The Student Room Group

Irish Leaving cert/ A levels

__
https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/alevel.ezc

From the look of it, at the table at the bottom, no (three As at A-Level get you 450, 1 A at AS gets you 75). Doesn't mention anywhere on the site about GCSE grades, so i would assume they don't count, beyond meeting the other requirements (i'm no expert though).

I know its a rather obvious response, but the best thing to do is to contact the university, and ask them.
No, only your A-Levels would count. Trinity is the only university here to do a fair A-Level/Leaving Cert conversion, though I'm fairly sure the others do point conversion also. Matriculation requirements are minimum entry requirements..for example, EVERYBODY needs maths, english and (in most courses) a foreign language, and all Irish students need Irish as well.

Courses that are over 510 are difficult for A-Level students to get into. This is because A-Level grades are much more vague than ours, and AAAA is worth the equivalent in CAO points of anything from 510-600, so for example, it would be really scabby if you actually had 520, and got the place ahead of an Irish student with 560.
Yes..but in the Leaving Cert, everyone does 7 subjects, sometimes more. Granted, not as in depth...but still, you should need 4 A-Levels for courses that are 520 points+. If you really wanted to go to a uni in Ireland, could you not take a subject outside school and be examined in it? People do that here. A minority of uni courses here are over 500 points, but they're the ones that are most in demand. The OP would have absolutely no problem doing a course that's 410 with 3 A-Levels.
Reply 4
maloreygorey
sorry if this thread is in the wrong place :confused:

ive applied to uni in ireland (UCD) for vet med and a few other courses as well. I already have an offer for nottingham, but would prefer to go to dublin if i got an offer.

ive spent absolutely ages looking on websites to try and find out how many point i would get for my a-levels - but from what i can gather matriculation requirements only means minimum requirements?

also it seems to depend on the university as to how many points you get for each a level and im also not sure if you use your GCSE grades to get points as well.

by the way, im predicated AAA at A level in the sciences, have an A in AS maths, and a few A*s etc at GCSE

I know i need at least 550 points, are my grades enough?

sorry for the long post, any help much appreciated

You definitely should contact the uni because there seems to be provision for AS levels to be taken into account (if taken the year before and in a dif subject) and I don't see anything about General Studies - may or may not count? However vet med is EXTREMELY competitive so I would say there might be an element of random selection even if you do have enough points to get over the threshold...
Reply 5
hey!! i did my leaving cert last year,i got 400 pts! anyway 550 pts would be like 6A1s and an A2 as 7 subjects are used for pts. 100pts -A1 90pts-A2 But I don't think this would apply for A levels ,because you can't convert this..If your predicted AAA then that should be enough to get in as you couldn't really get much better,so that would convert to 600pts,which is the maximum you can get! UCD points are really high,particularly for Vet. science! Try Cork,or NUIG in Galway:biggrin: oH and you can't use GCSE'S for points,as thats the same as the JuniorCert In ireland,which isn't used for Points.The reason that determines the number of points you need for a particular course is the amount of applicants the previous year,so if there were a load of applicants the points are higher ,so if you get that number of points you are practically gaurenteed a place,unless it's for Trinity which hold interviews also!:smile:
Trinity don't hold interviews...6 subjects are used for points, you can convert A-Levels..AAA is nowhere near 600. 550 would actualy be about 3 A1's, an A2 and a B1/2 ish.
Reply 7
StarsAreFixed
Trinity don't hold interviews...6 subjects are used for points, you can convert A-Levels..AAA is nowhere near 600. 550 would actualy be about 3 A1's, an A2 and a B1/2 ish.

no 55O is 5A1's and an A2.Trinty do hold interviews,and no you can't directly convert.
Reply 8
Nana_Julia
No it isn't, and no AAA won't get you into anything at Trinity. 3 As= 450 points maximum. And no, Trinity do not hold interviews for undergrad (except for courses such as drama, where the interview forms part of the assessment to get in).

You said yourself (rightly) that an A1 is 100 points and an A2 is 90 points, so how do you make 550 out of 5A1s and an A2? 550 is 5A1s and a D2, all at higher level.

how do you mean AAA won't get you into anything at trinity? so your saying people who sat A levels ca't go to trinity??well i'm not an expert ,it's been nearly a year since i did my Leaving cert:redface:
Reply 9
i'm not contradicting the poeple who do,because if you think you can convert A level grades directly to points in the irish system then you don't know what your talking about,it's not as simple as saying '3A levels are worth 450 points max' because you can't directly convert,they are two completely different systems,it's a bit more complicated than that i'm afraid.
A level grades are converted, how else could UK students study here. 5 A1's and an A2 is 590 by the way. I'm in Trinity, there are no interviews for places other than Drama for undergrads. An A is worth 150 points, that's how 3 are worth 450, almost all of the courses UK students would want here are the competitive ones..all over 500, which is why 3 A-Levels aren't enough.
whatever
sometimes it's the only way
I had to do 4 A levels to get into Trinity. Thankully I knew before I dropped any for A2s. I know Trinity (although I have no idea about UCD) get loads of applications from the UK and do try and favour the Irish applicants. Hence many UK students with 4As at A2 or 3As and a B get rejected from the top courses.

Do you have a second As that you took up during second year? if so that should count towards points. You get 60 for an A at As. So 3A's at A2 and 2A's in your As exams would give you 570 which should be enough. Good luck
They are not 'favouring' Irish applicants. It's an Irish university, Irish undergrads apply using a completely fair and anonymous system, with no contact with the uni in question. Every course has places reserved for international applicants, obviously the vast majority of any course would be filled by Irish applicants, so there are more places available for them.
Reply 15
Don't be such a gee-bag 'stars are fixed'. I went to Trinity after doing my A-levels. They convert nicely into points. I don't know what the official conversion rate is but if you get three As you can enter the lottery along with anyone else. There aren't any courses that are out of the reach of people who get three A's at A-levels. I know northerners and English people who did History and Politics, Psychology, Medicine and Law in Trinity by getting either 2 As and a B or 3 As and that was when those courses were the hardest to get into. As for this high horse you seem to be on about leaving cert, get a grip man - they're bloody exams and patriotism has no place in exams. Besides, only a joker would have some bizarre pride in the exam system they're doing. Speaking from experience there was little difference between northerners and southerners in terms of brightness or results at uni. Those who worked and wanted to do well did well. The others didn't. The main difference, if there was one, was that the northerners tended to be a little older at the start of college and that made a difference in some things (not much academically unfortunately). You do say one good things though = if you want advice ask the CAO because I think their advice would be a lot better than your rants. :sigh:
hey who negative repped me!!!!!
Reply 17
To end all debate just look at the official page- an A* A-level(GCE)Equates to 185 points and so on so a normal student who studies 3 A levels can get AA*A* and get over 520 points and even lower if studying maths and further mathshttps://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/admission-requirements/undergraduate/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending