The Student Room Group

Malaysia bans Israel from competing in Paralympics. Accused of Antisemitism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
because malaysia has a history of anti-semitism anti-zionism is just another for antisemitism.

Malaysian jews are jews living in malaysia, or those originally from the country. The state of penang was once home to a jewish community, until the latter part of the 1970s, by which time most had migrated due to growing state-sanctioned antisemitism.they were also found elsewhere in the nation, especially in negeri sembilan[citation needed] and malacca.[citation needed] indications of the growing racial and religious hostility in the nation has caused many malaysian jews to leave or flee the country.

Original post by rushdi130
lmao copy and paste from wikipedia, forgot to remove the "citation needed" after negeri sembilan lmao.... I'll reiterate again: Malaysia is one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse countries in the world, muslims dont even make the majority population in the capital city kuala lumpur, and the top 10 richest malaysians are all non-muslim.... Why would jews be treated any different... I smell bs from that wiki article u just copy-pasted, no citation, and even the table below stated that there were 31 jews living in malaysia by 1941... Hardly a significant population.

e x p o s e d
Original post by Napp
It's not much more anti-semitic than any other country. The official stance is very simple, they will not recognise the state of Israel until the Israelis stop trying to exterminate the Palestinians. This is not an unreasonable position to take and they are well within their sovereign right to deny Israelis entry to their country.

Which doesn't answer my question looloo2134 was responding to. I'll grant you that an anti-zionist view is not in itself antisemitic, but countries (like Malaysia) that seek to boycott Israel on grounds of antisemitism, but who do not boycott say Myanmar and China for their treatment of a minority ethnic group within their borders, have some explaining to do. What makes anti-zionism heinous above other crimes against minority ethnic groups?

You may have an answer, I'd be happy to hear it, but at bottom there IS a difference in how Israel gets treated and how other countries doing equally heinous things appear to be treated.
Reply 42
Original post by limetang
Which doesn't answer my question looloo2134 was responding to. I'll grant you that an anti-zionist view is not in itself antisemitic, but countries (like Malaysia) that seek to boycott Israel on grounds of antisemitism, but who do not boycott say Myanmar and China for their treatment of a minority ethnic group within their borders, have some explaining to do. What makes anti-zionism heinous above other crimes against minority ethnic groups?

You may have an answer, I'd be happy to hear it, but at bottom there IS a difference in how Israel gets treated and how other countries doing equally heinous things appear to be treated.

What was your question sorry?

Officially Malaysia boycotts Israel for the same reason that many other Muslim countries do and that is simply down to its treatment of Muslims. I mean you can argue either way about the populations feelings on Israel but the official line is very neutral on the matter in that it is simply a response to Israeli crimes against Arabs and Palestinians.
I cant speak for Myanmar but China there are two very simple reasons. 1) There is a significant Chinese minority here. 2) China provides a huge amount of revenue for the Malaysian state through trade, you don't piss off your banker.
There is also the reason (this is more my speculation than a fact) that this policy was enacted decades ago and there has been no reason for them to change it, they get along perfectly well pretending Israel doesn't exist (ironically enough a fair number of Malaysians do go on pilgrimage to Israel though). The only reason some of the Arab regimes are changing their tone is due to wanting to cosey up with the regional superpower versus Iran. (again, in ones opinion)

Well of course but one of the more salient reasons is that Israel claims to be a liberal democracy. Liberal democracies arent supposed to engage in ethnic cleansing and invoke racist laws (to say nothing of them maintaining a de facto concentration camp in Gaza and the terror they unleashed in Lebanon)
Original post by looloo2134
Malaysia government abuse people because their Jews is disgusting even if it one person why do look up your country history anti-antisemitism in Malaysia.

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/196642/anti-semitism-in-malaysia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqCs9J07_I

In response to the first article, I'm trying to read with an open mind and see the supposed evidence of anti-semitism in my country, but beyond merely anti-semitic sentiments from the right-wing party UMNO and their tactic of blaming the opposition for being "jewish puppets", that's where anti-semitism ends... No evidence whatsoever of state-sanctioned persecution of Jews or anything of the sort!! This type of stuff happens in literally ANY COUNTRY with freedom of speech!! For tabletmag.com to clickbait readers by naming their article "How Malaysia became one of the most anti-semitic places on earth" is totally irresponsible (but then again they are zionist.. so tend to be more biased).
Let me also point out that UMNO recently lost the last election... with DAP (the party that UMNO claims to have jewish funding in the article) now being part of the winning coalition, winning 42 out of 222 parliamentary seats... So does this really show that Malaysians buy into UMNO's anti-semitic tactics??? Please don't buy into how mass media tries to portray muslim countries... Most of us really aren't as bad as how the media portrays....
In response to the video: It's literally just a recording of the wikipedia article (no citations, just baseless claims and statements)... so no bother responding to -_-
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kellyhigh235
cause they are zionists. They took another peoples home. I like ultraorthodox jews. No problem with them. Cause they are religious and know that even in religion Israel is a prohibited no no state.

The paralympians are zionists? I don't think you can conclude that.
Original post by Kellyhigh235
cause they are zionists.

Cause they represent the Jewish state. That's the point.
Bro... If you have no understanding of our country whatsoever, please refrain from commenting as all you are doing is spreading misinformation! You said "Malaysia is also a country that ran out Jews with state sponsored antisemitism". STATE SPONSORED ANTISEMITISM!!!??? Please tell me at what point in history were there Jews residing in Malaysia??? Bud... Don't make a fool of yourself and look at the World Map, we're in the Far East... Not the Middle East!!! I wouldn't know at what point in history Jews would cross halfway across the world just to get to a jungle and a few villages LMAOOOO. I'm guessing you assumed our country was in the Middle East just because we're predominantly Muslim? Please research more into our country and politics... We are one of the most religiously and racially diverse countries in the world, but still no fatal terror attacks in over 20 years... You are clearly misconceived, sorry to break the bad news :frown:

While it seems me using the term 'state-sponsored' was not well sourced Malaysia is regarded as one of the most anti-semitic countries outside of the Middle East; a 2014 survey found that almost 2/3 of Malaysians believe that 'people hate Jews because of how Jews behave' and 'Jews have too much control over the American government'. Antisemitism is rife in Malaysia, it's no wonder the small Jewish community in Penang left.

I'm well aware of where Malaysia is and I'm not really sure what the lack of fatal terror attacks has to do with anything?
@Underscore__ Hmmmm... Our country is THAT HOSTILE to religious minorities that over 30,000 Christian Chin refugees from Myanmar would go on a perilous journey by foot, skipping over Thailand, just to get to predominantly Muslim 'religious minority-suppressing' Malaysia... Our country is 40% non muslim... So pls do enlighten me on why Jews would be treated any different...

I didn't say that Malaysia surpasses religious minorities. There is clearly a significant issue of antisemitism https://global100.adl.org/#country/malaysia/2014
Reply 48
Original post by Underscore__
I didn't say that Malaysia surpasses religious minorities. There is clearly a significant issue of antisemitism https://global100.adl.org/#country/malaysia/2014

Not religious minorities, theres a tonne of them. It does legally discriminate based on race though (thank the British for that one).
However, there is nothing overtly anti-semitic about the Malaysian state. As for its citizens, it is much the same as with every other country. they dont give a rats ass one was or the other about the religion. they do, however, find what Israel does to its Arab/Muslim population both in Israel proper and 'greater Israel'. Hardly an unreasonable position to take.
Reply 49
While it seems me using the term 'state-sponsored' was not well sourced Malaysia is regarded as one of the most anti-semitic countries outside of the Middle East; a 2014 survey found that almost 2/3 of Malaysians believe that 'people hate Jews because of how Jews behave' and 'Jews have too much control over the American government'. Antisemitism is rife in Malaysia, it's no wonder the small Jewish community in Penang left.

I'm well aware of where Malaysia is and I'm not really sure what the lack of fatal terror attacks has to do with anything?

Aside from the inherrent flaws in these sorts of Studies it seems to be deliberably vague on the difference between bashing jews for religious reasons (anti semitism) and because of the actions of their government... The latter is much more the case.

I'm curious do you actually know many Malaysians or have you ever been there?
Original post by Napp
Aside from the inherrent flaws in these sorts of Studies it seems to be deliberably vague on the difference between bashing jews for religious reasons (anti semitism) and because of the actions of their government... The latter is much more the case.

I'm curious do you actually know many Malaysians or have you ever been there?

You can argue all you like but you haven’t put forward anything to support your position. On top of this survey there are several statements that have been made by political leaders that bash Jews.
Reply 51
You can argue all you like but you haven’t put forward anything to support your position. On top of this survey there are several statements that have been made by political leaders that bash Jews.

My position that most Malaysians arent raving anti-semites? You do know the inherent difficulty in tyring to prove a negative right?
Not to mention i'll take your 'evidence' with a large pinch of salt owing to its highly dubious providence.
Original post by Napp
My position that most Malaysians arent raving anti-semites? You do know the inherent difficulty in tyring to prove a negative right?
Not to mention i'll take your 'evidence' with a large pinch of salt owing to its highly dubious providence.

I’ve never claimed that most Malaysians are ‘raving anti-semites’, you seem to have a tendency to put words in my mouth. I’ve provided evidence that antisemitism is common in Malaysia and all you’ve said is the source is dubious. I understand that it’s difficult to prove a negative; the correct way to defend your position is to provide counter evidence as to why the evidence I’ve provided isn’t trustworthy.
Reply 53
I’ve never claimed that most Malaysians are ‘raving anti-semites’, you seem to have a tendency to put words in my mouth. I’ve provided evidence that antisemitism is common in Malaysia and all you’ve said is the source is dubious. I understand that it’s difficult to prove a negative; the correct way to defend your position is to provide counter evidence as to why the evidence I’ve provided isn’t trustworthy.

It’s a talent of mine.
The evidence as to why it’s not trustworthy is that it’s an organisation specifically set up to call anyone and everyone antisemitic on the most hollow of grounds. They equate bashing Israel the state with antisemitism for a start and also tend to hyperbolise. Essentially they’re on a par with the splc in how loosely, and dubiously, they collect and present their data.
Either way, from someone who regularly travels there I would still seriously debate the charges levelled at them by this group. The vast majority of Malaysians couldn’t give a rats ass about Israel. However, the dim view they take is not unreasonable Malaysia has very strong present and historical links to the Arab world both culturally and religiously and they view the atrocities that the regime there get up to negatively. So I will grant you there will of course be some trickle down hatred to the individual level (as applies to all countries though).
Original post by Napp
It’s a talent of mine.
The evidence as to why it’s not trustworthy is that it’s an organisation specifically set up to call anyone and everyone antisemitic on the most hollow of grounds. They equate bashing Israel the state with antisemitism for a start and also tend to hyperbolise. Essentially they’re on a par with the splc in how loosely, and dubiously, they collect and present their data.
Either way, from someone who regularly travels there I would still seriously debate the charges levelled at them by this group. The vast majority of Malaysians couldn’t give a rats ass about Israel. However, the dim view they take is not unreasonable Malaysia has very strong present and historical links to the Arab world both culturally and religiously and they view the atrocities that the regime there get up to negatively. So I will grant you there will of course be some trickle down hatred to the individual level (as applies to all countries though).

Again, I didn’t say anything about Israel, the frailty of your argument is really shown by your unwillingness to address what I’ve actually said.

The questions they asked are clear, to remind you: almost two thirds of those surveyed believe Jews suffer because of how Jews behave; almost two thirds believe that the Jews have too much influence over the American government; over half believe that Jews don’t care about what happens to anyone other than their own kind. This shows antisemitism.

We could also address all of the comments made by political leaders in Malaysia that are blatantly antisemitic.
Reply 55
Again, I didn’t say anything about Israel, the frailty of your argument is really shown by your unwillingness to address what I’ve actually said.

What you said is that most Malaysians are rabid anti-semites. I addressed it, period.

The questions they asked are clear, to remind you: almost two thirds of those surveyed believe Jews suffer because of how Jews behave; almost two thirds believe that the Jews have too much influence over the American government; over half believe that Jews don’t care about what happens to anyone other than their own kind. This shows antisemitism.

Refer to my prior statement on the dubiousness of that particular 'pollster'. And, as i said, the dubiousness of polls to start with. Let me put it this way, if i were to take a 'random' sample group from KL it would likely be rather different from a sample group taken in JB just as it would be very different from one taken in Sabah and Sarawak. Although they're not wrong that AIPAC has an over sized influence on the government. This is common knowledge, not anti-semitic.
The fact remains you are tarring an entire nation with a dubious brush, and arguably one that doesnt exist anymore due to the loose and frankly slapdash manner in which people attribute everything and anything to anti-semitism these days.
But to go back to the thread original purpose, Malaysia has every right to deny Israelis entry to their country for any reason they so please.

We could also address all of the comments made by political leaders in Malaysia that are blatantly antisemitic.

Like...?
I'd also be curious to know how a couple of leaders, alleged, remarks constitute 32,000,000 odd people being anti-semites. Malaysia may well have anti-semites in the country (as does every country) but given that a semite is also an Arab it becomes somewhat more complex, no?

Again, though, go to Malaysia and see for yourself because i'm afraid I can put little stock in any argument that comes from a dubious organisation on par with the SPLC and where the person making this comment, i assume, has not even bothered to speak to any Malaysians on the matter.
Original post by Napp
What you said is that most Malaysians are rabid anti-semites. I addressed it, period.

No, you said: "The vast majority of Malaysians couldn’t give a rats ass about Israel" - I had never mentioned Israel, the discussion was on antisemitism, not anti-Israel opinions.

Original post by Napp
Refer to my prior statement on the dubiousness of that particular 'pollster'. And, as i said, the dubiousness of polls to start with. Let me put it this way, if i were to take a 'random' sample group from KL it would likely be rather different from a sample group taken in JB just as it would be very different from one taken in Sabah and Sarawak.

If you have a problem with their sampling the burden is on you to provide some kind of evidence that their sampling has led to a misleading result, you're yet to do that. All you've done is attack the credibility of the ADL without any foundation.

Original post by Napp
Although they're not wrong that AIPAC has an over sized influence on the government. This is common knowledge, not anti-semitic.

The AIPAC donates exactly $0 to political candidates or campaigns. The lobbying spend of the AIPAC is tiny. Please provide some kind of evidence to explain your position that the AIPAC has 'over-sized influence' on the US government.

Original post by Napp
The fact remains you are tarring an entire nation with a dubious brush

Please quote where I said all Malaysians are antisemitic.

Original post by Napp
and arguably one that doesnt exist anymore due to the loose and frankly slapdash manner in which people attribute everything and anything to anti-semitism these days.

So because some people use the term antisemitism rather loosely or inappropriately, it doesn't exist? Sound logic.

Original post by Napp
But to go back to the thread original purpose, Malaysia has every right to deny Israelis entry to their country for any reason they so please.

Something we agree on. I haven't question whether Malaysia has that right, I'm just sceptical of the motivation behind the decision given the past quotes of the president who made the decision.

Original post by Napp
Like...?

Mahathir is well known for propagating the evil Jewish cabal running the world conspiracy idea which forms the basis of virtually all antisemitism. He's been quoted as calling Jews 'hooked nosed' and having 'an instinctive sense of money'; he's inferred that Jews are looking to wipe out all Muslims; he claims that Jews 'run the world by proxy'. In a vacuum most of these quotes seem fairly innocuous but when you combine that the Jews run the world conspiracy and the results of the ADL poll it suggests a problem.

Original post by Napp
I'd also be curious to know how a couple of leaders, alleged, remarks constitute 32,000,000 odd people being anti-semites. Malaysia may well have anti-semites in the country (as does every country) but given that a semite is also an Arab it becomes somewhat more complex, no?

Again, at no point have I claimed that all Malaysians are antisemites, this is yet another example of you lying about what I've said. The results of the ADL survey, combined with the fact that a person who is a self titled 'proud antisemite' has so consistently won elections, shows a widespread problematic view.

The fact that 'semite' includes Arabs is irrelevant, 'antisemitism' is commonly understood to mean prejudice toward Jews both ethnically and religiously.

Original post by Napp
Again, though, go to Malaysia and see for yourself because i'm afraid I can put little stock in any argument that comes from a dubious organisation on par with the SPLC and where the person making this comment, i assume, has not even bothered to speak to any Malaysians on the matter.

Again, you're attacking the credibility of the ADL without any evidence. You instead want me to go and find my own anecdotal evidence.
Reply 57
No, you said: "The vast majority of Malaysians couldn’t give a rats ass about Israel" - I had never mentioned Israel, the discussion was on antisemitism, not anti-Israel opinions.

The ADL, and by extention you, have already conflated them into the same thing.

If you have a problem with their sampling the burden is on you to provide some kind of evidence that their sampling has led to a misleading result, you're yet to do that. All you've done is attack the credibility of the ADL without any foundation.

If your only reply is for me to go and ask every Malaysian myself ... Don't be so patently ridiculous.
The fact it is a highly partisan organisation with a fixed agenda is not exactly a secret...

The AIPAC donates exactly $0 to political candidates or campaigns. The lobbying spend of the AIPAC is tiny. Please provide some kind of evidence to explain your position that the AIPAC has 'over-sized influence' on the US government.

Thats a lie as well you know.
There you go though. 0-374-17772-4

Please quote where I said all Malaysians are antisemitic.

I might have hyperbolized that one slightly

So because some people use the term antisemitism rather loosely or inappropriately, it doesn't exist? Sound logic.

That is exactly what happens when you start calling absolutely everything antisemitic.

Something we agree on. I haven't question whether Malaysia has that right, I'm just sceptical of the motivation behind the decision given the past quotes of the president who made the decision.

Which premier? Razak or?
Either way the motivation is neither here nor there Israelis have been banned from Malaysia for many years, justas Malaysians are banned from visiting Israel (unless theyre Christian)

Mahathir is well known for propagating the evil Jewish cabal running the world conspiracy idea which forms the basis of virtually all antisemitism. He's been quoted as calling Jews 'hooked nosed' and having 'an instinctive sense of money'; he's inferred that Jews are looking to wipe out all Muslims; he claims that Jews 'run the world by proxy'. In a vacuum most of these quotes seem fairly innocuous but when you combine that the Jews run the world conspiracy and the results of the ADL poll it suggests a problem.

I would point out the reiteration of hoary old troped by a man whose 1 foot in the grave is hardly much of a problem. Although amusingly enough they do have certain points, if for the wrong reasons, on some of their claims. Find me a major American Bank that wasnt founded by a Jewish banking dynasty ... or a Russian one for that matter, most of their oligarchs (well the last set at any rate) tended to be jewish.

Again, at no point have I claimed that all Malaysians are antisemites, this is yet another example of you lying about what I've said. The results of the ADL survey, combined with the fact that a person who is a self titled 'proud antisemite' has so consistently won elections, shows a widespread problematic view.

Do you even know what a lie is?
No it shows an issue with one person (something you literally just said) And given that your inference that their premier is a symptom of the problem and he represents the will of Malaysians, its hardly a grand leap for you to be insinuating their all anti-semites.
I have a better question though, why do you care what his beliefs are? Malaysia and ISrael have not had any form of ties before so it is an irrelevant point that you seem to be determined to harp on about due to some queer idealism that everyone should be nice?

The fact that 'semite' includes Arabs is irrelevant, 'antisemitism' is commonly understood to mean prejudice toward Jews both ethnically and religiously.

No it really isnt.
So?

Again, you're attacking the credibility of the ADL without any evidence. You instead want me to go and find my own anecdotal evidence.

I'm pretty sure i've explained exactly why I find the ADL and polls to be a croque of **** ad nauseum. If you insist i can send you references though?
https://mondoweiss.net/2014/05/whats-survey-could-improved/ - this literally being the first result on google for it.
The fact remains its a questionable highly partisan organisation, a spy one no less, that peddles propaganda. If you dont know the flaws in polling well, then that is truly not my problem.
Original post by Napp
The ADL, and by extention you, have already conflated them into the same thing.

Where did I conflate the two?

Original post by Napp
If your only reply is for me to go and ask every Malaysian myself ... Don't be so patently ridiculous.
The fact it is a highly partisan organisation with a fixed agenda is not exactly a secret...

Oh look, you're claiming I said something that I didn't. What a new and novel approach from you. Where did I say you should go and ask all Malaysians? What I said was if you disagree with how their sampling was done then you need to provide some evidence that shows their sampling was done poorly.

So does Cancer Research UK exaggerate the number of cancer sufferers? Or Unicef exaggerate the number of children living in poverty? After all both have a vested interest in having people believe in the prevalence of the harm they were created to combat.

Original post by Napp
Thats a lie as well you know.
There you go though. 0-374-17772-4

If you think it's a lie then please do find some evidence of a donation to a campaign by the AIPAC

I'm not sure what the number is a reference to.

Original post by Napp
That is exactly what happens when you start calling absolutely everything antisemitic.

No what happens is people are less responsive to things that are labelled as antisemitic, it doesn't suddenly mean that antisemitism doesn't exist.

Original post by Napp
Which premier? Razak or?
Either way the motivation is neither here nor there Israelis have been banned from Malaysia for many years, justas Malaysians are banned from visiting Israel (unless theyre Christian)

I used the wrong term, I was referring to Mahathir.

That isn't actually true, Israelis are allowed into Malaysia they just need written permission from the Malaysian government. It's very interesting that the prime minister of Malaysia claims that Jews have an instinctive sense of money yet only allows Jews in for business purposes and not for sporting competition.

Original post by Napp
I would point out the reiteration of hoary old troped by a man whose 1 foot in the grave is hardly much of a problem.

The more significant problem is that despite him declaring himself a proud antisemite he still wins elections, in some getting over 60% of all votes. In most developed countries calling yourself a 'proud antisemite' would be enough to completely end your political career.

Original post by Napp
Although amusingly enough they do have certain points, if for the wrong reasons, on some of their claims. Find me a major American Bank that wasnt founded by a Jewish banking dynasty ... or a Russian one for that matter, most of their oligarchs (well the last set at any rate) tended to be jewish.

1. JP Morgan, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo were not started by Jews. Also, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing to suggest Citigroup, Jeffries Group, US Bancorp or PNC were founded by Jews. I've just named the majority of large US banks with the exception of Goldman. There's also nothing to suggest that any of the founders of the 10 largest companies by revenue in the US were started by Jews.

Original post by Napp
Do you even know what a lie is?
No it shows an issue with one person (something you literally just said) And given that your inference that their premier is a symptom of the problem and he represents the will of Malaysians, its hardly a grand leap for you to be insinuating their all anti-semites.

No I'm not insinuating that everyone is antisemitic as obviously not everyone voted for him. It's reasonable to suggest that there is a problem with antisemitism when a prime ministerial candidate can call themselves a 'proud antisemite' and not see their political career obliterated. Just as it would be reasonable to say there's a problem with sexism in a country if the prime minister called themselves a proud sexist. When that's then combined with a poll that shows troubling opinions it's not a jump to say that antisemitism is a problem in that country. Like I said, that is not to suggest that all Malaysians are antisemites.

Original post by Napp
I have a better question though, why do you care what his beliefs are? Malaysia and ISrael have not had any form of ties before so it is an irrelevant point that you seem to be determined to harp on about due to some queer idealism that everyone should be nice?

I don't really care if he's antisemitic; it appears to me, based on the evidence available, that he is antisemitic and that there is widespread antisemitism in Malaysia but I don't really care. Everyone should be nice but I recognise that 'nice' is subjective and a lot of people aren't what I would call nice.

Original post by Napp
I'm pretty sure i've explained exactly why I find the ADL and polls to be a croque of **** ad nauseum. If you insist i can send you references though?

You haven't, you've just claimed that they're not reliable without any reason to doubt their reliability.

Original post by Napp
https://mondoweiss.net/2014/05/whats-survey-could-improved/ - this literally being the first result on google for it.
The fact remains its a questionable highly partisan organisation, a spy one no less, that peddles propaganda. If you dont know the flaws in polling well, then that is truly not my problem.

It seems this article takes your line of reasoning that because it's in the ADL's interest for antisemitism to exist they can't be trusted to report on it. That is akin to saying that because it is in Cancer Research UK or the British Heart Foundation's interest for certain illnesses to exist, they cannot be trusted when reporting on those illnesses. What is in fact true is that the kind of groups that take a particular interest in something are the right people to research it. Ironically you have quoted a source which is likely to be opposed to the ADL and therefore, as you and they would see it, take a dim view on any survey they conduct.

It also criticises certain questions asked in the poll, most of which I haven't mentioned. However, the criticism over the the 'people dislike Jews because of how Jews behave' question seems a little insulting to the intelligence of the people polled. The criticism by the author infers that the people asked are so dim that they cannot distinguish between a Jew and an Israeli, as though they think that all Jews are Israeli. The author doesn't seem to see how self defeating his own criticism is; it would be completely unreasonable to judge all Russians, Japanese and Peruvian people by the actions of their government.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 59
Where did I conflate the two?

I said by extension you are.

[quote[
Oh look, you're claiming I said something that I didn't. What a new and novel approach from you. Where did I say you should go and ask all Malaysians? What I said was if you disagree with how their sampling was done then you need to provide some evidence that shows their sampling was done poorly.
No that was simply me misunderstanding what you wrote. No need to get your panties in a bunch of it.
All sampling is done poorly for these things it just depends how poorly and given how much Malaysia varies across its regions and between city and rural its not an outandish assumption to make.

So does Cancer Research UK exaggerate the number of cancer sufferers? Or Unicef exaggerate the number of children living in poverty? After all both have a vested interest in having people believe in the prevalence of the harm they were created to combat.

Oh hello Mr strawman i nearly missed you there. The number of patients with cancer or those children starving to death tends to be an object fact, not an opinion.
Although my your rather umm questionable logic should these organisations be supporting wars, slavery and the arms trade to keep themselves in business?

If you think it's a lie then please do find some evidence of a donation to a campaign by the AIPAC[
I'm not sure what the number is a reference to. /quote]
Go read the booj i linked. Whilst AIPAc itself notionally doesnt contribute directly it most certainly does indirectly.
I'm not sure what the number is a reference to.
It's an ISBN...

No what happens is people are less responsive to things that are labelled as antisemitic, it doesn't suddenly mean that antisemitism doesn't exist.

No but it does mean there is a delightful grey zone exists because peopkle have watered the term back so much where it can accurately be said to be devoid of much meaning anything.

I used the wrong term, I was referring to Mahathir.

I see nothing wrong with the man. He's a better chap than his predecessor.

That isn't actually true, Israelis are allowed into Malaysia they just need written permission from the Malaysian government. It's very interesting that the prime minister of Malaysia claims that Jews have an instinctive sense of money yet only allows Jews in for business purposes and not for sporting competition.

That is a de facto ban... although qualified with hard nosed realism :lol:

The more significant problem is that despite him declaring himself a proud antisemite he still wins elections, in some getting over 60% of all votes. In most developed countries calling yourself a 'proud antisemite' would be enough to completely end your political career.

Again, in this instance his alleged anti-semitism is not an issue for Malaysia and he needed to win that election regardless. Unless you think a corrupt quasi-autocrat is better than someone who plays for sound bites?

1. JP Morgan, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo were not started by Jews. Also, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing to suggest Citigroup, Jeffries Group, US Bancorp or PNC were founded by Jews. I've just named the majority of large US banks with the exception of Goldman. There's also nothing to suggest that any of the founders of the 10 largest companies by revenue in the US were started by Jews.

No, most of them have gobbled up the Jewish started ones like Lehmen, Saloman et al.
I dont recall intimating that big business was founded by jews? I merely said that their claim that finance is/was disproportionately represented by Jews had a grain of truth in it. Even if they have a rather perverse motive for saying it.

No I'm not insinuating that everyone is antisemitic as obviously not everyone voted for him. It's reasonable to suggest that there is a problem with antisemitism when a prime ministerial candidate can call themselves a 'proud antisemite' and not see their political career obliterated. Just as it would be reasonable to say there's a problem with sexism in a country if the prime minister called themselves a proud sexist. When that's then combined with a poll that shows troubling opinions it's not a jump to say that antisemitism is a problem in that country. Like I said, that is not to suggest that all Malaysians are antisemites.

Its a dubious leap to make that is all im saying on the matter.
However, I stand by him being a deserving candidate and his comments on jews dont detract from that given what Razak and him crime syndicate got up to.
Would you mind clarifying how it is a 'problem' in Malaysia though? As in what tangible negatives are attached to this allegation?

I don't really care if he's antisemitic; it appears to me, based on the evidence available, that he is antisemitic and that there is widespread antisemitism in Malaysia but I don't really care. Everyone should be nice but I recognise that 'nice' is subjective and a lot of people aren't what I would call nice.

Ideal worlds and that.

You haven't, you've just claimed that they're not reliable without any reason to doubt their reliability.

I literally just said why?

It seems this article takes your line of reasoning that because it's in the ADL's interest for antisemitism to exist they can't be trusted to report on it. That is akin to saying that because it is in Cancer Research UK or the British Heart Foundation's interest for certain illnesses to exist, they cannot be trusted when reporting on those illnesses. What is in fact true is that the kind of groups that take a particular interest in something are the right people to research it. Ironically you have quoted a source which is likely to be opposed to the ADL and therefore, as you and they would see it, take a dim view on any survey they conduct.

So because it supports my argument it must ipso facto be wrong and shot down with a shoddy straw man? Right.

It also criticises certain questions asked in the poll, most of which I haven't mentioned. However, the criticism over the the 'people dislike Jews because of how Jews behave' question seems a little insulting to the intelligence of the people polled. The criticism by the author infers that the people asked are so dim that they cannot distinguish between a Jew and an Israeli, as though they think that all Jews are Israeli. The author doesn't seem to see how self defeating his own criticism is; it would be completely unreasonable to judge all Russians, Japanese and Peruvian people by the actions of their government.

That is another reason why polls arent to be trusted, the phrasing of questions can easily be made to change the outcome (that just being general good knowledge as opposed to a specific reply)
Well seeing as they Jews//Israelis do broadly tend to be the same its not an unreasonable position to take. Not to mention, if they were interviewing the more rural Malaysians who havent been university educated on the matter - and thus probably couldnt give a **** for jews or israelis one way or the other - its hardly an egregious mistake on their part.

Usually i tend to agree on the last point however the argument can easily be made that you should be judging the population based on their government, after all, who put the government in power?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending