The Student Room Group

CJ's Huel blog (7 days of consuming nothing else... can the idiot do it?)

Yep, that idiot would be me.

As per the usual, the end of the Christmas/New Year period has taken it's toll. After plenty of face stuffing, the jeans are ever so slightly tighter and it's time to get back on the diet/exercise regime.

So for one week only I'm going full Huel. Half to see the impact, half challenge.

What is Huel?

If you're not aware, simply put Huel is a complete meal replacement that contains all the "ideal amounts of 26 essential vitamins and minerals", along with a good protein/carb/fats ratio for a balanced diet. It's not just a protein shake (worth a Google).

Why, but why...

First things first, I'm not a stranger to Huel. For about a month before Christmas it was my breakfast/lunchtime meal replacement. It's so convenient at work, works out nice and cheap per meal and, actually, I quite like it (I know it's not exactly a burger, but hey).

Along with that, it's really easy to work out your calorie intake (around 150 cals per scoop) and I don't have to worry about the nutritional breakdown as it's nice and balanced. So dead easy to work out what I need and guarantee a realistic deficit.

Here I'll be blogging about the ups, downs, the moans and groans.

Let's see how we go!
Also let me know if you're following so it's a little less talking to myself! or if you've ever used Huel I'd love to hear what you thought.

Lastly on this first post, if you're at all interested in giving Huel a go, here's my referal code (you get £10 off, I get £10 off): https://huel.mention-me.com/m/ol/kw2op-32f735a123
FYI workouts are still to be determined, but usually look like 2-3 gym sessions during the week and a run at the weekend. Extra shake on those days to make sure my deficit isn't unhealthy.

I did my first marathon back in October, but have let myself go a bit since so shorter distances for cardio and more weight training expected.

Update so far today... turned down free mince pies and Galaxy selection box. What the hell have I become...
Feeling hungry is a feeling I haven't had for a good couple of weeks, but here it is. Welcome back.

Currently chugging my 'lunch shake'. Absolutely living the dream!
Day 1 - complete.

Not as bad in the end. Just after lunchtime I was getting a bit light headed, despite taking on a good amount of calories... just adjusting I guess.

Supplementing with coffee, tea and zero calorie fizzy drink in the evening seemed to sort me out though. Some ratings from yesterday....

Energy: 8/10 - slight wobble but otherwise energised.
Craving for real food: 4/10 - in the evening the smell of wedges was amazing, but otherwise ok.
Will to quit: 2/10 - nah, doing fine.

Onto day 2! The gym will be interesting...
(edited 5 years ago)
Go @CJ! I’m also doing meal replacements for breakfast and lunch, have been doing so for a while and you really do get used to it :smile: good luck!
Day 2 - complete

Well the gym was interesting. I started a leisurely run on the treadmill, and felt great... I think Huel is my answer to pre-gym fuel, I feel strong... yeah, really good....

Oh wait. Hang on.

3.5km in and the energy drained away pretty rapidly. Oh dear, nevermind.

Otherwise it was a bit more of a struggle yesterday, mainly because we did our 'big shop' and I had to pick up tonnes of yummy food I'm not able to eat. Sadface.
There was a bit of "why the hell am I doing this" before I remembered I'm a mis-guided fool and I need to stick with it "just because".

Oddly I feel much less hungry / in need of another shake in the evening.

Energy: 6/10 - Lacking in the gym, but otherwise alright.
Craving for real food: 8/10 - Just one little cocktail sausage... plllleeeeeeaaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. NO!
Will to quit: 5/10 - The force is strong in this one.

Also just for reference, I did weigh myself on day 1, so will check back at the same time of day on day 7 to see the effect.

Day 3 here we go!
Well done Mr CJ :congrats:

I hope you did manage to continue with your days.:redface:
Reply 6
I have just done 5 whole days having Feed. meals. It's been pretty good actually. I have used Huel for a long time but I was keen to try something a bit different.

Quick Reply

Latest