The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Do different A levels have more weight

By this i mean that do Unis prefer some A levels to others and if so would it affect your chance of entering them. Currently im predicted an AAB (A maths A Economics B French) which would be sufficient to get me into york for economics but i was wondering if my french dropped down from a B to a C would i still get considered because of the fact that unis like people with a language (well from what ive heard)
Reply 1
All the facts will be weighted up when making a decision, your a level grades, then they will be compared to your GCSEs, your personal statement will have some influence too. Also it depends on how many people are applying, Economics can be fairly competitive from what i have heard but i wouldn't worry too much if one grade slips.
As for your original question i haven't heard of anyone being given a preference just because they have an A-level in a foreign language, it depends on what you are wanting to study so i would assume maths and economics would be advantageous towards your degree.
University of York
York
Thanks :smile: But my more weight i didn't necesarily mean that just because i had a foreign language theyd take me in, what i meant was say someone else applied to york and got AAC as well but their C was in something like say geography (not saying its harder or easier, it just came from the top of my head so no offence to anyone doing it XD) would the subject that we got the C in play a big part?
I know my offer was 'excluding general studies' but unless a uni specifically asked for a grade in a specific subject, I don't think any subjects have different weightings
As long as you meet the conditions stated on UCAS Track, they have to let you in AFAIK. I think the grades you get in what subject thing will only really apply if you miss your offer.
A similar(ish) question, but if the offer is say, AAB, and you get AACC, or ABBC would you have priority over someone with only 3 full A levels?
Reply 6
No, if your offer is 3 A-levels, and you get 4, they only consider 3. It's not based on UCAS points. Still, if you had 4 and you narrowly miss by just one grade, they *may* be more lenient.
Reply 7
It's hard to say, you can always use it to plead your case though. It's always worth just ringing up the admissions people and begging, worst they can do is say no again.

Latest

Trending

Trending