The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering BEng vs Chemistry BSc

Could somebody informed on both degrees compare the two? I love chemistry, PURE math and Physics. Please help me figure out which would be better for me
Reply 1
Original post by PotatoTheCelery
Could somebody informed on both degrees compare the two? I love chemistry, PURE math and Physics. Please help me figure out which would be better for me

There's not much chemistry in chemical engineering.

Also engineering is APPLIED not pure maths.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Hi! I'm a chemical engineering student at the University of Bath and I was in the same position as you when choosing my degree options.

As Doonesbury said, there's not much chemistry in chemical engineering and we do not study much pure maths.

In first year, we are taught the basics of chemistry, biology and physics to bring everyone up to speed as everyone took different A-levels (or equivalents). We go a little beyond A-level in this but not much. Physical chemistry (mostly thermodynamics) underpins a large proportion of engineering, but this is probably more like the thermodynamics you studied in physics combined with some of physical chemistry.

In terms of maths, we have lectures from the maths department nearly all years, with first year covering what tends to be covered in A-level maths and further maths. Differentiation, integration and differential equations are a fundamental part of every part of engineering and we study differential equation solving in depth (including MATLAB). I am a second year student and I know that I study further maths next semester and next year, but I am unsure exactly what that entails. I enjoy this level of maths - I get to do all of the things I enjoyed at A-level without going too far into the abstract and very theoretical maths that is taught in a maths degree.

The fundamentals of chemical engineering that we study are separation processes, mass and energy balances, fluid mechanics, reaction engineering and process control. We also have undergraduate labs and design projects. Chemical engineering cannot really be compared to something you have studied in school, whereas a chemistry degree will be what you studied at A-level, obviously taken much further. If you enjoy maths, an engineering degree will have more maths content than a chemistry degree.

At Bath, we offer a natural sciences degree which lets you pick modules from a choice of science and some maths. If chemistry, physics and maths are things you are interested and you want to study the theoretical side rather than engineering applications, definitely something to take a look at.

If you have any more questions, do let me know :smile:

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
to Leah (from University of Bath)

thank you for the input.
I've taken Pure Maths at A Levels; the C1, C2, C3, C4 (Core maths), FP1 & FP2 (Further Pure) units. We got to grapple with 1st and 2nd order differential equations in FP2 (excluding the very simple stuff in the core maths c4 unit), and I wanted to know if such stuff gives a significant head start in 1st year.
Also, does Applied maths mean statistics, mechanics, or what would it mean? If not these, what would it mean? I received the message that calculus is unimaginably important, so I'll brush up those skills.
Could you explain how the stuff a chemical engineer applies does that is so different from the theoretical stuff in pure sciences?
(to Doonesbury)

thank you.

at a levels, i'd understood pure maths to be complex numbers, basic calculus, conics, differential calculus (only 1st and 2nd order ODEs), Taylor and Maclaurin expansions, 2-dimensional Coordinate Geometry etc.

I get the feeling all of this is basics for applied maths so pls understand i meant this stuff, not pure pure maths (for instance, higher dimensional maths) and all that woozy unintelligible abstract "kaputz" stuff.

If its more advanced stuff of the first kind i'd like to have more than a plateful of that; pls clarify within my context what applied maths would mean. Pls also clarify if chemical engineering has a lot of mechanics in it (excluding fluid dynamics) coz that's the part of math i haven't really wrapped my head around.
Reply 5
(to Doonesbury)

thank you.

at a levels, i'd understood pure maths to be complex numbers, basic calculus, conics, differential calculus (only 1st and 2nd order ODEs), Taylor and Maclaurin expansions, 2-dimensional Coordinate Geometry etc.

I get the feeling all of this is basics for applied maths so pls understand i meant this stuff, not pure pure maths (for instance, higher dimensional maths) and all that woozy unintelligible abstract "kaputz" stuff.

If its more advanced stuff of the first kind i'd like to have more than a plateful of that; pls clarify within my context what applied maths would mean. Pls also clarify if chemical engineering has a lot of mechanics in it (excluding fluid dynamics) coz that's the part of math i haven't really wrapped my head around.

Have you looked at the detailed modules in a ChemEng course? I'm not an engineer so can't comment on the specifics - you need to check it yourself.
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/chemical-engineering/courses/undergraduate/course-details/modules/

PS. Please use the reply feature so the poster you are talking to gets a notification when you do so :smile:
Please help me figure out which would be better for me

'Better' would be the course that provides the best grounding and prospects for your future career. What do you want to do?
Original post by Duncan2012
'Better' would be the course that provides the best grounding and prospects for your future career. What do you want to do?

tbh not much to go on. I want a course (THEREFORE CAREER) with a lot of mental challenges (sciences and maths), something that will solve social and environmental issues, something with a lot of money (obviously), whether earlier in my career or later (as would be the case for Chem Eng), and something that i feel happy doing; maths and chem are among the worldly things that make me happy.
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you looked at the detailed modules in a ChemEng course? I'm not an engineer so can't comment on the specifics - you need to check it yourself.
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/chemical-engineering/courses/undergraduate/course-details/modules/

PS. Please use the reply feature so the poster you are talking to gets a notification when you do so :smile:

thank u. will check out the modules avaliable for my uni choices
to Leah (from University of Bath)

thank you for the input.
I've taken Pure Maths at A Levels; the C1, C2, C3, C4 (Core maths), FP1 & FP2 (Further Pure) units. We got to grapple with 1st and 2nd order differential equations in FP2 (excluding the very simple stuff in the core maths c4 unit), and I wanted to know if such stuff gives a significant head start in 1st year.
Also, does Applied maths mean statistics, mechanics, or what would it mean? If not these, what would it mean? I received the message that calculus is unimaginably important, so I'll brush up those skills.
Could you explain how the stuff a chemical engineer applies does that is so different from the theoretical stuff in pure sciences?

Hi again!

I did FP1 and FP2 at A-level and it was super helpful for the maths I studied in first year. Not a necessity but it does help with any maths modules you do. Having done further maths your calculus should be pretty solid so you'll be absolutely fine.

Applied maths at school does mean statistics and mechanics, yes. However, when Doonesbury said that engineering is applied maths, he means you take principles (a lot of calculus) and apply it to engineering context. For example, we take a reactor and perform mass and energy balances on it to produce a set of differential equations which we solve simultaneously to find parameters,such as time for reaction and outlet concentrations, mpositions etc. I wouldn't worry too much about mechanics. Mechanics you study at school is somewhat different to what is studied in chemical engineering. We take the basics of momentum and force balances and apply it to pipe flow. It's a module I enjoy - it feels very contextual. You can see how it is useful and it is not abstract. We don't really do statistics like you did in school, it's not really a taught aspect of the course - statistical analysis of data can be useful for lab reports and research projects though.

Engineering is applied science. This means you take scientific concepts and apply them to make things (with "make things" being a very very broad and vague term). I was told a lot at open days that chemical engineering is making good stuff from ordinary stuff without making bad stuff. We take thermodynamics (enthalpy, entropy etc.) to analyse reactions to see how they behave and take this into consideration when designing a reactor. We take concepts of the physics of molecular interactions to design separation processes. We take the laws of physics to analyse heat transfer and fluid flow in pipes. It's not all science though - we study process design and control, mathematical modelling, environmental management etc. We use everything we've learnt to design processes for producing something. Last year in my first year design project, we designed a distillation column for separating different forms of benzene.

Something I would say is that with a chemistry degree, there are probably less jobs available that actually involve the application of the content you learn at university. While many chemical engineering students do not go into related jobs (finance is a popular route), I would say more chemical engineering students end up doing chemical engineering (or something that involves things they learnt) than chemistry students doing chemistry. I do not know that for a fact. The job opportunities for a chemical engineer are vast but can be competitive if you want to work for a top company.

Hope that was helpful - please quote me if you have any more questions :smile:

Leah
Hi. Does chemical engineering actually contain a lot of chemistry?
Original post by University of Bath
Hi again!

I did FP1 and FP2 at A-level and it was super helpful for the maths I studied in first year. Not a necessity but it does help with any maths modules you do. Having done further maths your calculus should be pretty solid so you'll be absolutely fine.

Applied maths at school does mean statistics and mechanics, yes. However, when Doonesbury said that engineering is applied maths, he means you take principles (a lot of calculus) and apply it to engineering context. For example, we take a reactor and perform mass and energy balances on it to produce a set of differential equations which we solve simultaneously to find parameters,such as time for reaction and outlet concentrations, mpositions etc. I wouldn't worry too much about mechanics. Mechanics you study at school is somewhat different to what is studied in chemical engineering. We take the basics of momentum and force balances and apply it to pipe flow. It's a module I enjoy - it feels very contextual. You can see how it is useful and it is not abstract. We don't really do statistics like you did in school, it's not really a taught aspect of the course - statistical analysis of data can be useful for lab reports and research projects though.

Engineering is applied science. This means you take scientific concepts and apply them to make things (with "make things" being a very very broad and vague term). I was told a lot at open days that chemical engineering is making good stuff from ordinary stuff without making bad stuff. We take thermodynamics (enthalpy, entropy etc.) to analyse reactions to see how they behave and take this into consideration when designing a reactor. We take concepts of the physics of molecular interactions to design separation processes. We take the laws of physics to analyse heat transfer and fluid flow in pipes. It's not all science though - we study process design and control, mathematical modelling, environmental management etc. We use everything we've learnt to design processes for producing something. Last year in my first year design project, we designed a distillation column for separating different forms of benzene.

Something I would say is that with a chemistry degree, there are probably less jobs available that actually involve the application of the content you learn at university. While many chemical engineering students do not go into related jobs (finance is a popular route), I would say more chemical engineering students end up doing chemical engineering (or something that involves things they learnt) than chemistry students doing chemistry. I do not know that for a fact. The job opportunities for a chemical engineer are vast but can be competitive if you want to work for a top company.

Hope that was helpful - please quote me if you have any more questions :smile:

Leah
Reply 11

No. It's engineering (applied maths & physics) not chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

Simple answer to your question is no it doesn't. As another poster said, it is an engineering degree so mostly maths and physics.

The best way to describe it would be is that we take principles you learn in chemistry (mostly physical chemistry) and apply them to an engineering concept. Chemical engineering is all about taking a laboratory scale process and scaling it up. We don't just design the reactor and study the reactions, we also look at separation processes, process control, heat exchangers, fluid flow through pipes etc. A chemical engineer should be able to design a whole process as well as look at the technicalities of every step.

If your interest is chemistry, it is probably not the degree for you. However, if you enjoy maths and mechanics and the fundamentals of physical chemistry (we mostly look at rate law and associated theories), it is a degree which you may enjoy with lots of avenues to consider.

At the start of my degree, it is definitely more engineering than science. However, if you wanted to do a PhD and beyond, you tend to have to go back to first principle science when researching, so that's also a path to consider.

Hope that was helpful! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Leah

Hi. Thanks for such a concise reply.
I actually really enjoy math. But it's mainly calculus, algebra, a little number theory... I can stand some mechanics but its not something I'd enjoy too much of. Honestly, as long as i have some chemistry to enjoy I could survive any course with it. Btw does this:-
Original post by University of Bath
However, if you wanted to do a PhD and beyond, you tend to have to go back to first principle science when researching, so that's also a path to consider.

mean that i could study something with more chemistry in it further down the pipe (pun intended ^_^)?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi.

I don't know too much about postgraduate study so I don't want to be misleading. Depending on the PhD area which you pick, it could have more chemistry than your undergraduate degree. For example, Bath has a Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies which offers multidisciplinary study, which may interest you.

Given all this, however, you must make sure that you enjoy your undergraduate degree. A degree is a big commitment and it's 3/4 years of study (5 if you opt for MEng with placement!). It must be something you are interested in and that you will enjoy spending your time doing. Please let me know if you have more questions about the course so I can give you a better insight. As chemical engineering is not something you will have come across before in your studies it is difficult to know too much about it.

Good luck :smile:

Leah
Hi. Thanks for such a concise reply.
I actually really enjoy math. But it's mainly calculus, algebra, a little number theory... I can stand some mechanics but its not something I'd enjoy too much of. Honestly, as long as i have some chemistry to enjoy I could survive any course with it. Btw does this:-

mean that i could study something with more chemistry in it further down the pipe (pun intended ^_^)?
okay. I'm aware that Bath has slightly lower ranking for chemical engineering (as compared to manchester), does this have any real impact on teaching quality? Does it even really matter at undergrad?
also, where I'm from (I'm an international student..) Bath as a city is claimed to be unwelcoming and 'depressing'. is this propaganda from my agent so I don't go there? (i think this is the case since there's no place that's 100% so bad)
As a student you'd be more personal than a website (obviously). Are there enough things at Bath to keep an introvert happy?
what woudl you recommend I read up on before arriving at *ANY* uni to start studies? Any topics I could realistically be 1 step ahead of in?
Hi :smile: - just something to note, quote me in your reply as I might miss your questions in the future as I don't get notified!

I personally would not pay too much attention to the rankings. Apart from the top couple of unis, those in the top 10/15 tend to move around a lot but it doesn't make much difference. Each year the rankings differ and the ranking of the uni when you apply is likely to be different to the ranking when you graduate. I think it is too easy to focus on ranking when you really should focus on what the university can offer you personally.

I have never heard Bath called unwelcoming before, I personally think it has a great atmosphere. The uni is very popular with international students and campus has a lot of different nationalities. I don't where you are from the there are many societies where people of the same nationality come together form their own community.

What I love about Bath uni is the diversity and acceptance of the students. There is no judgement and everyone is really friendly. What are your interests? I linked above to the societies but the Students' Union also has many volunteering and sport opportunities that are open to everyone. Sport is open to novices and experts alike and there are so many fun beginner opportunities to get involved with. I am personally part of Canoe Club. Having never kayaked before uni, I now go on many fun trips and there is such a great community within the club - it is very accepting and welcoming. There are definitely things for you to get involved with - uni is definitely more than just studying and going to nightclubs, despite the stereotype. If you have any particular interests let me know and I can have a look if there is a society that might fit :smile:

For pre-reading, I wouldn't really worry. Enjoy your summer after exams!! Being on top of your maths knowledge is probably the most helpful thing - it is really helpful if calculus comes naturally to you when you get to uni so you don't have to think about it. Apart from that, chemistry, biology and physics is covered again in first year to bring everyone up to the same speed so you'll be absolutely fine.

Let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:

Leah
okay. I'm aware that Bath has slightly lower ranking for chemical engineering (as compared to manchester), does this have any real impact on teaching quality? Does it even really matter at undergrad?
also, where I'm from (I'm an international student..) Bath as a city is claimed to be unwelcoming and 'depressing'. is this propaganda from my agent so I don't go there? (i think this is the case since there's no place that's 100% so bad)
As a student you'd be more personal than a website (obviously). Are there enough things at Bath to keep an introvert happy?

what woudl you recommend I read up on before arriving at *ANY* uni to start studies? Any topics I could realistically be 1 step ahead of in?

Quick Reply

Latest