p:
Reply 1384
I am about to do a week worth of work experience with my local hospital next week. So I was wondering what should you wear for doing work experience in a hospital.

Any help would be appreciated.:yep:
shirt, sleeves rolled up, black pants, black shoes
sorted.
Best to post in the already existing work experience thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666&page=71

But I'm guessing one of the mods will move this soon, so I'll try answer anyway :p:

You should probably wear a smart-looking shirt and some proper slacks. About the shirt - some hospitals have a "bare below the elbow" rule meaning long sleeves would have to be rolled up. No jeans obviously, and try to wear smart casual shoes :yep: You can wear a tie if you want but again some hospitals have different policies regarding that.

If anything, it's always better to be over-dressed rather than under-dressed :yep: Especially on your first day, and then after that you can just have a look at how the doctors normally dress and just follow suit! :biggrin:
scaryhair
If you still have the one from Year 10 you could just copy out the structure of it on Word and print a blank one off?

Hehe simple solution, will do this. Thanks very much. I might do this or ask the employer to write a paragraph.

Mind you, this may be better as it is concise and easy for an interviewer to look at. Thaankk yoou!
order some scrubs online.
scaryhair
First off, like all good things in life, in work experience quality > quantity.

There are tons of places that you could try for work experience or voluntary work: St Johns Ambulance, local GPs, care homes, special schools, summer camps for disabled children, Vitalise, pharmacies, WRVS Meals on Wheels Service...just because you can't get work experience right now at a hospital doesn't mean you should give up on work experience and Medicine altogether!
Plus, you could always contact the hospital to see whether they would take you on over Christmas or the October half term and then you can write about planned experience on your Personal Statement. Or contact the voluntary services department in the hospital, see if they have anything you could do. And you're not that far from London if you live near Ealing hospital, so why not try those hospitals?

Thanks a lot for the advice. By the way are you allowed to do work experience after you have submitted your application to UCAS ? I though you need some work experience beforehand to write about in your personal statement.
AndroidHQ
Thanks a lot for the advice. By the way are you allowed to do work experience after you have submitted your application to UCAS ? I though you need some work experience beforehand to write about in your personal statement.

Ideally you would have it before doing UCAS so you could talk about what you have learnt in your Personal Statement. However, most medical schools understand that work experience in hopsitals is quite difficult to come by, and it'd be better to have a line in your PS stating that you plan to do a placement in X speciality during October/Christmas and hope to learn Y from it, than have nothing at all.
Reply 1391
i wore jeans and a black shirt
Suit.

The tie is very important, you might get a moan about infection control but people prefer you made the effort. If you are told not to wear said tie return with ridiculous cravat or bow tie.
Reply 1393
When I went on mine I wore trousers and a short-sleeved shirt, with a tie (best to look like your grateful for the opportunity :wink:, which you obviously are.... I hope!)
Reply 1394
do you need to wear a jacket as I wear one to go to school anyway...
DR_X
do you need to wear a jacket as I wear one to go to school anyway...

No need to wear a suit, you are not a consultant. As others have said, shirt, tie, tailored style trousers.
Reply 1396
so does that mean no jacket then....
Reply 1397
should I take a pen and notebook with me to make notes or its it unneccesary.....
DR_X
should I take a pen and notebook with me to make notes or its it unneccesary.....

This post was on the previous page...
scaryhair

Don't bother taking notes whilst with the patient - maybe take a notebook to jot down some things you found particularly interesting or that affected you. Personally I wrote a little diary entry every night when I got home, detailing what I did in the day, what I learnt, and the positives and negatives of the day. I really recommend that you do something similar during work experience as it really helps to refresh your memory when it comes to writing your Personal Statement and in interviews.
Well, this is the only week I'm going to have in a hospital/medical enviroment and want to get the most out of it.

Is there any particular thing I should be doing besides asking questions? I've already learnt loads but when I think about it seems to be more knowledge type stuff, rather than things I could write about in my personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending